Fun, unique, and powerful - an incredible baby names app!
• View origins & meanings
• Hear pronunciations
• See recommendations based on your favorites
• View countries where each name is most common
• 100-year popularity graphs
• Name rankings by year
• Names for brothers/sisters
• Name variations
• Tags (e.g., Unisex, On Fire)
• See similar names (e.g., you might like Sophia if you like Isabella)
• Interactive popularity heat map
• Political party leanings
• Profession leanings
• Stripper name or not?
• Save and sort your favorites
• Share on Facebook and Twitter
Nametrix is chock full of real-world, data-driven analysis unrivaled by any other app, website, book, or anything else.
A sampling of what you'll find:
• Emma's most commonly found in Sweden, the UK, and Australia
• In the US, popularity peaked in 2003, but it's peaking again now
• It's currently the most popular name for girls in the US
• It's a vintage name, first popular in the early 1900s
• Other names you might like: Hannah, Abigail, Olivia, Lily
• Potential names for brothers: Samuel, Aiden, Noah, Marcus
• Variants include Ema, Emmah, Emme
• It's currently most popular in the southeastern part of the US
• Emmas have historically gravitated to creative professions such as Singer-songwriter
• Emmas have historically tended to be Democrats in the US
• Emma is not at all a "stripper name"
Top names for plumbers:
Top names for playwrights:
As for other professions, can you guess what Lexus, Stormie, Chastity, and Bambi have in common?
Featured on Good Morning America, Freakonomics.com, New York Times, Babble, Mashable, Disney Baby, Babyology, Parents.com, CafeMom, USA Today, The Daily Dot, and many more.
Minor name data update
Ratings and Reviews
So much info about my name I didn't know!
I've literally spent hours playing around with this app, looking up my own name, my kids' names, my friends' names, anyone I can think of. My name is popular among writers and directors which makes me feel very cool. The neatest feature is an interactive map where you can see where a name was most popular and when. Really useful if you don't want your daughter to share a name with eight other girls in her kindergarten class wherever you live!
I downloaded a lot of name apps before my first kid was born, but I definitely wish I'd had this one instead.
Pronunciations need work but good overall
I got this for giggles and am happy with it overall because it provides a lot of info and is only $2. Big caveat however: the “pronunciation guide” is a robot that appears to be sounding out the names from an American English template because a lot of the Irish names I’ve listened too are just hilariously wrong. If you don’t already know what a name sounds like in its original language maybe don’t trust this app. Otherwise, pretty cool. Tons of names, charts and other tidbits to keep it interesting whether you’re looking for a name for your baby or just curious about names in general.
The best naming app I've used!
I'm a cartoonist, and this app is amazing for naming my characters! You can sort by Themes, professions, and trending names, among other categories (so handy!), and it gives you data on the countries the name is most commonly used in. There's a vast amount of names, too, including some lesser-known ones! It went above and beyond expectations!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.