ArtRage for iPhone
By Ambient Design Ltd.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Express your artistic side with easy to use painting and drawing tools that work just like the real thing!
ArtRage packs a powerful physical paint simulation into a creative experience that lets users of all skill levels explore natural painting on the iPhone.
ArtRage doesn't just place color on a canvas, it keeps track of how much paint there is and how wet it is, so you can blend colors under the brush as you paint without changing to a blending tool, or lay down thick lines of pigment for flattening and smearing with the Palette Knife.
Canvas grain affects the look of your strokes, and drier pigments break up on the surface to create textured effects. It's not just a special effect, it's a live simulation of the properties of real paint.
Add Layers to your painting to work on individual elements without damaging others. Import photos to smear around like oil paint, or as Tracing Images that are overlaid on the canvas, and have ArtRage select colors from them automatically as you paint.
The interface has been designed specifically for the iPhone, compacted to maximize your creative space without hiding away critical functions such as tool and color selection. As you paint, controls get out of the way so that you don’t have to stop and manually adjust panels. With support for Multi-Touch gestures, important shortcuts are available without needing any interface.
- High quality strokes respect the volume of paint on the canvas, letting you play with texture as well as color.
- Oil Brush with thickness and smearing.
- Palette Knife for spreading and blending pigment.
- Paint Tube for laying down thick blobs of oil.
- Inking Pen with auto-smoothing for crisp illustration.
- Pencil for sketching or shading.
- Crayon for waxy shaded lines.
- Eraser and Flood Fill.
- Each tool comes with a set of variant types for different effects.
- Tap and drag tool selection allows you to pick a tool in one quick gesture.
- HLS Color picker for intuitive color selection.
- Color swatches for storing favorites.
- Tap and drag color selection allows you to pick colors in one quick gesture.
- Add Layers to your canvas with easy adjustment of opacity and visibility.
- Unlimited Undo / Redo.
- Tracing Images.
- Create files of 320 x 480, or 640 x 960 (Retina display only).
- Uses shared file space so you can transfer files to and from your desktop computer.
- Export PNG or JPG by email, or export to your Photos App.
- Import photos to a new file or a layer.
- Use the camera as a source for New Files, References, Layers, or Tracing Images.
- Easy access pods in the corners provide important functionality without getting in the way.
- Elements vanish as you paint so you can paint underneath without having to stop.
- Multi-Touch provides instant shortcuts for canvas manipulation and Brush Size.
- Quick Reference and Help cover the basics of the application.
What's New in Version 1.1
Fixed a bug that caused rendering artefacts on the iPhone 6 Plus - Paintings were being created properly but displayed with white bands.
Updated for iOS 8 and larger phone screen resolutions.
Update is bresh of fresh air for the best painting app around!
There are many apps for painting and sketching in the app store. If you're an illustrator or just want to doodle,sketch or play with color there are a bunch of good apps that will satisfy. If you're a painter however there is no better app than ArtRage. ArtRage for desktop,iPad and iPhone are all different in feel and as you decrease in device size so do the features available, but AR for iPhone is still a lovely little pocket tool for exploring virtual oil paint. ArtRage is,in my opinion. the most realistic painting software around, and as a painter I've tried them all. Try using the paint tube tool and squeeze out a few colors and use the palette knife to blend and you'll see what I mean.
The UI for this app makes it very easy to get to the tool you want quickly which is important. It's also not crammed with tons of settings and hidden gestures. Aside from a simple menu if you want to change the size of your tool its three fingers up or down. That's it.
This update brings the iPhone app up to speed with iOS7/8 but I look forward to more tools being added. I've heard from the developers that major updates for both iOS versions are coming this year,so I'm excited.
Not worth the $ for the iPhone version.
A friend of mine told me about this app and said that he uses this on his iPad and suggested I download it. I paid the $2 for it and it sucked. I could have gotten a better one for free. He then told me it looked completely different on the iPad. So I try to transfer this app to my iPad and can't. Because the iPad version costs $5... Cool. So I paid $2 for an app I'll never use. All in all $7 for ArtRage. I like it waaaay better on the iPad. It actually gives you options. Don't waste your money on this app unless you have an iPad. Seriously.
Excellent art app
I've tried dozens of art apps, and this one is by far the most feature-rich, responsive, and customizable. So much so that I also bought the version for iPad, which is wonderful to work with.