Audiobook & Podcast Player
By Contity Consulting, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
This Player is ideal for listening to the audiobooks and podcasts in your iPod media library!
See demo on youtube (look for "Audiobook & Podcast Player")
- Automatically remembers where you are in each book and podcast you are listening to.
- Easy navigation including quick jumps back and forth in 10 second, 1 and 10 minute increments.
- Falling asleep? Set the sleep mode count-down timer to pause the player just like on your TV.
- "Time Travel" allows you to go back to whatever you were listening to at a given time in the past.
- Library browser automatically keeps track of the recent titles you listened to.
No need to purchase upfront. Try out this fully functional version for free! After you had a chance to evaluate it for a couple of days, you will be kindly requested to purchase it for $2.99 from within the application using iTune's In-App-Purchasing.
What's New in Version 1.1
- background playback
- bug fix: iOS5 pause on skip
- bug fix: slider
- bug fix: podcast episodes sort by date
For Audiobook Lovers, A Perfect Replacement for iPad's Music App
With iOS 5 for iPad, Apple replaced the Audio app with the Music app and basically broke playback of multi-file audiobooks and removed a lot of functionality for playback of audiobooks and podcasts (such as 30 second rewind). This app essentially resorts a lot of the removed functionality to the iPad (despite the fact that it's an iPhone app) and that's what I use it for.
What's best about it is that it reads audiobooks and podcasts from the iOS Audio//Music library. That means you don't have to mess around with the awkward 3rd party app document system. Youf can move files by normal drag-and-drop, sync, store download, etc. and still view and use them in Apple's app.
I'd prefer it this a universal or iPad app and perhaps a little prettier but that's a small quibble. It's easy enough to use at either x1 or x2 sizes.
Since it came up in another review, it's important to set some information straight: the app is fully functional and free and the optional payment of (currently a whopping $3) is hardly mercenary. Also, when you buy the upgrade for you copy on one device, you get the upgrade for all the iOS devices that use the same iTunes account. Just press the Restore Previous Purchase" button in each app using the same account.
V 1.1 not ready for primetime?
Conceptually great but came up short compared to the resident software. Here's why I couldn't purchase it for my iPod touch. Arranged by priority:
1. No touch sensitive volume slider.
2. Font size on header too small and font while true to the content is harder to read than fonts like Arial. "Episode" font size is smaller than "title" Font size and that is wrong priority in my opinion for audiobooks. Too difficult to read font while changing episodes in difficult conditions with distractions. Episode # is what matters for any series.
3. Multiple time interval controls are great, but font size differentiating them is hard to see and therefore confusing.
4. Seems to boot up a bit slower than resident software.
5. Evaluation period is frustratingly short. Insufficient time to get comfortable with the features. The short evaluation highlighted the shortcomings to the detriment of its nice features.
This has the potential to be a truly great app well worth the cost. I wanted to buy it but the usage challenges it presented as noted above said - not yet. I'll stay with the resident player for now but will stay tuned for improvement.
Better than Music for audiobooks
When I tried listening to an audiobook on Music, I was very disappointed. There was no continuous play between tracks, and even worse, when one track stopped, the player goes blank, leaving no hint of where you were. With an audiobook of over 100 chapters, this is very frustrating! This app is much better. It groups all tracks into one large file so you can see how far you are into the audiobook and how far you have left. It also has buttons that let you skip one minute, ten minutes or just ten seconds, in case you miss a little or a lot. The only glitch i have found with this app is that the playback will skip back a second and repeat itself when you go into the app, which is hardly a problem. It also is only available for iPhone, but don't let that stop you from grabbing it. The functionality greatly outweighs the tiny player's appearance. Great download!
- Category: Books
- Updated: Nov 02, 2011
- Version: 1.1
- Size: 1.7 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Contity Consulting, LLC
- © Contity Consulting, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Upgrade - Audiobook & Podcast Player$2.99