The best 3D backgammon game on the AppStore, a universal app with local and online multiplayer and text chat.
"I've played Backgammon games on various mobile platforms over the years and I have to admit that ArtDeco Backgammon 3D is the best one I've ever seen. The sleek graphics and fluid animation make for a cool gaming experience that can be found in no other app of this genre." - user review (5/5 stars)
ArtDeco Backgammon 3D brings you Backgammon in visually stunning 3D. Enjoy an intuitive game with a tactile experience that makes you feel like you are playing on a real art deco themed board.
The ArtDeco theme of the game ties in with the history of Backgammon as it grew and evolved in the New York clubs and societies of the 1920s. In an effort to capture this essence we bring you the game of Backgammon in the
timeless style of ArtDeco.
With multiple levels of AI to suit beginners and more advanced players, many features make gameplay feel intuitive and easy. The autosave and resume feature allows you to play the game as it suits you. If you don't have time
to finish a round, don't fret. Just exit the game, the next time you start it up you'll be back at the start of the round you were playing.
You can challenge other players with the Peer to Peer multiplayer functionality included in the game. Using GameCenter for online play, and Bluetooth connections for games with other local iOS devices.
NB: There is no match play option currently; the doubling cube, match play rules and options are not used at present.
Note that there is no competitive ranking in the online component as we are focused on casual gaming amongst friends.
*Online Multiplayer Checklist*
1. You need to have a GameCenter login.
2. You need to have GameCenter friends that also have this game.
3. You need to have an Internet connection that is not behind a firewall.
4. Via the 'Online P2P' button - invite a friend to play.
5. To receive invites from your friends you will need to have notifications enabled.
6. For best results - turn off Bluetooth when you attempt to use the online features.
If these provisions are not met you will not be able to partake in online multiplayer.
- Universal Application: all devices capabable of iOS 6.1 and above.
- Dynamic selection of High Definition graphics: The same game will run on all your iOS devices, and it will tailor its graphics to the device you are using.
- Stunning 3D graphics with super smooth animation, full screen 60FPS on iPad and iPhone 4!
- Tactile drag and drop controls that makes you feel like you are playing the board game.
- Color coded move guides to help you make your moves, and undos, in a natural fashion.
- Intuitive multi-dice moves using drag and drop.
- Intuitive undos, using drag and drop or with the undo-all button in the bottom right corner.
- Online Peer to Peer Multiplayer using GameCenter, including auto-launch in response to invites from friends. (This requires the user to allow Push Notifications for Art Deco Backgammon 3D)
- Peer to Peer Multiplayer over Bluetooth.
- Pass and Play Multiplayer sharing a single device.
- 4 levels of AI difficulty.
- Pick up and play with the auto-resume feature that lets you get back to your game after interruptions.
- Fixed AI hang on bearing off that affected a player at the end of the game.
- Sometimes the 'End Turn' message didn't always show yet the dice were able to be picked up to end the turn. This visual bug has been fixed.
- The Fast Forward AI sometimes made a suboptimal move when bearing off, it is now performing better.
Ratings and Reviews
During game play, if you only need one of your dice values to get your last pip into your home quadrant, then you cannot use the other dice value to bare off. If you kill the app and restart at that point, then all your pips will be in your home quadrant and both dice values are available to bare off.
Some bare off moves that are allowed are against the rules. You get a role that you can only move pips in your home quadrant. You try to move a pip to the one slot and it ends up baring off, when you know that is not correct.
I had an older device with a flakey battery. I would start a game, get so far and the device would restart. When the device came back up, I would start the game again. The interesting thing, was that the dice roles were not random at all. Over and over the device would restart and over and over I tried to play the game. Every time the roles for both myself and the device were the same sequence of roles. This is impossible if your are truly generating random roles.
Very enjoyable, although basic. Two complaints. It makes too many wild mistakes. Sometimes, at the very end, it won’t let me make a move.
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.