By Ron Wilhelm
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
BarCalc is a barbell calculator app for counting the weight loaded on your bar. Enter a total weight or add up plates individually on the barbell -- no more math in the gym! Let BarCalc help you calculate weight, percentage, and convert between kilograms (KG) and pounds (LB).
BarCalc is useful for all types of lifting and competitions: Olympic weightlifting, powerlifting, and strength training. It’s a great companion app for strength training and lifting programs like Wendler 5/3/1, Starting Strength, CrossFit and more.
With BarCalc barbell calculator, you can:
• Input any weight and instantly see the plates on the bar
• Set your custom plate inventory
• Follow IWF (Olympic weightlifting) & IPF (powerlifting) competition weight standards
• Quickly find the percentage of any weight
• Convert weights between metric (kilograms) and imperial (pounds)
• Build a bar load plate-by-plate
• Specify both men's and women's barbell weights
What's New in Version 2.0
Now with support for 4-inch screens
Updated UI for IOS 7
Set custom bar weight
Great for the morning gym crowd and stupid people.
I like to roll out of bed and hit the gym at 4:30am. The running joke is "Workout early before your brain knows what you're doing."
One caveat to this philosophy is that in the morning my brain is also incapable of doing simple arithmetic but to be fair I'm also VERY stupid).
This app helps. I use it sneakily so smart people won't laugh at me for not being able to add multiplies of 5 - but the embarrassment of not being able to figure out how to load an odd amount of weight to a 45lb barbell pales in comparison to misloading the bar and having it fly through the air: breaking mirrors and injuring people doing Zumba. 5 Stars!
Must have companion
Been using this app for years. I'm so happy to finally see an update for bigger screens. I've always found this to be a pretty essential companion app when calculating weights at the gym. I'm terrible at quick math in my head and I usually have a prescribed routine on my phone so I constantly switch between my notes and this app to help guide my training. Such a useful, helpful app.
Can be easily improved...
It's fully functional, but for my personal needs, I would like to see:
1) More bar weight options. I use a 45 lb bar, but connected to my safety cabling system with 15 lbs of counterweights, it weighs 30 lbs net...no option for that. Bummer.
2) would love a "progressive weight addition mode". In other words, let's say you were pushing 205 and wanted to do your next set at 225 and then be done with that exercise. So you have 45 bar, 45 plate and 35 plate on each side. To go to 225, this program will have you REPLACE the 35s with new 45s, whereas anyone in this situation would probably just add 10 lbs to each side. A progressive mode would tell you to add 10 lbs to each side. (Might be beyond the developer's abilities?)
3) PLEASE put this out in an iPad (landscape-capable) version soon!
- Category: Health & Fitness
- Updated: Jan 21, 2014
- Version: 2.0
- Size: 5.0 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bokmål, Norwegian, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Seller: Ronald Wilhelm
- © 2014 Ron Wilhelm
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.