Bear is a focused, flexible writing app used by everyone from bloggers and web developers to aspiring authors and students! It has quick organization, editing tools, and export options to help you write quickly and share anywhere.
2017 Apple Design Award
App Store App of the Year 2016
“My journaling app of choice is Bear” - Kit Eaton, New York Times
*WRITE YOUR WAY* with flexible yet simple tools
Bear is used by bloggers, book authors, lawyers, students, teachers, cooks, startups, travelers, families, and so many more!
- Tools stay out of your way so you can just write
- One-tap formatting on iPhone and iPad with a custom shortcut bar
- **NEW** Create new notes with Siri and your wonderful voice
- Dictate and append to recent notes with your Apple Watch
- Pick from over a dozen themes for the perfect writing space (requires Bear Pro. Learn more below)
*COLLECT AND CREATE* web pages and sketches
- Support for sketching, drawing, and Apple Pencil (and other styli)
- Grab images, text, files, and clip web pages with Bear’s app extension
*ORGANIZE QUICKLY* with tasks and #tags
- Add #tags, #multi-word tags# and even #multiple/nested/tags anywhere in a note for quick organization
- Add tasks to notes to stay on track
- Archive notes to keep them around, but out of your way
- Use Cross-Note Links to build a body of work, reference other notes, and more
- Pick custom icons to help important tags stand out in the Sidebar
Some export features require a Bear Pro in-app subscription. Learn more below.
- Multiple export options including HTML, PDF, DOCX, MD, JPG, EPUB and more (some export options require Bear Pro)
- Copy part of a note in a variety of formats to paste elsewhere
*SEARCH ALL THE THINGS*
- Quickly find what you need in Bear with keyword highlights
- Focus on specific types of notes with powerful Search Triggers. Try @task to find all notes with todos. Use @files to find all notes with attachments
*USE IT EVERYWHERE*
A single Bear Pro subscription unlocks sync and other features across all your devices. Learn more below.
- Sync your notes between Mac, iPad, iPhone, and Apple Watch
- Notes sync via iCloud, not our servers
- A single in-app subscription works across all your devices
*YOUR NOTES, NOT OURS*
- Bear is private at its core: We can’t see your notes, tags, or anything else
- Export some or all notes to open, portable formats like Plain Text, Markdown, and TextBundle for the ultimate in portability—we don’t lock you in
- With a Bear Pro subscription, your notes sync via iCloud, not our servers
- Backup and restore all notes with just a couple taps
*UNLOCK ALL FEATURES WITH BEAR PRO*
One low, yearly subscription enables a variety of features on all your devices and keeps the Bear hugs coming.
- Sync notes between your iPhone, iPad, and Mac via iCloud
- Advanced export to PDF, HTML, DOCX, JPG
- Over a dozen gorgeous app themes to help you create the best writing environment
- More themes are on the way
- Keep the Bear updates coming
$1.49 monthly, $14.99 annually (an 18% savings!)
Price may vary by location. Subscriptions will be charged to your credit card through your iTunes account. Your subscription will automatically renew unless canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. You will not be able to cancel the subscription once activated. After purchase, manage your subscriptions in App Store Account Settings. Any unused portion of a free trial period, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription.
$1.49 monthly, includes a one week free trial
$14.99 annually, includes a one month free trial
We'd love to answer your questions or just hear what you think about Bear. Find us online at:
Terms of Service: http://www.bear-writer.com/terms/
Welcome to Bear 1.6: The Siri & Navigation Edition! We packed some great stuff in this release, including 14 new iMessage stickers!
Learn more at: blog.bear-writer.com
**Siri Shortcuts and Search**
- Create new notes on iOS with Siri and the beautiful sound of your voice
- Use Siri any time to search your notes, without opening Bear
- Go to Settings > Siri & Search > All Shortcuts to create your own custom Siri commands for Bear (and many other apps!)
