AUM is the flexible audio mixer, recorder, and connection hub for your iPad, iPhone and iPod touch.
Connect hardware inputs and outputs, Audio Unit extensions, Inter-App Audio apps, Audiobus, soundfile players, built-in signal processing and filters, in any configuration you want.
Route anything to anywhere with mix-busses, effect sends, audiobus ports, and external multi-channel audio interfaces.
Play hosted synths and instruments using the built-in keyboard or external MIDI controllers, or sequence them with AU MIDI plugins or from other apps using Virtual MIDI.
Record mixes, individual tracks, or both, straight into the storage space of AudioShare (no copying of files needed), with synchronized start and end for perfect loops.
Play back recordings, soundfiles and loops as channel sources in the mixer for backing tracks, further processing or mixing.
Route MIDI in any way you like using the MIDI matrix.
Synchronize everything with the transport clock and play in time with other apps or devices using Ableton Link, a new technology that synchronizes beat, phase and tempo of Ableton Live and Link-enabled iOS apps over a wireless network. Connect external music machines and synchronize them with MIDI Clock.
Includes built-in processing nodes for various stereo processing, Mid/Side balance and conversion, EQs and filters, limiting, clipping and saturation. Or use any 3rd party Audio Unit extension or Inter-App Audio effect.
All controls in the mixer can be controlled via MIDI, including parameters of hosted and built-in plugins.
"A brilliant idea that has been brilliantly executed. Top-notch technical stuff and highly recommended" - MusicAppBlog
"Feature rich, powerful, intuitive, and simple to use" - DubSpot
"Executes live mixing with surprising ease, with a load of extensive features under the hood, quick snappy response on the screen and audio" - AudioNewsRoom
• High quality audio up to 32-bit 96kHz
• Clean and intuitive user interface with crisp vector graphics
• Extremely compact and optimized code, very small app size
• Unlimited number of channels
• Unlimited number of effect slots
• Inserts and sends are configurable pre/post-fader
• Internal busses for mixing, effect sends, signal splitting
• Supports multi-channel audio interfaces for both inputs and outputs
• Supports Audio Unit extensions, Inter-App Audio and Audiobus
• Route MIDI output from Audio Unit extensions
• Audiobus state saving
• Highly accurate transport clock
• Metronome with selectable output and optional pre-roll
• Sends host sync to Audio Unit plugins and IAA apps
• Play in time with Ableton Link
• Synchronize external hardware via MIDI Clock
• FilePlayer with sync and looping with access to all AudioShare files
• Records straight into AudioShare storage space
• Record synchronized beat-perfect loops
• Built-in nodes for stereo processing, filtering and dynamics
• Latency compensation makes everything align at the outputs
• Multiple Inter-App Audio / Audiobus output ports
• Built-in MIDI keyboard
• Fully MIDI controllable
• MIDI Matrix for routing MIDI anywhere
BUILT-IN SIGNAL PROCESSING
• Stereo balance
• Stereo to mono
• Stereo panning
• Mid/Side balance
• Mid/Side - Stereo convert
• Invert Phase
• Parametric EQ
• Low-shelf filter
• High-shelf filter
• Low-pass resonant filter
• High-pass resonant filter
• First order All-pass filter
• Second order All-pass filter
• Hard clip
• Lookahead peak limiter
Big update with lots of improvements, fixes, and new stuff!
- Speed up app launch
- New Save UI with folder picker navigation
- Add search bar to node picker (drag down to reveal it) where you can search for plugins and IAA apps, etc
- Append current date and time to 'Untitled' session name
- Use title of source node for unnamed channels.
- FilePlayer preview: auto-play when tapping preview button
- Tapping 'home' button in chan bookmark menu when already at the start now scrolls to the end
- Bus sends: show amount in dB as well as percent
- Show parameter min/max in MIDI control list for built-in filters etc
- Add time and date in engine status view (tap DSP/battery indicator)
- Various UI layout and transition improvements
- If main audio engine is not running, color play button red and show warning message when tapped
- Allow access to transport controls while Clock Options menu is open
- Use numbers and punctation keyboard for value edit popups
- Various graphics optimizations and pixel-level tweaks
- Sort folders first in file lists
- Various users guide updates
- Add 8 more mix busses
- Add metronome pre-roll-only toggle in Clock Options menu.
