The new version of the international award-winning ArtLens App combines the most current technology and innovative design with a wealth of interpretive content for every work of art on view at the Cleveland Museum of Art. The app’s redesigned interface is clean and intuitive and the wayfinding map is more responsive, using 252 iBeacons throughout every gallery in the museum to improve accuracy and eliminate the need for paper maps. ArtLens App uses Bluetooth technology to connect to the museum’s iconic ArtLens Wall and ArtLens Exhibition interactives. Photos taken during ArtLens Exhibition gameplay save directly to a device's camera roll. The App updates in real-time ensuring that users have access to the most accurate information available.
The ArtLens App features five main categories:
Search the CMA's collection by artist name, artwork title, and accession number to discover works on view in the museum. Here you can find a scrollable list of “Recent Acquisitions," “Collection Highlights,” and “Top Ten Visitor Favorites."
· Scan: Using innovative image-recognition software, ArtLens App seamlessly recognizes a selection of two-dimensional artworks and provides additional curatorial and interpretive content.
· Map: Galleries are color-coded and grouped thematically to facilitate easier navigation. Tap any gallery number to see a gallery description and all artworks in that gallery.
· Wayfinding: Push the “Find Me” button at any time to find your exact location in the museum.
· Content: Includes every artwork on view, including more than 1,500 videos, available for selected artworks. Changes to any object on view are dynamically and immediately updated from the backend systems across the app and throughout the museum.
· Nearby Artworks: Visitor-favorited and featured artworks.
· Bluetooth: ArtLens App uses Bluetooth to connect to ArtLens Wall and all interactives in ArtLens Exhibition, making synchronization seamless.
Select from "Featured," "Multimedia," "Themed," and Visitor-Created" tours in ArtLens App. The mapping feature locates specific artworks and navigates the entire tour.
Favorited artworks on the Wall and the App and artworks played in ArtLens Exhibition interactives are automatically saved in "You.” Favorites can be used to create personalized tours, find specific artworks or share on social media.
Get a daily snapshot of events and special exhibitions occurring at the museum as well as the location of restrooms, restaurants and exits. Museum hours of operation are also listed on this page.
Bug fixes and stability improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
Only 1 reason it didn’t get 5 stars.
I’m an art novice so the only reason I didn’t give it 5 stars is because while you’re listening to the videos you can’t put your phone to sleep even though the app can be used in the background. This means you’re holding your phone the entire time. Would be nice to listen with my phone on my pocket.
Really nice, tons of content... could use an iPhone version
Can't wait to try this on-site. For now, I can at least say the at-home content is impressive! Very high-res images, which you can save as Favorites to come back to. You can navigate the museum map without being there. (One question: I see user-created tours... is it possible to create tours using the app?)
Some details on the data loading, so people know what to expect: the app grows to about 355MB (and I'd guess that will slowly increase in future), so that's the space you'll need on your iPad. The downloading of all those images does indeed take a while, so do it before you go to the museum! Launch the app and wait for the download bar to finish. A couple good things about this big image download step: 1) if you quit the app, the download stops, but it resumes where you left off next time you launch it. And 2) you don't have to keep your screen turned on to do the download. I launched the app, turned the screen off, and later everything had downloaded anyway.
Request: I'd love to have an iPhone version, since I always have my iPhone with me!
transforms the museum experience
With this delightful iPad app, the CLE Museum of Art has changed how museums interact with their patrons. Formerly forced to rely solely on the small plaques adjacent to each work of art for details about the artist, the period, or the influences of the time, the Artlens app provides a wealth of information about the artworks, pulling in textual commentary, supplementary videos, informative narrations and suggestions for other pieces to view.
Artlens' brilliant execution transforms the museum from a sterile viewing chamber to an interactive, fun and engaging collection of interesting and inspiring artworks that lets each patron learn as much as they want, and suggests other relevant pieces to expand their interest in and knowledge of the CMA collection.
- THE CLEVELAND MUSEUM OF ART INC
- 64.4 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- © Cleveland Museum of Art
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.