AutoCrypt, is an encryption/decryption app with a unique approach.
Using a document based application, AutoCrypt lets the user save in a document all the settings used to encrypt files using AES-256 encryption algorithm
Using these documents, AutoCrypt can be used for encryption and decryption batch process of large quantity of files.
With AutoCrypt, a single click is enough to encrypt hundred of files to a destination place.
Using the powerful AES-256 algorithm provided by Apple CommonCrypt, all the encrypted files will be totally unreadable by anyone, except who knows the correct password.
The obtained encrypted files can be transmitted or stored in unsafe places (as example internet servers) without any security problem (any internet server is an unsafe place by definition)
All the setting used to encrypt the original files, are saved inside an AutoCrypt document.
In few words an AutoCrypt document is a collection of setting used to encrypt or decrypt a collection of files.
In case the files to encrypt or to decrypt are updated with frequencies, an AutoCrypt document, listing this files, provides a one click method to frequently encrypt them storing the updated files in a standard place, even using unattended operation.
The user can also launch AutoCrypt in the night using a document with the 'Autorun' option turned on.
AutoCrypt works basing its actions on simplicity and is the ideal solution to be used as a batch mode encryptor and decryptor, but can also be used as a standard encryption tool.
AutoCrypt uses the latest technology with asynchronous tasks to perform fast and fluid encryption and decryption
All the details of the job AutoCrypt has to perform is stored inside AutoCrypt documents (.autocrypt)
When AutoCrypt performs its job, it processes a list of files, one by one, reads each one, encrypts it and saves it in another location appending a .acrypt or .acrypx or .acrypz to the name
AutoCrypt can also automatize the reversed process, decrypting files to plain files and saving them in another place removing the .acrypt , .acripx, .acrypz at the end of the name
AutoCrypt uses the latest Apple technology:
- Sandbox: The app works at the maximum security level
- Resume: the app will reopen at the point and state the user left it
- Auto save: the app saves using the macOS autosave functionality
- Versions: the user can look at previous versions of documents and restore to any earlier version
- Full Screen: the user can switch at any time to full screen using the native macOS full screen mode and commands
- Asynchronous tasks
- Can work as a desktop tool or as a batch utility
- Save inside documents all the setting used to encrypt and decrypt group of files
- Encrypt and save in a custom place with one click or even unattended
- Can encrypt and decrypt using the same document
- Accept input via drag and drops for an immediate and easy input
- Its fast and effective using multithreading technology
- Uses latest technology with asynchronous tasks to perform fast and fluid encryption and decryption
- Can use also Blowfish decryption for previous old archive compatibility
- Provides an embedded PDF manual
- Optimized for macOS 10.14 Mojave
- Optimized to work well in appearance Light and Dark mode under macOS 10.14 Mojave
• Bug fixes
• Optimized for macOS 10.14 Mojave
• Optimized to be used also in Dark Mode
Ratings and Reviews
Works but ain’t the greatest
The app is not particularly intuitive. Unfortunately the user manual is barely readable due to poor English. Even the app UI itself has some grammar issues. It took quite a while to figure out what this app was doing/how it was working. One major problem (poor design) is that it stores the password in an accompanying text document in CLEAR TEXT which seems to defeat the whole purpose of the app. Overall, as I say it works, but barely acceptable in my view. Still looking for an alternative!
Developer Response ,
You can decide or not to store the password used to encrypt.
There is a checkbox for that in the document settings 'Save the password inside this document'. It's useful when the document is used to process a series of files always using the same password to send via unsecured channel (internet). If not necessary it can be disabled and you have the usual encryptor that doesn't remember the used password. Thank you very much.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.