- Two new Special Search triggers: use @date and @cdate in the search box to search by modification date and creation date, respectively
**Enhanced Note Navigation Mega Technology**
Tap the Editor with two fingers for our new Quick Nav to get around your notes more quickly:
- Tap to see a navigation menu to move to the beginning or end of the current note, or to the previous and next notes
- Two-finger swipe in any of those directions to skip the menu and navigate immediately
**Enhanced Header Linking Super Technology**
Tap or click on any H1-H6 header for a way to link to that specific note’s section from other notes. This is great for working across multiple long notes, creating a personal wiki, and so much more!
**Sync transparency for Bear Pro**
It’s 2018, but sync can still be hard. For Bear Pro users with sync, we’re making Bear more transparent about when it last synced and if there is anything causing trouble.
Bear will try to be clearer about what’s going on if there’s an error, whether it’s a Bear Pro registration problem, iCloud is out of space or not set up properly, a poor internet connection, or a good ol’ fashioned error.
Finally, if Bear ever runs into a sync conflict, it will now display affected notes in a “Conflicted” section in the Sidebar.
**Lots of Other Goodies**
- Bear now saves your scroll and cursor position when switching notes
- Dark Mode support for macOS Mojave!
- One new free theme for all users: Dark Graphite
- One new theme for Bear Pro customers: Duotone Heat, Inspired by Base2Tone Heath Light by Bram de Haan
- 16 new TagCons! Including world, prize, doctor, and various religions
- 14 new iMessage stickers from our amazing designer, Vic Bell, a.k.a. @vic_bell on Twitter
Let us know what you think of Bear 1.6 or how your latest writing project is going!
Ratings and Reviews
Steinbeck liked pencils, and Orwell had his trusty Remington typewriter. But us? We like Bear. It’s a writing app that’s as capable as the best of them—but doesn’t bury us in technical intricacies and toolbars. Linking notes is as easy as dropping a hashtag, and formatting your work is a total breeze. We especially love this Apple Design Award winner on iPad.
Literally, One of the BEST apps I’ve ever used
First and Foremost, I want to thank the developers of Bear. I know a lot of hard work and effort goes into creating apps, so thank you for taking the time to make this amazing app.
Secondly, as a 3 year marketing student, getting a 2 year degree and constantly struggling with ADHD, I have finally found an app that allows me to organize my life, school, and manage every in between. I’m a little different when it comes to organization, but downloading Bear has been life changing. The way the notes work, from connecting each other with embedded links, to organizing with multilevel hashtags. And all on a beautiful UI. Apps like this are hard to come by! This is one of the only reviews I have ever made, and I know how important good feedback is. The only thing I’d change is allowing a person to hide the formatting of headers. I understand formatting for exporting so i think that may not be possible. Other than that, perfect. Perfect. Perfect. I’ve set my school and personal notes like a webpage so I can travel when my mind wanders on notes that I’ve created. Thank you for simplifying my school experience and I hope my rating brings in more business for a fine tuned product!
I had to pause my note-taking to write this review
Ok. Here’s my story.
I write a lot of content on my commute and at home. I used whatever app was easily accessible so I could quickly jot down my ideas before I forgot and build more content later. I’ve used the iOS notes app, google docs, trello and Evernote(briefly). Each of these products solved a particular pain point for me and as you can imagine I had content all over the place.
Then in an attempt to organize all this information I found Bear on the App Store. I had never heard of the app before. So I tried it out. Let’s just say I’m not regretting this. Bear is simple and elegant. Quick for jotting down ideas as the pop into your head, yet powerful for building on these ideas with more content. I love that I can quickly create a directory structure just by tagging my notes. And formatting your content is easy. I bought the yearly subscription after writing my first note. Didn’t even read what the yearly subscription offered. I was sold, and it had a good price point. I love the simplicity of the app (please Bear never make this more complicated) and look forward to seeing what else Bear offers
- Shiny Frog Ltd.
- 39 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Shiny Frog Ltd.
- In-App Purchases
- Monthly Pro subscription $1.49
- Yearly Pro subscription $14.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.