By Artiphon, Inc.
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
This is the iOS companion app for the Artiphon INSTRUMENT 1. Connect the INSTRUMENT 1 device to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod using the provided USB-to-Lightning cable, download the Artiphon app, and immediately start exploring and combining an intuitive palette of musical sounds, techniques, and features.
• Use the Artiphon app to play a custom-built collection of sounds that includes: guitar, violin, piano, drums, ukulele, bass, vibes, wind, bells, organ, electric piano, square wave, sine wave, and triangle wave.
• Design your own instruments by combining techniques, sounds, and tunings, and then save those custom presets to your personal library.
• Use this app to choose the modes and methods for playing your INSTRUMENT 1. Modes include Fretted, Fretless, Grid, and Pad. Methods include Strum, Bow, Slide, Tap, and iBow.
• Use the app to configure and store custom presets that you can then access when connecting your INSTRUMENT 1 to your favorite music software like Ableton Live, GarageBand, Logic, MainStage, Cubase, and more.
• Use the Artiphon app’s built-in arpeggiator to automatically cycle through notes and chords in Fretted, Fretless, Grid, and Pad modes.
• Use the app’s iBow feature to play the INSTRUMENT 1 using your iPhone or iPod as a virtual bow.
• The INSTRUMENT 1 can also be played with any iOS, OS X, or PC program that accepts MIDI. Try the INSTRUMENT 1 with other iOS apps including GarageBand, Animoog, ThumbJam, and dozens more.
• To customize your INSTRUMENT 1 when connecting it to a Mac or PC, download the desktop Preset Editor app from Artiphon.com.
We invite you to report any issues you observe while using the app to: email@example.com. Thanks!
What's New in Version 1.2.0
• Introducing Smart Strum, our new favorite way to play pretty much anything
• Improved MPE Compatibility for synths in GarageBand, Logic Pro X, and more
• All factory presets have been refined and updated
• Pitch bend range is now 48 (adjustable), and CC11 is now CC74
Introducing an entirely new way to play your INSTRUMENT 1: simply press anywhere on a fret and strum the whole chord! It’s a supremely fun and simple music-making too–whether you’re a beginner or a virtuoso, songwriting has never been more intuitive. Check out our YouTube page for some video demos.
Multidimensional Polyphonic Expression (say that three times fast!) allows MIDI controllers like The Artiphon INSTRUMENT 1 to automatically play nicely with apps like GarageBand, even when using fretless techniques and pressure sensitivity. Trust us, you’re living in the future.
New and Improved Presets
The INSTRUMENT 1 now plays even better right out of the box. This update brings a few changes to the standard presets. Violin is now fretted, Piano is a “just the white keys” pad tuning, and drums are mapped by region (kick| snares | hats | cymbals | toms). In addition, we’ve refined all of the factory presets for better playability and versatility.
Other Tweaks and Fixes
• New Pitch Bend slider lets you switch between 12, 24, and 48-note bends for better compatibility with your older synths. It’s set to 48 by default.
• Tap is now an available method in Fretted Mode. (Previously you had to change the Hammer-On Sensitivity to “Tap.”) You can still strum on the bridge using this technique.
• Channel Pressure is now sent from the bridge in Tapped Grid and Pad presets.
• String bending is now available for Fretted Bow presets (for auto-tuned violin vibrato, of course).
• Hammer-on sensitivity settings have been refined for more control, fewer unintended notes, and better fingerboard muting capability.
• Bow method now sends Brightness (CC74) instead of Expression (CC11). Crazy, right?
• Tutorial animation has been removed from the app. Visit start.artiphon.com for videos, tutorials, and app recommendations.
• Tilt and Pressure effects have been removed from many of the sounds, they will return better than ever in a future release.