- Automatically reset transport when changing pre-roll if not running
- Deactivate audio session when going background and stopping audio. fixes unresponsive audio engine in some cases after switching between apps
- Don't stop engine if disconnected from host unless running in background
- New optimized MIDI engine, with sample accurate timing for AUv3 and IAA midi
- Many improvements for the MIDI matrix: full screen, color coding, icons, activity indicators
- Add MIDI route button in the main top bar for quick access to MIDI matrix
- MIDI source lists: add activity indicators and icons
- Allow swiping to clear an assigned MIDI parameter, swipe on a subpage for 'CLEAR ALL'
- Handle MMC deferred play message (same as play)
- If AUv3 plugin has only one MIDI out, don't name it
- Various fixes for MIDI SysEx
Audio Unit Extensions:
- Allow plugins to expose a single main parameter to display next to the node. (default to first parameter returned from parametersForOverviewWithCount)
- Use the parameter tree hierarchy when listing parameters
- Add 'last time used' sort mode for AU plugin node picker
- Add show-own-controls toggle (for plugins built-in keyboard etc)
- Show param min/max in MIDI control list
- Allow plugins to update their shortName dynamically
- Clip plugin MIDI output timestamps in case they are out of bounds
- Call selectViewConfiguration after resize
- Avoid crash when removing channel with a node that receives MIDI from an AU and has a bus output/send.
- Fix occasional crash when MIDI learning parameter
- Use actual filename as title when loading session from file. Avoids confusion after renaming files
- IAA nodes: fix rare crash after ejecting node
- Various layout fixes for recent iOS device models
- Fix crash when Link tempo drops fast in some configurations
- Fix crash when enabling MIDI clock send while already running
- Bus Sends: fix double-tap for default value
Ratings and Reviews
Great app but not so practical....yet.
This app would be so cool if you set it up as a live performing app. Every live keyboard player knows that you do not have time to turn down the volume knob on one patch and then turn up another patch. Last time I did that was with my arp quadra in 1979. Since the early 80’s we’ve simply pushed a button which gives us the next sound. So if I have to play horns for 2 measures, strings for 2 measures and organ for two measures I simple push ( for example) button 4, 1 and then 3(or however the patches are set up) When you are performing live you have no time to think about pulling levers down and up, you just want to push the next button, preferably larger than the itty bitty solo button on your App. I understand that AUM is set up as a mixer, I get it. And It is a brilliant app. I love what it does.
But AUM could do for the iPad what main stage has done with the computer. Make it usable on the gig.
The Best There Is
You can try others, but this is where you want to be if you are running any type of mobile rig. I found my happiness with this app, my instrument apps, an Novation Audiohub 2x4, a korg nanoKontrol2, and any keystation you’d like. I map different apps to different faders, and any parameter i want to. What makes this app so powerful is the fact that I can map any control value or anything via usb midi. And it just works. So good. Thank you for an amazing app! Keep up the great work! Only thing I wish was different was that I could have landscape and be able to zoom out to get some visible reference to when I control values on my interface. But it works great the way I have it too. 🤘🏼👍🏼
I usually don't write reviews but I had to make an exception with this one! simply put: connect anything to anything, audio or midi, brilliant graphics and ui, it's been a long time since an app made me this happy, I run it on a old iphone 4s with tonebridge and a bunch effects, 3 channels, guitar and bass and aux with recording on a NI Komplete Audio 6 card and runs like a charm with cpu to spare, guitar rig and effects on the budget better than hardware.... on my iPad air (first gen btw) I mix and record a whole live band, guitar, bass, mic, 3 synth apps, effects just with AUM, everything in 24bit 48k, crazy how far technology has come and creative programing can take it! thank you! mind blown!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.