AUM is the flexible audio mixer, recorder, and connection hub for your iPad, iPhone and iPod touch.
Connect hardware inputs and outputs, Audio Unit extensions, Inter-App Audio apps, Audiobus, soundfile players, built-in signal processing and filters, in any configuration you want.
Route anything to anywhere with mix-busses, effect sends, audiobus ports, and external multi-channel audio interfaces.
Play hosted synths and instruments using the built-in keyboard or external MIDI controllers, or sequence them with AU MIDI plugins or from other apps using Virtual MIDI.
Record mixes, individual tracks, or both, straight into the storage space of AudioShare (no copying of files needed), with synchronized start and end for perfect loops.
Play back recordings, soundfiles and loops as channel sources in the mixer for backing tracks, further processing or mixing.
Route MIDI in any way you like using the MIDI matrix.
Synchronize everything with the transport clock and play in time with other apps or devices using Ableton Link, a new technology that synchronizes beat, phase and tempo of Ableton Live and Link-enabled iOS apps over a wireless network. Connect external music machines and synchronize them with MIDI Clock.
Includes built-in processing nodes for various stereo processing, Mid/Side balance and conversion, EQs and filters, limiting, clipping and saturation. Or use any 3rd party Audio Unit extension or Inter-App Audio effect.
All controls in the mixer can be controlled via MIDI, including parameters of hosted and built-in plugins.
"A brilliant idea that has been brilliantly executed. Top-notch technical stuff and highly recommended" - MusicAppBlog
"Feature rich, powerful, intuitive, and simple to use" - DubSpot
"Executes live mixing with surprising ease, with a load of extensive features under the hood, quick snappy response on the screen and audio" - AudioNewsRoom
• High quality audio up to 32-bit 96kHz
• Clean and intuitive user interface with crisp vector graphics
• Extremely compact and optimized code, very small app size
• Unlimited number of channels
• Unlimited number of effect slots
• Inserts and sends are configurable pre/post-fader
• Internal busses for mixing, effect sends, signal splitting
• Supports multi-channel audio interfaces for both inputs and outputs
• Supports Audio Unit extensions, Inter-App Audio and Audiobus
• Route MIDI output from Audio Unit extensions
• Audiobus state saving
• Highly accurate transport clock
• Metronome with selectable output and optional pre-roll
• Sends host sync to Audio Unit plugins and IAA apps
• Play in time with Ableton Link, with Start/Stop support
• Slave external hardware via MIDI Clock
• FilePlayer with sync and looping with access to all AudioShare files
• Records straight into AudioShare storage space
• Record synchronized beat-perfect loops
• Built-in nodes for stereo processing, filtering and dynamics
• Latency compensation makes everything align at the outputs
• Multiple Inter-App Audio / Audiobus output ports
• Built-in MIDI keyboard
• Fully MIDI controllable
• MIDI Matrix for routing MIDI anywhere
BUILT-IN SIGNAL PROCESSING
• Stereo balance
• Stereo to mono
• Stereo panning
• Mid/Side balance
• Mid/Side - Stereo convert
• Invert Phase
• Parametric EQ
• Low-shelf filter
• High-shelf filter
• Low-pass resonant filter
• High-pass resonant filter
• First order All-pass filter
• Second order All-pass filter
• Hard clip
• Lookahead peak limiter
A quick bugfix for devices running iOS 9.x, and a fix for MIDI filter persistence. All news for 1.3.0 below:
MAJOR NEW FEATURES
• Finally, updated to Ableton Link 3 with start/stop support!
• Add new "MIDI strip" channel type to hold MIDI-only AU plugins.
• Allow importing channels from another session. (Tap IMPORT add-button, or long-press a session file and choose 'Import channels')
• Allow easy duplication of channel strip.
• Allow loading sessions via MIDI actions. Its configuration is saved globally instead of in the session.
• Add MIDI program change as recognized MIDI control messages.
• Add MIDI ctrl for tap tempo.
• Add MIDI action 'Show Plugin' for AUv3 nodes.
• Add MIDI actions for AUv3 preset-loading.
• Avoid stuck notes when bypassing/disconnecting MIDI sources or changing MIDI destination filter/transpose
• Show AU contextName (if set) in plugin title and as node icon subtitle, long-press AU plugin title bar to edit.
• Re-apply preferred samplerate on audio interface route change.
• Remember preferred sample rate on app launch.
• Save preferred instead of current sample rate in session.
• Bring keyboard to front if currently behind the plugin window when tapping plugin window keyboard button.
• Send error string to Audiobus if preset load failed.
• MIDI matrix: highlight source and dest on touch-down.
• Support upside-down portrait on iPhone.
• Improve display of long names in MIDI control table.
• MIDI learn consistency: always ignore the message that triggered the learn.
• Tweak node param-knob and menu button layout for consistency.
• Only update latency compensation on node-bypass if the node has latency.
• Save project: save when tapping Return on keyboard.
• Various minor UI and layout tweaks.
• Keep connections to MIDI Control from permanent MIDI sources on load/new session.
• Minor optimizations for MIDI Control.
• AUv3 Transpose: ignore extra bytes in note messages (hello Thesys).
• Clear MIDI matrix when loading session so it isn't keeping connections from previous session.
• Don't crash when trying to MIDI-control parameters of a crashed AU plugin.
• NodePicker: avoid keyboard on iPhone.
• NodePicker: fix memory leak if dismissed while in search mode.
• NodePicker: hide 'remove slot' button while searching.
• NodePicker: hide search if collection empty.
• Make sure we don't free MIDI sources/destinations too early. Hopefully avoids rare crash...
• Improve MIDI safety when AU plugin was invalidated (crashed).
• Update MIDI matrix correctly if visible while loading session.
Ratings and Reviews
Great app but not so practical....yet.
This app would be so cool if you set it up as a live performing app. Every live keyboard player knows that you do not have time to turn down the volume knob on one patch and then turn up another patch. Last time I did that was with my arp quadra in 1979. Since the early 80’s we’ve simply pushed a button which gives us the next sound. So if I have to play horns for 2 measures, strings for 2 measures and organ for two measures I simple push ( for example) button 4, 1 and then 3(or however the patches are set up) When you are performing live you have no time to think about pulling levers down and up, you just want to push the next button, preferably larger than the itty bitty solo button on your App. I understand that AUM is set up as a mixer, I get it. And It is a brilliant app. I love what it does.
But AUM could do for the iPad what main stage has done with the computer. Make it usable on the gig.
The Best There Is
You can try others, but this is where you want to be if you are running any type of mobile rig. I found my happiness with this app, my instrument apps, an Novation Audiohub 2x4, a korg nanoKontrol2, and any keystation you’d like. I map different apps to different faders, and any parameter i want to. What makes this app so powerful is the fact that I can map any control value or anything via usb midi. And it just works. So good. Thank you for an amazing app! Keep up the great work! Only thing I wish was different was that I could have landscape and be able to zoom out to get some visible reference to when I control values on my interface. But it works great the way I have it too. 🤘🏼👍🏼
I usually don't write reviews but I had to make an exception with this one! simply put: connect anything to anything, audio or midi, brilliant graphics and ui, it's been a long time since an app made me this happy, I run it on a old iphone 4s with tonebridge and a bunch effects, 3 channels, guitar and bass and aux with recording on a NI Komplete Audio 6 card and runs like a charm with cpu to spare, guitar rig and effects on the budget better than hardware.... on my iPad air (first gen btw) I mix and record a whole live band, guitar, bass, mic, 3 synth apps, effects just with AUM, everything in 24bit 48k, crazy how far technology has come and creative programing can take it! thank you! mind blown!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.