Play the #1 Backgammon on the App Store! Now with the best online Backgammon experience with background match-making and two ways to play online: Turn-based gameplay or live games via Game Center. Challenge your friends, play against random opponents, compete for leaderboard glory, and earn achievements.
- - - - - -
** Recommended by MacWorld as a Top Download for your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad in their November 2010 issue.
** “Backgammon Premium is the crème-de-la-crème ‘gammon’” 9 out of 10 stars Appaddicts.com!
** Nominated for “best dice game of 2009 in the 2009 Best App Ever Awards hosted by bestappever.com!
- - - - - -
Backgammon is believed to have started in Persia, eventually finding its way to Britain with the Roman conquest in the 1st century and was played by Emperor Claudius who even had his carriage equipped with a playing board! It became such a gambling mania that it was declared illegal under the Republic.
Playing on the history of the game, there are 6 visually pleasing, rich board designs; Egyptian, Roman, Medieval, Victorian, Modern and Classic.
We also offer, out of the box, two classic game variations: “Old English” and Nackgammon. “Old English” is the most popular game variation in England. Nackgammon is a more challenging variation designed to add more creativity and skill to the game.
With integrated Bluetooth Peer-to-Peer support you can play with your friends over Bluetooth with no network required! You can also play against the computer in either Easy, Medium, or Hard difficulties.
- Play online: Live with Game Center
- Background match-making: search for opponents while you play!
- Universal. Play on your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad
- Single Player Games (with Easy, Medium, or Hard)
- Match support! Play to 3, 5, 9 or 15 points with Doubling. Matches use the Crawford Rule
- On the phone Multiplayer and Bluetooth peer to peer games
- Move-Assist, highlights available moves
- Unlimited “Undo” in single-player games
- Extensive game statistics
-Brand new help section!
-Bug fixes based on your feedback!
Ratings and Reviews
I only play the most difficult level. As many others have said, lots of unrealistic dice rolls, like getting double 6’s four times in a row, or even any doubles 3-4 times in a row. I have seen in happen many times. The dice rolls are definitely not random. My opponent had the 6 and 1 point covered when I had a token captured. My four rolls in order, were 6-6, 1-6, 1-6, 1-6. Highly unlikely!
The computer makes some highly illogical, and ridiculous moves, certainly not at the level of a skilled player.
To start the game, the computer when’s the starting roll more than 80% of the time. I did start keeping statistics.
There are many flaws that I wish would be fixed in an update, however I still enjoy playing the game. In fact, I just finished my 500th match, so I feel comfortable with my critic and accurate with my assessment. One might think this is sour grapes, but not the case at all. I play 5 point matches and have one 90% of those. I’m good but not that good, which is another testament to the poor logic built in to the game.
I have played for 30 years in clubs, online with Middle East players (games origin) and in tournaments. I have played every online app I can find and this is the best...but I have never lost a MATCH (10 to 15 games) while using the doubling cube to an online app. No app I have played can apply strategy in order to win a 10-15 game match. Worse than that, the app uses the doubling cube poorly.
I am not sure a backgammon app designed around algorithms can ever match the human mind when variables like risk, timing and an opponents strategy are considered.
I wish all the people complaining about the dice would take the time to learn the odds of rolling two dice (36 possible outcomes). Also, play a match, not a game and learn to use the doubling cube. It is said the dice are 75% of the game and the player is 25%. The player should learn the game well enough so their 25% is better than an apps or another player!
My original review was TWO years ago. Nothing has changed since I wrote it. In addition, I would like to have a REMATCH button instead of having to go through requesting through an email request! I like to rematch people I am randomly partnered with, but can't if I don't know their email address.
I've used this app for years now. It's one of the better ones out there. However, I would like to see the following improvements.
1. Make the dice rolls truly random! It seems like doubles pop up all the time when a pip is on the bar, and always with a number that the opponent has blocked. Also, when both players have all their pips on the home row and are bearing off, the player with the most pips on points 5 and 6 only rolls ones and twos.
2. When I have multiple games going, I would like a button to click for "next game" that takes me to the next game where it's my turn to play. (See Words With Friends.) Currently I have to make 3 clicks toget to the next game: Menu, then Games, and then the game I want next.
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.