By BBC Worldwide
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The BBC News app has been completely redesigned with a fresh look and feel to bring you more content, greater personalisation and better overall performance. So you can get more of the news that matters to you.
Top Stories brings you the latest, breaking news from our trusted global network of journalists.
My News is a newly introduced feature allowing you to personalise your news offering.
Add topics wherever you see the + icon for a quick route straight to the stories you care about.
Stories from topics you add will appear in your personalised My News feed. Here you can order stories by topic or time, and use the Manage Topics screen to stay on top of the news of the day.
You can also switch the My News by Topic screen to a more traditional carousel view from the Settings screen.
Find content fast
The app can suggest topics based on stories you’ve recently viewed and what’s in the news now.
And you can quickly find topics that interest you using the Topic Search. Choose from the familiar list of BBC News indexes such as Business, Technology, Entertainment and Health, or search for your own subjects of interest, whether they’re people, places, things or themes.
More of the news you care about
We now offer a fuller selection of stories from the newsroom, including:
- Most Read and Most Watched. Keep on top of popular stories across the BBC, regularly updated throughout the day
- Live BBC World Service Radio. Expertise and insight from our journalists available 24-hours a day and ready to listen to in the background as you browse
- Read the best journalism from BBC correspondents
- Access to our full range of video and audio
- Photo galleries and full-screen images
Apple Watch Support:
Story summaries, glanceable headlines and breaking news alerts delivered straight to your wrist
- Push notifications for breaking news stories
- Video over cellular and wifi
- Improved offline experience. Download the latest stories when you have a signal and then read them at your leisure
- Viewing modes. On iPhone see more stories per index by choosing ‘Compact layout’ from the Settings screen
- Settings to allow the app to automatically update in the background
- Share stories to your social networks, or email/SMS to a friend
- Support for dynamic text. The app will respect the font size in your device settings so you can increase or decrease the story text size as suits your preference
- Related stories, related topics. Go deeper into a storyline with suggestions for further reading and viewing and a range of topics related to each story
If you choose to receive push notifications, a unique identifier relating to your device will be stored by ProcessOne on behalf of the BBC to provide you with the service.
No other personal data relating to you (such as a username or email address) is processed. The BBC will keep your information secure and not share it with anyone else in accordance with the BBC’s Privacy and Cookies Policy, available at http://www.bbc.com/privacy/
You can choose to unsubscribe from push notifications from your device’s Notifications screen: locate the BBC News app icon from the list and turn off ‘Allow Notifications’.
What's New in Version 3.1.1
3.1.1 - Media playback improvements
This used to be hands down the best app on my phone-- reliable, in depth, easy to use and navigate. Unfortunately, this last update has robbed your app of even the most basic functionality. Even with the personalized settings set to carousel to mimic the old format, reading a variety of articles continues to be a perpetual problem- updates take so long that even when I get the "new" news, it's days old. Loading is inconsistent and slow and the tiles take forever to cycle over- the most recent stories in the "World" and "US" sections are from four days ago but Europe has new stories every hour.
It is also incredibly insulting that the US section reads like the socialite front page-- celebrity news belongs in the entertainment section, not comprising 75-80% of the articles in US news. Please report on the actual news.
Truly a disappointing change. I'm not sure what type of beta testing you implemented, but it was clearly lacking. I can only hope these bugs are rectified soon.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
With the old layout you got the news at a glance. It was the way news is supposed to be presented. You could pick the headlines which interested you without scrolling too much. The new update shows between 3 and 5 oversized headlines most of which don't interest you. And if you use the new features such as your news, it's worse because the specific subjects don't update often enough to be noteworthy. I've seen a hundred other news apps like this. There was a reason I preferred this one. After having this one on my iPad and phone and using it twice daily since its conception I have now deleted it. May as well use the GB saved for a news app more worthwhile. Hard to get good apps these days. Sad to see another one bite the dust because they just can't leave it alone.
Installed this app after seeing all the negative reviews just to see how bad it is. after using it for a while, must say it is by far one of the better news apps i have ever used, not sure why everyone hates it so much. Never used the old version so i cannot comment on that but this version is quite outstanding and i hope the developer doesn't cave in to all the hate. If you have not tried it give it a shot and dont skip it due to all the negative reviews, it really is quite good.
- Category: News
- Updated: Jul 11, 2015
- Version: 3.1.1
- Size: 17.3 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: BBC Worldwide LTD
- © 2015 BBC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.