Bang On - a nice search app
By Derek Kepner
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Ever wanted to say "search for Bob Dylan on Pandora" and have it work? Yeah. Bang On does that.
- Search with your voice. Tap the dictation button on the keyboard* and say something like "search for apple" or "search YouTube for norah jones" or "search for Angry Birds on the App Store".
- Search hundreds of sites and apps with !bang shortcuts. For example, "!imdb richard pryor" will take you directly to a search at IMDb.com for Richard Pryor. "!instagram sunset" will open Instagram and start a search for sunset.
- Customize the favorites bar with your favorite !bang shortcuts to jump between your favorite search sites and apps quickly without retyping your search terms.
- Settings synced between devices via iCloud.
* iPhone 5, iPhone 4S or 3rd-generation iPad required for voice dictation.
"Bang On is a superb app for search, and it has found a spot on my home screen." - Christine Chan, AppAdvice
"If you like searching on iOS, then this is almost required." - Ben Brooks, The Brooks Review
"What Launch Center is to your iPhone apps, Bang On is to search." - Shawn Blanc, shawnblanc.net
"With Bang On, you can search more in less time with fewer keystrokes. It’s quite brilliant!" - Tracy Pease, iOS Affairs
What's New in Version 1.0.5
- Bang On now allows you to choose between two popular default search engines. (If you liked the less-popular search engine Bang On used before, I'm sorry. I liked it too.)
- Bug fixes.
- Server changes to allow me to add and edit !bang shortcuts faster.
- More improvements coming.
No duckduckgo search
I searched for an app that had duckduckgo voice search. The app store offered this, only it wasn't free. I purchased it trusting the info given, and was badly surprised that the app had neither voice search capability or duckduckgo.
It only has two main search engines. Yahoo, and Google, and no voice search. I wish the app store were more honest about what the app does. I would like a refund.
Just the right search app
Tons of different services (not JUST Google or Wikipedia), lots of useful little tricks, super super fast. I wish I could open pages in browsers other than Safari, but overall this is a first-screen app for me.
A particularly cool companion app for Launch Centre.
One request; it's great that I can do google image searches, but then I need to be able to save them. Opening in Safari first defeats the object.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Jun 11, 2013
- Version: 1.0.5
- Size: 2.4 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Derek Kepner
- © 2013 Derek Kepner
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.