Bear - beautiful writing app for notes and prose
By Shiny Frog di Matteo Rattotti e C. S.N.C.
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Bear is a beautiful, flexible writing app for crafting notes and prose.
Link notes to each other to build a body of work. Use hashtags to organize for the way you think. And yet, all notes are stored in plain, portable text.
WRITE YOUR WAY
Bear is perfect for everything from quick notes, to code snippets, to in-depth essays. A focus mode helps you concentrate, and advanced Markdown and other markup options are an online writer's best friend. Full in-line image support brings your writing to life, and keep yourself on task by adding todos to individual notes.
EDITING TOOLS AND EXPORTS
- Requires a Bear Pro in-app subscription. Learn more below.
Bear's simple tools take the effort out of writing, whether you need to hit specific word counts and reading times, or you need to convert your writing into PDF and Word docs. With Bear's custom markup shortcuts, you can add style and links with just a tap or keystroke.
USE IT EVERYWHERE
- Requires a Bear Pro in-app subscription. Learn more below.
Bear works on your devices, so you can write wherever inspiration strikes. Use todos to stay on task across every device.
SEARCH ALL THE THINGS
Bear can instantly search all your notes, but it can also focus on specific things with Search Triggers. Use @task to find all your todos, @tagged “ideas” to find your notes that are waiting to blossom, or @files to find all notes with attachments.
BEAR FEATURES AT A GLANCE
• Rich previews while writing so you see prose, not code
• In-line support for images and photos
• Advanced Markup Editor that supports and highlights over 20 programming languages
• Use Cross-Note Links to build a body of work, quickly reference other notes, and more
• Quickly add todos to individual notes to keep yourself on task
• Multiple export options including HTML, PDF, DOCX, MD, JPG, and more
• Smart Data Recognition of elements like links, emails, addresses, colors, and more to come
• Hashtags to quickly find and organize notes however you like
• One-tap formatting on iPhone and iPad with a custom shortcut bar
• Focus Mode hides notes and other options when it matters
• All your notes are stored in plain text for the ultimate portability
• Effortless, secure, and private multi-device sync via iCloud
• Regular updates to keep you and your writing current
Also available from Bear:
Bear Pro - Sync and more
• Sync notes between all your devices
• Advanced export to PDF, HTML, DOCX, JPG
• Eight gorgeous app themes to get just the right writing environment, with more themes on the way
• Keep the Bear updates coming
$1.49 monthly, $14.99 annually
Price may vary by location. Subscriptions will be charged to your credit card through your iTunes account. Your subscription will automatically renew unless canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. You will not be able to cancel the subscription once activated. Manage your subscriptions in Account Settings after purchase. Any unused portion of a free trial period, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription.
We'd love to answer your questions or just hear what you think about Bear. Find us online at:
Our forum: http://help.shinyfrog.net/discussions/bear
Terms of Service: http://www.bear-writer.com/terms/
What's New in Version 1.1.2
Good news, everyone! We just took Bear out for a mighty successful bug hunt. Bear’s going to sit back and enjoy the meal, while you can enjoy an even smoother, faster, and bug-freer Bear experience.
Awesome App and Great Evernote Replacement!
I switched from Evernote and am not looking back! There are three main reasons why I love this app: 1) You own your data, meaning it is not stored in some propriety format. Along with this, you can export your data and backup your data very easily . 2) App is iOS and macOS only. The advantage here is the development team can focus on one platform instead of trying to fit their app into each platform. 3) The app is easy to use and very intuitive. Instead of focusing on creating folders or creating tags, Bear takes care of that for you by creating the tag structure dynamically based on the content of the notes. I hope this app is around for a long time and the developers take notice of why users are leaving Evernote to come to Bear: focus on the core features and avoid bloat.
Nice UX, but not reliable enough for important work.
Everything I have experienced in Bear has been fantastic, but it takes only one thing to ruin it all: **data loss**. I actually have had _three_ data loss incidents since I have started using Bear, all of the incidents seem to have something to do with external note imports. If your imports from your other apps (I used Day One prior to this) somehow go wrong, **new notes, new edits, new tags you create after the imports**, will _not_ be saved into Bear database at all, and you are bound to lose all of your data after your quit the app, say, after a Mac restart.
The support also doesn’t know the cause of my data loss since they couldn’t reproduce my scenario.
I’m sorry to say this, since the app is nice and all, but the app’s database is currently too unstable and unreliable, especially with import from Day One which I used. When import goes wrong, it will not save **anything you do subsequently**, even though it may seem to sync over iCloud. Worse, you will only find out if things go wrong when you quit the app (not just closing window) and re-open it. Think how much work one would lose after a week or a month of work after a Mac restart, just because there was a seemingly unrelated import problem.
Not going to allow that happen to me.
EDIT: Changed 1 to 2 stars for a more balanced rating, since everything else I have experienced in the app has been great.
Great potential, but not there yet
I was looking for a more compact version of Evernote. On face value, Bear fits the bill: Great UX, mobile sync options, etc. But the interface fails sometimes (ugly scrollbars appears every now and then) and the icloud sync is iffy. The migration from my Evernote was smooth, but only imports the notes by tag. Maybe they will add a option to disregrads the Evernote tags and use the Notebook’s Name as Bear tags (to keep the notes together.
So, for now, I am sticking with Bear in the hopes that the UX and Sync woes get addressed soon. If you are coming from any other platform, wait a little. Other wise, give it a shot ;-)
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Apr 10, 2017
- Version: 1.1.2
- Size: 6.4 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Shiny Frog di Matteo Rattotti e C. S.N.C.
- © 2016 Shiny Frog di Matteo Rattotti e C. S.N.C.
Compatibility: OS X 10.10 or later, 64-bit processor
Top In-App Purchases
- Bear Pro$1.49
- Bear Pro$14.99