Basic Training was developed by the Georgia Attorney General’s Office and Georgia Watch to help Georgia-based Service members, veterans and their families be more informed consumers and avoid scams and deceptive practices. The app provides information, calculators and other tools that guide users through key consumer and financial issues, including:
· Buying a car without getting taken for a ride
· Creating a budget and saving for a goal
· Recognizing and avoiding scams, fraud and deceptive practices
· Lowering your risk of identity theft and knowing what to do if your identity is stolen
· Understanding credit reports, credit scores and how to use credit cards wisely
· Understanding your protections under the Military Lending Act
· Understanding the true cost of payday loans and title pawns
· Improving your credit and managing debt through reputable sources
· Knowing what debt collectors can and cannot do under the law
The app is a complement to the full-length Georgia Military Consumer Protection Guide developed by Georgia Watch in collaboration with the Georgia Attorney General’s Office, downloadable at http://consumer.ga.gov/uploads/pdf/military-consumer-protection-guide.pdf or consumer.ga.gov/military.
Additional support added for improved accessibility
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.