ArtRage for iPhone
By Ambient Design Ltd.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Suggested for iPhone 4 or later.
Express your artistic side with easy to use painting and drawing tools that work just like the real thing!
ArtRage packs a powerful physical paint simulation into a creative experience that lets users of all skill levels explore natural painting on the iPhone.
ArtRage doesn't just place color on a canvas, it keeps track of how much paint there is and how wet it is, so you can blend colors under the brush as you paint without changing to a blending tool, or lay down thick lines of pigment for flattening and smearing with the Palette Knife.
Canvas grain affects the look of your strokes, and drier pigments break up on the surface to create textured effects. It's not just a special effect, it's a live simulation of the properties of real paint.
Add Layers to your painting to work on individual elements without damaging others. Import photos to smear around like oil paint, or as Tracing Images that are overlaid on the canvas, and have ArtRage select colors from them automatically as you paint.
The interface has been designed specifically for the iPhone, compacted to maximize your creative space without hiding away critical functions such as tool and color selection. As you paint, controls get out of the way so that you don’t have to stop and manually adjust panels. With support for Multi-Touch gestures, important shortcuts are available without needing any interface.
- High quality strokes respect the volume of paint on the canvas, letting you play with texture as well as color.
- Oil Brush with thickness and smearing.
- Palette Knife for spreading and blending pigment.
- Paint Tube for laying down thick blobs of oil.
- Inking Pen with auto-smoothing for crisp illustration.
- Pencil for sketching or shading.
- Crayon for waxy shaded lines.
- Eraser and Flood Fill.
- Each tool comes with a set of variant types for different effects.
- Tap and drag tool selection allows you to pick a tool in one quick gesture.
- HLS Color picker for intuitive color selection.
- Color swatches for storing favorites.
- Tap and drag color selection allows you to pick colors in one quick gesture.
- Add Layers to your canvas with easy adjustment of opacity and visibility.
- Unlimited Undo / Redo.
- Tracing Images.
- Create files of 320 x 480, or 640 x 960 (Retina display only).
- Uses shared file space so you can transfer files to and from your desktop computer.
- Export PNG or JPG by email, or export to your Photos App.
- Import photos to a new file or a layer.
- Use the camera as a source for New Files, References, Layers, or Tracing Images.
- Easy access pods in the corners provide important functionality without getting in the way.
- Elements vanish as you paint so you can paint underneath without having to stop.
- Multi-Touch provides instant shortcuts for canvas manipulation and Brush Size.
- Quick Reference and Help cover the basics of the application.
What's New in Version 1.0.4
- Support for iPhone 5 screen resolution added.
- Fixed a problem that could cause paintings to be created at 1/2 screen resolution on Retina devices.
Wow!!! Amazing! ...but...
This would be absolutely perfect, but there is one biggish issue... If I put my finger/stylus at one point and drag down, the paint/ink/whatever does NOT start where I started with my finger! It starts about a centimeter away. Doesn't seem like much, but when you have a small screen already... Yikes!
Also, along with that, there is a bit of a lag from when I swipe to when things show up... Hmm.
On the other hand, though, you have paint that actually dries and smudges accordingly, a pencil that smudges like a pencil, and the same for crayons. Opacity for layers... I don't know about individual paint yet, though. There are 8 types of "brushes" (brush (oil paint), pen, palette, tube, fill, pencil, crayon, and eraser) and each has 4 options for it. The paint, crayons, pencil, etc each have different textures and blend differently.
Even though there are more good things than bad, I have to admit that I do not like the way that the paint stroke does not start where I do. I will continue to try get used to this app, continue to update my review, and will look forward to new updates!!!
Also, I apologize for the long review, but I thought someone buying an app would like an in-depth review to read over.
Incredible!!! Highly addictive!
I absolutely love this app! Brilliant and all this on my lil' ol' iPhone. Wow! I can't wait for more updates and how much better it gets.
I just keep sketching/painting more and more and everywhere. People watching me are impressed and I have turned a few on in getting the app... To their joy as well.
Keep up the great work!
The zoom could definitely use some work as it always glitches. Maybe add a dodge/burn tool like in photoshop to make shading easier? Another idea would be to make a tool so that you could change the size of the photos you add on different layers.
I use this app to create horse linearts and so far it has been just perfect.