By Baker & Taylor
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
axisReader, from Baker & Taylor - the premier worldwide distributor of digital and print books and entertainment products, gives users the ability to read ebooks lent through their public library with ease.
Designed to complement the Axis 360 Digital Media Library, axisReader lets you read EPUB and PDF ebooks in seconds.
Customize your experience - highlight, bookmark, annotate or look up a definition. Organize your ebooks. Select your preferred background colors and fonts.
Baker & Taylor loves libraries and readers, and we offer this app so book lovers who borrow ebooks from their library can easily read them on their iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch device.
What's New in Version 2.1
Enhancements and bug fixes
Improved support for iOS 8
Not so good
I use the application because my library switched to it from Overdrive. I am incredibly disappointed.
1. You log in once and do not have to keep re-entering your library card number, unlike Blio.
2. You can easily see the number of available copies and how many are on reserve before you.
1. You have to use a second application (and set up an Adobe Reader account) to actually read the books. Within that application, you cannot change the font size. I am 30, not 60, I want a smaller font for my small phone.
2. There are too many steps to get to your books, it doesn't remember where I was last in the application.
3. Audiobooks are not consistent. They sometimes start back where you stopped, most of the time it does not. I have to bookmark everything and then remember to delete my old bookmarks so I don't lose my place. All taking additional steps.
4. Sound quality on audiobooks is pretty bad. They sound tinny and distant.
5. They do not have an audiobook category. To find audiobooks, I have to search for audio, which does not sort by anything. It would be better to have an audio section within the fiction section, etc.
All in all, I use it because I have no other choice. I don't have the time to make it to my library and I love audiobooks for my commute and don't want to carry 10 cd's with me. I have been slowly moving to podcasts since the app is so terrible.
The creators have much room for improvement.
Good for what I use it for
I use this app because one of my library's ebook providers uses it. For the five odd books at a time I check out, it works well. I can find books and check them out easily with the app and I can return them easily, one of my issues with other similar apps. The only problems I've had were with a few graphic novels and am unsure if it was the app or the books themselves. While I never see this being my main ebook reader, what it does do, it does well.
**Revised** 0 stars
FIND A DIFFERENT READER.
I've been trying to figure out how to get my ePubs to show on all my devices. Unfortunately there is no help available and everything I google comes up with library info. Axis FAQ is not helpful at all.
This is my main ebook reader... However I have so many books now and there's no easy way to sort them. I wish I could mark books as "read" or leave myself a comment or rating so I can easily browse through them. Argggg
- Category: Books
- Updated: Nov 17, 2014
- Version: 2.1
- Size: 41.9 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: BAKER n TAYLOR CORPORATION
- © Baker & Taylor, Inc; Application copyright Bluefire Productions, LLC 2010-2013
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.