By Tran Ky Nam
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
"The Best Text Expansion App" - LifeHacker
* aText Mac App Store version no longer works on OS X 10.11 El Capitan and later because of new App Sandboxing restrictions. If you purchased aText on Mac App Store, please visit aText's web page for instruction to switch to non-sandboxed version for free.
* On OS X 10.9 and 10.10: please drag&drop aText.app into Accessibility list (in System Preferences \ Privacy) before using this app.
aText accelerates your typing by replacing abbreviations with frequently used phrases you define.
E.g. make an abbreviation “myname” to insert your name “First Middle Last” in any application.
With aText you can easily avoid typing the same thing over and over.
• Insert images and formatted text.
• Capitalize new sentences. Correct double capitals.
• Insert the current date and time in any format. Insert day in the future or the past, for example: next Sunday, previous Monday.
• Embed clipboard content in snippet, embed another snippet, use editable fields in snippet, send any key (such as Esc, Tab, Enter, arrow keys, etc).
• Reposition the cursor in the expanded snippet.
• Invoke AppleScripts and Shell Scripts.
• Import data from TextExpander, TypeIt4Me, SpellCatcherX, CSV file.
• Sync via iCloud/Dropbox/Google Drive/SkyDrive.
What's New in Version 2.17
Added option to disable Auto-Correction or snippet group in specific input methods.
Added ability to add note to snippet.
Improved "wildcard search" usability.
Good — when it works!
I picked this software because I did not like the policies of the main competitor, who sell what I think is an expensive product then require repurchasing for every OS update. I thought this would be an alternative, but it seems every major OS update makes the software stop working, and El Capitan is apparently never going to be supported in the App Store version (I mean, it’s been over six months now).
So, bought the software in August or September 2015 and got my shortcuts all set up. Mid-September, upate to El Capitan and the software, which I use constantly for work, doesn’t function. Follow instructions to download web version and “transfer” license. All is working OK. Several weeks later, I changed the hard drive on my computer, and had to go through the whole thing again. This morning (Feb. 15, 2016) I restarted my Mac, which had slowed to a crawl for some reason, and I get the notice that my trial period is up and I need to purchase a license. What the ^#$! ? I’ve been through the transfer from App Store routine *twice* and it apparently didn’t take.
I bought this to make my work faster, not to futz around with copy protection on the utility software. *Fix the App Store version!* The only reason not to fix the App Store version is if the developer can’t be bothered *or* it’s doing something that is now against Apple’s policies (which do change) that the developer can’t fix.
I have purchased the app in August, and the system gave me a license number, but did not send an email with such number to keep for my records. In October, I had to re-install my OS, and the app has been wiped out. I re-downloaded it, but the updated version was a trial, which required a license number. The system adised that I should contact the developer, if I do not have the license number. I contacted the developer twice, but received no response. Purchasing this app may be a waste of money because you may need to re-purchase it again.
While the app was functioning on my computer, it often failed to write out the shortcuts. I would have to re-type them.
I would be OK with the occasional imperfections in the write out, but I am outraged about the lack of technical support, dispite their own recommendations.
App Store Version DOES NOT WORK - Don’t waste your money
I downloaded the trial of aText from the dev’s website and it worked like a dream. Instead of purchasing through their site, I decided to purchase the app through the Apple App Store to make my life easier (I tend to do fresh installs a lot).
To my surprise, I can not get this version of aText to work.. I type a short cut and I hear the click confirming it worked but no text changes (it is NOT a settings issue). I have resorted to using the trial on the dev’s website since it is a different version that actually functions like it’s supposed to.
Please do yourself a favor and DO NOT purchase this app through the Apple App Store. I have read that the dev provides NO support so just purchase something different and don’t waste your money with aText.