Bear is a focused, flexible writing app used by everyone from bloggers and web developers to aspiring authors and students! It has quick organization, editing tools, and export options to help you write quickly and share anywhere.
2017 Apple Design Award
App Store App of the Year 2016
“My journaling app of choice is Bear” - Kit Eaton, New York Times
*WRITE YOUR WAY* with flexible yet simple tools
Bear is used by bloggers, book authors, lawyers, students, teachers, cooks, startups, travelers, families, and so many more!
- Tools stay out of your way so you can just write
- One-tap formatting on iPhone and iPad with a custom shortcut bar
- **NEW** Create new notes with Siri and your wonderful voice
- Dictate and append to recent notes with your Apple Watch
- Pick from over a dozen themes for the perfect writing space (requires Bear Pro. Learn more below)
*COLLECT AND CREATE* web pages and sketches
- Support for sketching, drawing, and Apple Pencil (and other styli)
- Grab images, text, files, and clip web pages with Bear’s app extension
*ORGANIZE QUICKLY* with tasks and #tags
- Add #tags, #multi-word tags# and even #multiple/nested/tags anywhere in a note for quick organization
- Add tasks to notes to stay on track
- Archive notes to keep them around, but out of your way
- Use Cross-Note Links to build a body of work, reference other notes, and more
- Pick custom icons to help important tags stand out in the Sidebar
Some export features require a Bear Pro in-app subscription. Learn more below.
- Multiple export options including HTML, PDF, DOCX, MD, JPG, EPUB and more (some export options require Bear Pro)
- Copy part of a note in a variety of formats to paste elsewhere
*SEARCH ALL THE THINGS*
- Quickly find what you need in Bear with keyword highlights
- Focus on specific types of notes with powerful Search Triggers. Try @task to find all notes with todos. Use @files to find all notes with attachments
*USE IT EVERYWHERE*
A single Bear Pro subscription unlocks sync and other features across all your devices. Learn more below.
- Sync your notes between Mac, iPad, iPhone, and Apple Watch
- Notes sync via iCloud, not our servers
- A single in-app subscription works across all your devices
*YOUR NOTES, NOT OURS*
- Bear is private at its core: We can’t see your notes, tags, or anything else
- Export some or all notes to open, portable formats like Plain Text, Markdown, and TextBundle for the ultimate in portability—we don’t lock you in
- With a Bear Pro subscription, your notes sync via iCloud, not our servers
- Backup and restore all notes with just a couple taps
*UNLOCK ALL FEATURES WITH BEAR PRO*
One low, yearly subscription enables a variety of features on all your devices and keeps the Bear hugs coming.
- Sync notes between your iPhone, iPad, and Mac via iCloud
- Advanced export to PDF, HTML, DOCX, JPG
- Over a dozen gorgeous app themes to help you create the best writing environment
- More themes are on the way
- Keep the Bear updates coming
$1.49 monthly, $14.99 annually (an 18% savings!)
Price may vary by location. Subscriptions will be charged to your credit card through your iTunes account. Your subscription will automatically renew unless canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. You will not be able to cancel the subscription once activated. After purchase, manage your subscriptions in App Store Account Settings. Any unused portion of a free trial period, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription.
$1.49 monthly, includes a one week free trial
$14.99 annually, includes a one month free trial
We'd love to answer your questions or just hear what you think about Bear. Find us online at:
Terms of Service: https://bear.app/terms/
Welcome to Bear 1.6: The Siri & Navigation Edition! We packed some great stuff in this release, including 14 new iMessage stickers!
Learn more at: blog.bear-writer.com
**Siri Shortcuts and Search**
- Create new notes on iOS with Siri and the beautiful sound of your voice
- Use Siri any time to search your notes, without opening Bear
- Go to Settings > Siri & Search > All Shortcuts to create your own custom Siri commands for Bear (and many other apps!)
- Two new Special Search triggers: use @date and @cdate in the search box to search by modification date and creation date, respectively
**Enhanced Header Linking Super Technology**
Tap or click on any H1-H6 header for a way to link to that specific note’s section from other notes. This is great for working across multiple long notes, creating a personal wiki, and so much more!
