By Sophia Teutschler
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Articles is a beautiful Wikipedia reader for your iPad, iPad mini, iPhone and iPod touch.
Just enter a search term and let Articles find the Wiki entry you are looking for. Use the integrated maps feature to learn about interesting places and historic events around your current location, or anywhere else in the world. Or simply shake your device and let Articles find an entry for you. Mark interesting entries you want to read in the future and search text in the currently open document.
- Apple Design Award 2010 Winner
- App of the Week in the United States, Germany, United Kingdom and many other countries
- Best Reference App at the 2010 and 2011 Best App Ever Awards
- O'Reilly App Smackdown: Best App for Wikipedia
"Wikipedia is free on the web, right? Why spend even a couple bucks to wrap it in an app. The answer is interface. You can do far more, far more easily, with a native app than you can do with a web page." –Rene Ritchie, iMore
"There are a bunch of dedicated Wikipedia iPhone apps, and there are several I like. But I like Articles best. It’s fast, it looks great (including the formatting of articles), and it has a very clever MobileSafari-inspired UI." –John Gruber, Daring Fireball
Tips & Tricks:
- Double-tap (and hold) on the article to display the Chapter Index control.
- Tap the status bar to scroll back to the search bar.
- Pinch the article view to increase or decrease the text size.
- Tap-and-hold a link to open an article in a new page.
- Tap and hold on text to copy and paste article content.
- Tap and hold on links and images to reveal more actions.
Additionally on iPhone and iPod touch:
- Tap and hold the Toolbar to start customizing all items.
- Pull down the article view to lock or unlock the current screen orientation.
- Shake your device to open a random article.
What's New in Version 2.6.1
- Fixed am issue when adding new bookmarks.
- If you like Articles, please consider leaving a review. That helps us a lot. Thanks!
Three years ago, I reviewed this app and gave it 5 stars. There haven't been any updates since then, and that actually makes me happy. Bug fixes are fine, and tweaking to work with iOS updates, but the developer hasn't tried to improve a simple, elegant app by adding or changing it just for the sake of issuing an update. This app does what it was meant to do--make finding and reading wikipedia articles easier and more pleasant. It does it quickly. The font and layout are attractive and make reading easier (does anyone even realize any more that sans-serif fonts actually make it harder to read print?). I can have multiple pages open as well as bookmark articles. The app works well with Evernote. I use this app more than 85-90% of the other apps on my phone. And I am grateful the developer hasn't tried to improve an app that doesn't need it.
Superb Wikipedia reader
I use it all the time. Attractive layout, multiple windows, bookmarks and a read later list that shows you the context of the page from which you saved the link. Separate contents, image and table pop-over windows. Works well in horizontal or vertical mode on iPad. A well-thought-out, polished app. The only imperfection I've found is that new page loads sometime hang after a long session of following links. You can't download articles for offline reading. I use Wikipanion+ for that. Overall, though, Articles is my favorite way to browse the mighty Wikipedia.
My favorite Wikipedia app
I’ve tried a few and I like this the best. However, Developer please update to iPhone 6 and add iCloud syncing between devices (iPad Air and iPhone 6). If you charge for it and the price isn’t too high, I will purchase it straight away! (I tried Wikipanion+ and it was nightmarish to use—difficult, confusing, and not as flexible as Articles!)
Like the fact that I can create folders and place articles in the folders.
Did not like the fact that I lost all my bookmarks/folders when I upgraded to the iPhone 6.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Sep 19, 2013
- Version: 2.6.1
- Size: 18.4 MB
- Languages: English, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish
- Seller: Sophia Teutschler
- © 2009-2014 Sophia Teutschler
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.