Developed by Fisheries and Oceans Canada, The Baitfish Primer mobile app is a guide that allows users identify and protect Ontario’s baitfishes wherever they go! This app provides all the same information present in the 2018 Baitfish Primer with additional tools!
The Baitfish Primer mobile app has a unique identification tool that can help anyone identify the baitfishes of Ontario. This tool is intended to be used by both novices and experts alike! Many small fishes look alike; however, upon closer inspection, most baitfish species can be distinguished from one another with relative ease. With this app you will soon be able to distinguish a Creek Chub from a Longnose Dace! The ability to distinguish among small fish is important, as some fish are so rare that their use may lead to extinction. Also, some small fish are invasive and can damage our aquatic ecosystems!
With this app, you will:
- Understand the federal and Ontario legislation and regulations pertinent to the use of baitfishes;
- Be able to identify small fish species;
- Be able to distinguish between legal and illegal baitfishes;
- Recognize the importance of baitfish habitat;
- Understand the potential impacts of improper baitfish use; and,
- Understand how to minimize negative impacts to our aquatic ecosystems from aquatic invasive species and how to protest species at risk.
On behalf of Fisheries and Oceans Canada, thank you for your interest in this app and for doing your part to protect Ontario’s aquatic ecosystems!
- Evelyn Liu
- 140.4 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.