Barista is a coffee application that teaches you popular espresso drinks and brewing methods. Each brewing method guide includes step by step instructions. There are a couple things that are important when brewing coffee:
1. Ratio - keep track of your coffee to water ratio. Barista includes a ratio calculation so you can scale out your measurements.
2. Timing - keep track of when to pour more water during your brew. It's important to give your coffee grinds time to bloom. Barista includes a timer to help manage this.
3. Customization - included are reasonable defaults for popular brewing methods. Barista allows you to customize the overall brew time and change the water doses for each step.
4. Learn - if you are curious and want to try other brewing methods, you can learn how to use them!
• Fixes a bug introduced in 4.4 where copying some timers would cause the app to crash.
• Fixes a bug introduced in 4.4 where copied timers are not displayed in order when viewing all of your timers.
Ratings and Reviews
Love the app, still can’t run timers in background
I love this app and use it every day to brew coffee. It has helped me become more confident in new brewing methods. The look of the app is very cool and stylish. It’s very easy to use.
My only complaint is that after months of using it, it’s still not possible to let timers run in the background. If you accidentally tap a notification, swipe up on iPhone X, or even just invoke Siri, your timer stops and quits with no way to resume. I understand this is a tricky problem, but the dev has had a long time to solve it and has chosen to focus on much less impactful changes.
Developer Response ,
Hi! Thank you for the kind words! Version 3.6 now pauses active timers if the notification center or home button is pressed. Give it a try! Hope it makes your brewing sessions more enjoyable. Cheers!
Comprehensive, customizable, thoughtfully designed.
Solid app with a tremendous amount of functionality. You can select a brew method (good coverage here: Kalita, Chemex, Bee House, Aeropress, etc.) and work from the default recipes (including a few championship-winning recipes) or tweak just about any brew parameter (comes with a ratio calculator!!) and save as your custom recipe (for example, to keep track of bean/roast specific brews.) The guides are helpful for both newbies and experienced users, and introduced me to methods I didn't know about.
I like this app. It has a good description of the brewing process and why for almost every method. I like that the ratio settings can be changed based on the quantity of coffee or water. Do note, however, that these adjustments don’t update the steeping timers weight amounts per phase - this has to be done manually. There is also no way to keep track/rate different beans/roasts. Another small gripe I have is that the Breville bur grinder is not selectable to use for suggested settings.
Having multiple settings per brewing method also becomes cumbersome to manage.
Developer Response ,
Hello! Thanks for the feedback! Hope you can check out the latest version! Weight amounts can now automatically update the recipe's total. The Breville bur grinder is also an option! Also you can track beans/roasts in the notes section of each history event! Happy brewing!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.