By BBC Worldwide
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The BBC News brings you the latest, breaking news from our trusted global network of journalists.
My News is a newly introduced feature allowing you to personalise your news offering.
Add topics wherever you see the + icon for a quick route straight to the stories you care about.
Stories from topics you add will appear in your personalised My News feed. Here you can order stories by topic or time, and use the Manage Topics screen to stay on top of the news of the day.
You can also switch the My News by Topic screen to a more traditional carousel view from the Settings screen.
Find content fast
The app can suggest topics based on stories you’ve recently viewed and what’s in the news now.
And you can quickly find topics that interest you using the Topic Search. Choose from the familiar list of BBC News indexes such as Business, Technology, Entertainment and Health, or search for your own subjects of interest, whether they’re people, places, things or themes.
More of the news you care about
We now offer a fuller selection of stories from the newsroom, including:
- Most Read and Most Watched. Keep on top of popular stories across the BBC, regularly updated throughout the day
- Live BBC World Service Radio. Expertise and insight from our journalists available 24-hours a day and ready to listen to in the background as you browse
- Read the best journalism from BBC correspondents
- Access to our full range of video and audio
- Photo galleries and full-screen images
Apple Watch Support:
Story summaries, glanceable headlines and breaking news alerts delivered straight to your wrist
- Push notifications for breaking news stories
- Video over cellular and wifi
- Improved offline experience. Download the latest stories when you have a signal and then read them at your leisure
- Viewing modes. On iPhone see more stories per index by choosing ‘Compact layout’ from the Settings screen
- Settings to allow the app to automatically update in the background
- Share stories to your social networks, or email/SMS to a friend
- Support for dynamic text. The app will respect the font size in your device settings so you can increase or decrease the story text size as suits your preference
- Related stories, related topics. Go deeper into a storyline with suggestions for further reading and viewing and a range of topics related to each story
If you choose to receive push notifications, a unique identifier relating to your device will be stored by ProcessOne on behalf of the BBC to provide you with the service.
No other personal data relating to you (such as a username or email address) is processed. The BBC will keep your information secure and not share it with anyone else in accordance with the BBC’s Privacy and Cookies Policy, available at http://www.bbc.com/privacy/
You can choose to unsubscribe from push notifications from your device’s Notifications screen: locate the BBC News app icon from the list and turn off ‘Allow Notifications’.
What's New in Version 4.3.0
Improvements and bug fixes for increased stability and performance of the BBC News App.
Great App / Moderate Content
The app's design is great. The design team has taken great care apparently to make the app usable. All my basic goals are met. As well, I sometimes find new functionality which makes the app itself a pleasure to use and to explore.
The content is not impartial. News should really just be the facts... unfortunately sometimes the titles are written in a way to lead the user to believe that there is some definite opinion being pushed out by the author... ditch the opinion... I happen to like the option of forming my own conclusion based on well non-biased presentation of facts.
Works well, though it has its quirks.
In general this a decent app that is fairly stable. However, it has a number of odd quirks: It has a habit of sending you to the top of a given list of stories when navigating Bach to the list from a given story, which is frustrating when you are trying to work through a list but don't want to read everything. It also has the occasional habit of sending you to random list/stories when you tap on a story.
Love the app and use it daily on iphone 6. Navigation and embeded video and audio work well. Related stories section at bottom of stories is nice. Two areas to improve: live audio doesn't respond to headphone pause button, and scrolling past some large ads frequently launches me over to App Store! Still on fixed! Annoying Rolex ads somehow do this without even any accidental taps. Taking away 1 more star.
- Category: News
- Updated: May 16, 2017
- Version: 4.3.0
- Size: 47.3 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, Arabic, Russian, Spanish, Welsh
- Seller: BBC Worldwide LTD
- © 2017 BBC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.