Audio Plugin Player
By Defective Records Software
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Audio Plugin Player is a lightweight VST and AU instrument plugin host, that allows you to play these instruments using either your mouse, computer keyboard, or MIDI device (both hardware and software MIDI devices supported). It has a simple, one-screen interface, that will let you start making music with your favorite audio instrument plugins in seconds – just drop your plugin onto the application window, make your input and output choices, and you're ready! Audio Plugin Player allows you to route your plugin instrument through a plugin effect (either VST or AU), and also lets you route external audio through a plugin effect too.
What's New in Version 1.3
• New ability to route external audio input through effect plugin, rather than output of plugin instrument
• New ability to transpose notes when in MIDI input mode
• New ability to send MIDI output generated from plugin instrument
• New ability to unload a plugin without loading a new one
• New ability to refresh patch names for plugins
• New ability to close preferences window by clicking logo on top, as well as by Close button
• Fixed bug in QWERTY Global input mode, should now be more reliable on various systems
• Updated app to comply with Mac App Store sandbox restrictions
Nice little app!
Awesome update to a great little app! Really useful for quick and dirty use of plugins (both instruments and effects). Nice to see the developer still updating this too, based on user feedback!
Great idea, some problems
I bought this as an alternative to using mainstage as an AU host (with soundflower to route) and apply room correction software to my default audio outputs. Mainstage is heavy, and a full DAW is even worse. (Another option is to use AULab from Apple, but that requires a full install of Xcode.) I was pretty excited to find something that met my needs. Except it doesn't:
Doesn't support 64 AU/VST plugins.
Crashes on loading the *only* plugin that I want this for (IK ARC2,) actually it crashes on about half of my third party plugins.
Doesn't have an Audio Unit browser (was it installed system-wide, in my profile, in the all-users profile … annoying.)
No Longer works
After most recent update the app crashes every time I try to load it. Please fix it!