Audulus is a minimalist modular audio processing application. Design sound from first principles.
▶ Winner of Electronic Musician Magazine Editor's Choice Award, 2017
"Audulus 3 is out and is stunning!" - Richard Devine, devinesound.net
"beautiful interface" - Peter Kirn, createdigitalmusic.com
▶ Run Audulus as an Audio Unit inside other apps! ◀
With Audulus, you can build synthesizers, design new sounds, or process audio. All with low latency real-time processing suitable for live performance. Audulus's user interface is clean, simple, and easy to learn, allowing you to focus on sound.
"The biggidy bomb coolest most super tech-nerd fun times soft synth I've bought in recent times!"
- Mac App Store Australia review
"Love this App. It has one of the best UIs I've ever used."
- USA Mac App Store review
"Remarkable gesture control"
▶ Visit our forum for exciting user-created patches! ◀
▶ Key Features:
• fluid interface - smooth animated interaction
• MIDI control - use your control surface or MIDI keyboard
• presets - quickly change between settings
• unlimited history - everything you do is stored
• polyphony - process multiple voices
• encapsulation - group nodes into sub-patches
• diverse nodes - from ADSR to ZeroCross
• audio unit version - run Audulus as an Audio Unit inside other apps (free download)
• iCloud support - effortlessly sync patches between Mac and iPad
▶ Featured Built-in Modules:
• Analog modeling ladder, diode, and IC filters based of classic designs
• JFET, Tube, and Diode VCAs
• 3D, probabilistic, and random sequencers
• Chebyshev Additive VCO
• Quadrature Sine LFO
• Icebox Audio Freezer granular looping effect
• Many utilities like clock dividers, multipliers, logic gates, and complex envelopes
...and many more!
▶ Built-in Nodes:
• Virtual Analog Oscillator (4 waveforms)
• ADSR Envelope
• Noise Generator
• Mathematical Modules: Addition, Multiplication, Subtraction, Sine, Modulo
• Random Number Generator
• MIDI controlled Keyboard
• MIDI assignable trigger
• 16-Step Sequencer
• Low Pass Filter
• High Pass Filter
• Pitch Shifter
• Constant Value
• Mapper Curve
• Piecewise-linear Spline Curve
• 4-Channel Mixer
• Level Meter
• Value Meter
• Scrolling Waveform Meter
• Polyphonic to Monophonic signal mixer
• Global Time
• Zero-crossing Counter
• Audio Unit Plug-in
• Custom Nodes - build your own modules!
• Math expression module -34 Math nodes in one!
• Timing mode - figure out which nodes are using the most CPU!
• Switch pack - two nodes for signal routing, more to come!
• Poly pack - Stereo and Quadraphonic processing!
▶ Recommended Hardware: Mid 2010 Mac. May not run well on older hardware. Intel GMA 950 Graphics is not supported. ◀
- Fix intermittent crash on closing document.
New in 3.5:
- Updated module library: hundreds of new and improved modules, including analog modeling VCFs and VCAs, new effects like the Icebox Audio Freezer, and many new useful module building utilities.
- Select a node to highlight its connections.
- Performance improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
A Modular for Modules
This is a great application for creating any module for synthesis out of nodes. Then you can arrange those modules into any configuration that you can think up! Seriously, make a drawing of any interface from your favorite synth and create it! Or take the filter interface from this synth and the arpegiator from that synth and make something new. There are other programs that allow you to do this, but Audulus has a really consistant look and feel without being too arcane. What’s more, the support is TOP NOTCH! If you are confused or need help realizing some idea you have, Mark will work with you to figure out how or if it can be done. If you find a bug, and this actually happened to me, Taylor will send you a patch update. I really have never experienced better support for an app. But that wouldn’t mean anything unless this was a SUPER USEFUL SYNTH-BUILDING MACHINE… and that’s exactly what this is. Recent updates have refreshed the library of modules to smaller more useful units that allow even more flexibility when patching. Still the best!
Developer Response ,
Thanks so much Cryptoclassic! Let us know if you need anything firstname.lastname@example.org and if you're not already on the http://forum.audulus.com, we'd love to see you there!
Finally, a modular synth I can afford! (update)
Without a doubt Audulus continues to be the preeminent soft modular synthesizer available for either the macOS or iOS platform. With a clean, minimalist user interface design, a huge variety of nodes, factory supplied prebulit modules, and outstanding performance it is one of the best. The latest 3.4 update adds significant new functionality including the new ADC and DAC nodes which enable Audulus to be connected to a wide variety of multichannel digital audio interfaces including the Expert Sleepers ES-8 USB interface. This allows Audulus to easily interact with traditional modular rack synthesizers as well as a wide variety of digital audio interfaces. With each new update the product continues to improve, with more undoubtly on the way. Truely the Minecraft of music making! With a vibrant user community and outstanding support, Audulus is a great way to explore all aspects of digital music creation. The latest update brings Audulus up to date with macOS High Sierra and once again demonstrates the ongoing support for the app.
This is some amazing software and I’m impressed by what you can do with it. I used to buy lots of different soft synths and effects on the App Store, but once you get to a certain level with Audulus, you don’t need (or covet :-) ) the others so much because you can make new sounds all the time. Or you can just sit back and have Mark B. and the geniuses on the forums develop new patches you can use. Either is great.
I’m late to the game on modular synthesis, but I’ve been a musician and software developer for quite a while. Audulus really appeals to my programming sensibility as well as my musical side so I’m using Audulus as a case study example of visual programming for some workflow software. Beautiful product, Taylor!
Developer Response ,
Thanks a lot Somnambulist2!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.