**Sync transparency for Bear Pro**
It’s 2018, but sync can still be hard. For Bear Pro users with sync, we’re making Bear more transparent about when it last synced and if there is anything causing trouble.
Bear will try to be clearer about what’s going on if there’s an error, whether it’s a Bear Pro registration problem, iCloud is out of space or not set up properly, a poor internet connection, or a good ol’ fashioned error.
Finally, if Bear ever runs into a sync conflict, it will now display affected notes in a “Conflicted” section in the Sidebar.
**Lots of Other Goodies**
- Bear now saves your scroll and cursor position when switching notes
- Dark Mode support
- One new free theme for all users: Dark Graphite
- One new theme for Bear Pro customers: Duotone Heat, Inspired by Base2Tone Heath Light by Bram de Haan
- 16 new TagCons! Including world, prize, doctor, and various religions
- 14 new iMessage stickers from our amazing designer, Vic Bell, a.k.a. @vic_bell on Twitter
Let us know what you think of Bear 1.6 or how your latest writing project is going!
Ratings and Reviews
Most Transformative App
I have been using Evernote heavily since 2009. In recent years, as it has become incrementally more bloated and more expensive, I’ve been looking for a replacement, but everything I found was missing some particular feature that I needed. Bear, while much simpler, and ostensibly less powerful, does absolutely everything I REALLY need for organization, writing, business tracking, and creative thought. It does it in a visually beautiful way, with a markup language that really makes the tool fade into subconscious and lets me record thoughts without distraction of too many buttons and gimmicks. Tagging, note linking, formatting, and organization are completely intuitive. The cost is far less than Evernote Premium, and there are not restrictions with using on all of my Apple devices.
I hope they can implement note sharing without messing with their formula, and I hope they expand to other platforms so I can share with friends, coworkers, and family, but if it stays just as it is today, Bear will continue to be the foundational piece of my workflow and creative and business processes.
I don’t think I’ve ever written a Mac app review before, but I find the one-star reviews for this app so befuddling that I felt the need to chime in. Bear is my absolute favorite text editor. It’s beautiful, clean, and charming. I have personally never had a sync issue, and I use it on Mac, iPad, iPhone, and Watch. It’s also been updated quickly to take advantage of new hardware features.
I’ve never used Evernote for what it’s worth. Though I have used several markdown editors, and Bear is definitely my favorite. As for notebooks, Bear just uses a different organizational metaphor. Instead of putting one thing in one notebook, you add tags to the document. These tags can be chained together which creates a nested hierarchy in the tag panel. This way you can assign a document to multiple tags if you want. So a work note can be tagged #Company/Project and #Year/Month and #Subject. For me this makes it SO easy to find what I’m looking for in many different contexts. It may not work for everyone, but I suggest giving it a chance if you find the rest of the app appealing.
Buggy and Unreliable
I purchased a Bear Pro subscription after trying the app for free and reading the positive reviews of the more advanced features. The app worked as expected for a brief period of time, but stopped syncing between my Mac and iPhone a few weeks ago. I emailed tech support, which directed me to a self-help FAQ and asked me to attach device logs. I did, and their team was fairly quick to respond with the prognosis that I had "accidentally removed the files from the iCloud Drive which are required to sync the notes between the devices.” Now this seemed strange considering that I had not removed any files from my iCloud, but I followed direction nonetheless. The result: The app began synching again, but deleted all of my notes. Everything. Gone.
This was frustrating, but luckily I had saved the most important information to my iPhone’s Notes app (which, simple as is it is, has never failed me…), so I decided to grin and Bear it for another test run. That was, however, until this morning when the app once again stopped synching between my devices. Bear, while decently-designed, is too unreliable for me to trust. Deleting the app and cancelling my Pro subscription. Use caution and back up your work elsewhere if you value your notes, etc.
- Shiny Frog Ltd.
- 13.5 MB
- OS X 10.11 or later, 64-bit processor
- English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Shiny Frog Ltd.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.