By BBC Worldwide
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The BBC News app has been completely redesigned with a fresh look and feel to bring you more content, greater personalisation and better overall performance. So you can get more of the news that matters to you.
Top Stories brings you the latest, breaking news from our trusted global network of journalists.
My News is a newly introduced feature allowing you to personalise your news offering.
Add topics wherever you see the + icon for a quick route straight to the stories you care about.
Stories from topics you add will appear in your personalised My News feed. Here you can order stories by topic or time, and use the Manage Topics screen to stay on top of the news of the day.
You can also switch the My News by Topic screen to a more traditional carousel view from the Settings screen.
Find content fast
The app can suggest topics based on stories you’ve recently viewed and what’s in the news now.
And you can quickly find topics that interest you using the Topic Search. Choose from the familiar list of BBC News indexes such as Business, Technology, Entertainment and Health, or search for your own subjects of interest, whether they’re people, places, things or themes.
More of the news you care about
We now offer a fuller selection of stories from the newsroom, including:
- Most Read and Most Watched. Keep on top of popular stories across the BBC, regularly updated throughout the day
- Live BBC World Service Radio. Expertise and insight from our journalists available 24-hours a day and ready to listen to in the background as you browse
- Read the best journalism from BBC correspondents
- Access to our full range of video and audio
- Photo galleries and full-screen images
Apple Watch Support:
Story summaries, glanceable headlines and breaking news alerts delivered straight to your wrist
- Push notifications for breaking news stories
- Video over cellular and wifi
- Improved offline experience. Download the latest stories when you have a signal and then read them at your leisure
- Viewing modes. On iPhone see more stories per index by choosing ‘Compact layout’ from the Settings screen
- Settings to allow the app to automatically update in the background
- Share stories to your social networks, or email/SMS to a friend
- Support for dynamic text. The app will respect the font size in your device settings so you can increase or decrease the story text size as suits your preference
- Related stories, related topics. Go deeper into a storyline with suggestions for further reading and viewing and a range of topics related to each story
If you choose to receive push notifications, a unique identifier relating to your device will be stored by ProcessOne on behalf of the BBC to provide you with the service.
No other personal data relating to you (such as a username or email address) is processed. The BBC will keep your information secure and not share it with anyone else in accordance with the BBC’s Privacy and Cookies Policy, available at http://www.bbc.com/privacy/
You can choose to unsubscribe from push notifications from your device’s Notifications screen: locate the BBC News app icon from the list and turn off ‘Allow Notifications’.
What's New in Version 3.4.1
We are making monthly updates to improve performance and stability.
This release also includes crash fixes for users running iOS 9.
From a regular reader.
I liked the site better about 2 or 3 changes ago as it was less complicated and had less sensational coverage. Following the topics I am interested in has become a bit convoluted. I don't ever look at the videos they are a complete negative for me. I go to the site to read the news. Having said that your site is the only news site I look at. I just find it more enjoyable as their is more relevant news and still fewer stories about sensational macabre events. Some "news" is not worthy of reporting and should not be. It may attract some readers but nonetheless these stories serve no function than to appeal to the most base instincts of humanity.
In good shape right now - well done
My favorite news app. I think that it is good right now as far as format. I like that you can click on maps and photos and enlarge them. Of course it would be nice if the stories were updated more often, but mainly because I check for updates pretty often. First time that I have given it five stars. It has been more stable and the stories are cached well even if the images go blank when it can't update. To me it is the best news app by far.
One of the best apps I own
Functionally - solid. This app has a flow and layout that fully demonstrates that it's designer knows and respects the target audience - excellent flow and design yet simple to use.
Content - simply amazing! I live in the US where I can find more opinion than news. This is my go to app for news 1 useful news that is short and to the point and light on opinions. The updates are in real time.
Hands down this is be of the best apps that I own.
- Category: News
- Updated: Oct 15, 2015
- Version: 3.4.1
- Size: 18.6 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish
- Seller: BBC Worldwide LTD
- © 2015 BBC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.