Base is an application for creating, designing, editing and browsing SQLite 3 database files. It's a proper Mac OS X application. Fast to launch, quick to get in to and get the data you need.
Base starts with all the basic features you need:
• Schema viewing
• Table contents viewing/editing
• Custom SQL queries
• Command logging
Then makes it all even better:
• Support for viewing and editing ALL column- and table-level constraints. From simple default values, to complex foreign keys, Base can handle it.
• Advanced table designing and altering. No need to manually type CREATE TABLE statements, from a single sheet you can add, edit and remove columns & constraints to your heart's content, maintaining or moving the original data within them.
• Quick data find & filter. Build lengthy SELECT statements with a few clicks, previewing results as you go.
• Easy SQL editing, with clear syntax highlighting and useful SQL autocompletion
• Store your commonly used SQL as snippets for easy re-use later
• Easy import, comprehensive export. Bring in data from CSV or SQL files. Export to SQL, delimited text, XML or Microsoft Excel-compatible formats.
• Update SQLite to 3.17.0
• Fix a crash on launch bug
Ratings and Reviews
Base 2.0 is a fantastic SQLite GUI
It is a major improvement over the 1.x version in speed. It nicely handles 1M+ record SQLite files now. It now has more sophisticated features such as column renames and schema changes (these are not natively supported in SQLite, so they have to be explicitly programmed by the developer; it's a real timesaver over manually recreating a db). I find that I turn to it for all the SQLite files I handle now. It's a nice, simple, clean, fast SQLite GUI. And the price is awesome!
I'll throw in one suggestion; allow NULL fields not only to be marked with user selectable text, but also a user selectable background color; I find that makes it much easier to browse through to see where the nulls are instead of WHERE 'foo' IS NULL queries...
Latest Version feels Quirky
There's some problems that I've been running into in the latest version that are frustrating to get around. For example, if there's an error in the SQL, the app warns you, but you can't dismiss the dialog, which means you have to quit the entire app. There's abundnant quirkiness when creating tables (field names not being saved, not remembering column attributes); so much so that I finally gave up and did it via commandline.
So it's a nice app for viewing your data and simple interaction, but not for playing around with SQL statements or anything advanced. Which is unfortunate, because I really, really, really like the app.
Best sqlite database tool!
This is the best sqlite schema and data editor for OS X! I like the attention to detail. My only issue at the moment is that I need the embedded SQLite updated to 3.8.2 so I can use the new “WITHOUT ROWID” option. 3.8.1 will not open databases with that feature enabled. It would also be nice if there was a way to install a plugin containing a custom build of SQLite so that user built extensions (virtual tables or custom functions) will work properly in Base. That may be the next issue I run in to. Otherwise this is a great product!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.