By Sevenlogics, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
American Baby and Sevenlogics Inc. proudly bring you Baby Names! Find the perfect baby name with this FREE app. Packed with more than 30,000 names, Baby Names makes it fun and simple to:
● See a name’s meaning, pronunciation, gender, and origin
● Check how popular any name (including your own) was for any year back to 1880
● Search by name, gender, origin or any of those criteria (and even by initial)
● Share names by e-mail and Facebook
● See a map view of any name’s origin
● Add, rate, and share your own names with the My Names feature
● Periodic name suggestions
● Ask Genie for names that go perfectly with mom’s and dad’s names!
● Save and rate your favorite names and sort them by gender, date, spelling and your ratings
● Sync your favorite names across all your iOS devices!
What's New in Version 2.2.1
I can't really give an honest or complete review of this product because certain features that are important to me are locked until I give a review. Take these reviews with a grain of salt & I'll update my review after I've actually had a chance to use it.
UPDATE: I've had some time to use this app & I bumped the rating from 3 to 4 stars. I like the ease of use and particularly the ability to add/remove names from a variety of specific origins. Other programs allowed me to browse names from one origin or all origins, but not narrow results down to all origins I'm interested in at once. I also like having the ability to add names that aren't in their database.
What I don't like: I've found a number of obviously misspelled names, like "Hsmilton" and "Ga!l". It makes me wonder how many of the more unusual names are also misspelled that just aren't as obvious. Also, after I use the program for a half-hour or so it starts throwing up a blank screen. It becomes more and more frequent until this blank screen is popping up every 10-20 seconds, making the program useless. I have to power my phone off to get it to stop. Hopefully this will be addressed quickly.
Lots of information
This app is like a Google search for a name. It gives a lot of information. The part I found valuable was the various spellings. The downside is it doesn't tell you which version is original and which version the spelling was changed as it was translated to a different language. For instance, if you were looking an original bible name first written in Hebrew, you may pick a version spelled as it was in Greek not Hebrew as it was translate from Hebrew to Latin to Greek to English. Be careful. I have known a few people who say & think they have a name of a certain history and it turns out it is misspelled if that's history they were going for.
Better then most
Like others I haven't fully used this app and I'm giving this rating to access the rest of the features. That being said, this baby name app is better then others I've tried. It has several features that I really like. I like that it tells me the meanings of the names. I also like that I can save a list of my favorites and rate them and whatnot. The only thing I wish it had was more of a name idea generator. But honestly I haven't found a baby name app that does that. I am secretly hoping that the 'Genie' function that we get for rating this app will possibly be something like this.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Health & Fitness
- Updated: Mar 08, 2014
- Version: 2.2.1
- Size: 21.3 MB
- Languages: English, Bokmål, Norwegian, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Seller: Sevenlogics, Inc.
- © Sevenlogics, Inc
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- Baby Names Premium$1.99