Audible – audio books, original series & podcasts
By Audible, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Welcome to Audible. We’re an Amazon company, and home to an unmatched selection of audio books. And now Amazon Prime and Audible members also have access to Audible Channels, offering unlimited listening to original series and handcrafted playlists for every interest.
Turn any time into storytime: listen to your favorite stories anywhere, on your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad. Speed through your commute with a thriller, fuel your next training session with facts, find yourself transported into a realm of romance and intrigue, while your carpet gets cleaner than ever before. With Audible, the possibilities are endless.
Listen to best sellers:
•The Girl on the Train
•Truly, Madly, Guilty
•The Power of Habit
•A Man Called Ove
•When Breath Becomes Air
•End of Watch
A wide range of popular categories like:
•Crime and Thrillers
•Mindfulness and meditation
Features designed for the audiobook listener:
• Chapter navigation
• Listen over wifi, save on data
• Download to your device for offline listening
• Create clips of favorite passages and share with friends and on social media
• Send any book in your library to your friends - their first book is on us
• Sleep mode, dark or light theme, variable narration speed, button-free mode and more
• Compatible with thousands of ebooks from Amazon- switch seamlessly between listening to your audiobooks and reading on your Kindle with Whispersync for Voice.
• The app syncs your furthest listening position for bookmarks, notes, and clips between iPad, iPhone and iPod touch, using Whispersync technology.
Supports Audible.com, Audible.com.au, Audible.co.jp, Audible.co.uk, Audible.de, Audible.it, and Audible.fr
Let us help you at www.audible.com/help or get in touch on Twitter @audible_com
What's New in Version 2.22.1
Bug fixes and performance improvements
Barely better than using mp3s
I’m rating the Audible app here and not the Audible service itself (which is great, so you know).
The app is not great. Yes, I can listen to my audiobooks with it. Yes, it crashes less than it used to. Hooray, it has literally the minimum required feature set.
But as far as actually doing anything useful beyond that (because, y’know, I could just download the Audible files from the website and transfer those over using itunes), it fails to deliver.
* it doesn’t retain the “Finished” statuses of books from one device to another.
* More importantly, it doesn’t have any understanding of the existing of a book series. If I finish book 3 and own book 4, it should make it easy to download and start playing book 4 - but it doesn’t.
* Failing that, it should at least consistently provide the series info when viewing the book details, e.g., this is Book 3; the first in the series is blah, the next book is blah (it doesn’t)
* Failing even that, it could expose the book series metadata that is on the website (it doesn’t)
* Or worst case scenario, it could let you leave notes on a book and view them later, so that you can mark every book in a series with what number they are
The downloading, navigation, and listening experience within a single book is solid and seamless, thus why I gave this two stars instead of one.
Somebody is listening
The app's latest major update of about a year ago made the app vastly better to use: Key features: put books into collections, search by title author or collection, sleep mode button on first screen, sync or not all devices or just current device/book on notification.
Some things need work. Can't readily see my own review of books I've read, turning sleep back on after it shuts off reruns to start of chapter when sleep on button fist set, causing loss of place, but sometimes not--algorithm not clear, overdone security by most times, but not always, not letting you buy books via iPhone.
All-in-all quite flexible and easy to use with lots of other features from previous iterations (e.g. Voice speed-up with adjustment to frequency so it can be understood).
Audible and the great courses
Ok so this is more of a review of the service not the app but I just felt like I need to tell you guys how audible and the great courses changed my life they opened my mind to so many different subjects it's just amazing I recommend every person who's interested in physics history medicine or whatever science you like to check out the great courses on audible because with the monthly credit system it becomes way cheaper than just buying the courses outright from the great courses website I'm not kidding their like 12 bucks an audible where they're like 150 or even 200 bucks on their website although I gotta say even if I had to pay that much per course I think it's worth it. They're that amazing.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Books
- Updated: Apr 17, 2017
- Version: 2.22.1
- Size: 81.4 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese
- Seller: Audible, Inc.
- © 2015. Audible, Inc
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.