This utility app allows owners of any Bad Elf GPS accessory to check the health of the Bad Elf hardware, view the GPS data being received, transfer and view trip logs, and install firmware updates.
Visit www.bad-elf.com to learn more about the Bad Elf GPS, GPS Pro/Pro+, and the GNSS Surveyor accessories, which add a high performance GPS receiver to the iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad via the 30-pin dock connector, Lighting connector, or Bluetooth. The GPS data is usable by ALL location-based iOS applications in the App Store.
Note: Continued use of the GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
This is a maintenance release with minor updates related to trip names, raw logging, and exporting KML.
- Added app setting for altitude mode to use when exporting trips in KML format.
- Added pause functionality to GNSS Surveyor raw logging.
- Added NMEA markers to GNSS Surveyor raw logs when BT connection is lost/found or raw logging is paused/resumed.
- Fixed issue with POI names and timestamps when exported via KML.
- Trip names no longer limited to 50 characters.
- Fixed UI issue clipping the satellite count.
- Fixed issue with parsing some logs files from GPS Pro+ and GNSS Surveyor accessories.
Ratings and Reviews
Good ideas, so-so execution
This app does a decent job of complementing the Bad Elf receiver, but it fails in a few key areas.
1) Easy to download tracks
2) Easy to clear up space by deleting downloaded tracks (when downloaded or at a later time)
3) Good view of the device's features, e.g. satellites in view
1) The big one: the app often displays stale data that doesn't reflect the up-to-date state of the receiver. This would be just an annoyance, except that it also means that sometimes the controls don't work, i.e. turning on the track log looks like it works but actually leaves the recorder off. Apparently this is because the app doesn't really have an active connection to the receiver, but it acts like it does and pretends to turn on track logging. I've lost at least half a dozen recordings that were never started due to this bug.
The receiver panel needs to be fixed to only show real data, not cached or stale data.
2) Some of the app workflow doesn't make much sense. For example, why is the Satellites page at the main level instead of at the device level page? It apparently shows the satellite status for a single device.
I find the app to be very difficult to download field data to the computer.
Also still using archaic Mini-B usb. Come on Bad Elf you can do better.
- Bad Elf, LLC
- 88 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2010-17 Bad Elf, LLC.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.