By Shiny Frog
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Bear is a beautiful, flexible writing app for crafting notes, prose, code and now sketches!
Link notes to each other to build a body of work. Use hashtags to organize for the way you think. And yet, all notes are stored in plain, portable text.
WRITE YOUR WAY
Bear is perfect for everything from quick notes, to code snippets, to in-depth essays. A focus mode helps you concentrate, and advanced Markdown and other markup options are an online writer's best friend. Full in-line image support brings your writing to life, and keep yourself on task by adding todos to individual notes.
EDITING TOOLS AND EXPORTS
- Requires a Bear Pro in-app subscription. Learn more below.
Bear's simple tools take the effort out of writing, whether you need to hit specific word counts and reading times, or you need to convert your writing into PDF and Word docs. With Bear's custom markup shortcuts, you can add style and links with just a tap or keystroke.
USE IT EVERYWHERE
- Requires a Bear Pro in-app subscription. Learn more below.
Bear works on your devices, so you can write wherever inspiration strikes. Use todos to stay on task across every device.
SEARCH ALL THE THINGS
Bear can instantly search all your notes, but it can also focus on specific things with Search Triggers. Use @task to find all your todos, @tagged “ideas” to find your notes that are waiting to blossom, or @files to find all notes with attachments.
BEAR FEATURES AT A GLANCE
• Rich previews while writing so you see prose, not code
• In-line support for images and photos
• Advanced Markup Editor that supports and highlights over 20 programming languages
• Use Cross-Note Links to build a body of work, quickly reference other notes, and more
• Quickly add todos to individual notes to keep yourself on task
• Multiple export options including HTML, PDF, DOCX, MD, JPG, and more
• Smart Data Recognition of elements like links, emails, addresses, colors, and more to come
• Hashtags to quickly find and organize notes however you like
• One-tap formatting on iPhone and iPad with a custom shortcut bar
• Focus Mode hides notes and other options when it matters
• All your notes are stored in plain text for the ultimate portability
• Effortless, secure, and private multi-device sync via iCloud
• Touchbar support
• Custom app icons to match Pro themes
• Regular updates to keep you and your writing current
Also available from Bear:
Bear Pro - Sync and more
• Sync notes between all your devices
• Advanced export to PDF, HTML, DOCX, JPG
• Eight gorgeous app themes to get just the right writing environment, with more themes on the way
• Keep the Bear updates coming
$1.49 monthly, $14.99 annually
Price may vary by location. Subscriptions will be charged to your credit card through your iTunes account. Your subscription will automatically renew unless canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. You will not be able to cancel the subscription once activated. Manage your subscriptions in Account Settings after purchase. Any unused portion of a free trial period, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription.
We'd love to answer your questions or just hear what you think about Bear. Find us online at:
Our forum: http://help.shinyfrog.net/discussions/bear
Terms of Service: http://www.bear-writer.com/terms/
What's New in Version 1.3.1
- Fix for 10.10 crash
- Fix for browser extension
I don’t understand the negative reviews
This app does exactly what I always wanted a note taking app to do. And a lot more! People are complaining about not having this feature or that feature or having to pay for Pro to use this or that and its absurd. The reason people like this is that it isn’t a huge, bloated mess for “power users”. If you prefer something like Evernote, go use Evernote, not Bear. Bear is for minimalists who actually have a brain and don’t need an app to think for them, plus the pro subscription which I gladly pay for is $15 per YEAR. Per Y E A R.
I am so happy that Bear exists and is on iOS and MacOS. If I type something on my phone it shows up on the mac about 2 seconds later so I’m not sure what “syncing problems” people are complaining about.
Anyway, if you are tired of clunky software that tries to be so organized that you spend more time figuring out where and how to put things down, get Bear and live your life in note taking peace.
Awesome App and Great Evernote Replacement!
I switched from Evernote and am not looking back! There are three main reasons why I love this app: 1) You own your data, meaning it is not stored in some propriety format. Along with this, you can export your data and backup your data very easily . 2) App is iOS and macOS only. The advantage here is the development team can focus on one platform instead of trying to fit their app into each platform. 3) The app is easy to use and very intuitive. Instead of focusing on creating folders or creating tags, Bear takes care of that for you by creating the tag structure dynamically based on the content of the notes. I hope this app is around for a long time and the developers take notice of why users are leaving Evernote to come to Bear: focus on the core features and avoid bloat.
With the latest updates, the development team does a great job of balancing features while avoiding bloat.
Lack of Typewriter mode
Overall this is a very well designed app. I liked the design so well that I immediately signed up for the one year subscription, but after using it for a few days I cancelled my subscription. There is one missing feature that is crucial for those of us that write a lot. There is no Typewriter mode. As a result I am forced to write at the bottom of the page and screen. This is very annoying and irritating. I’m surprised the designers didn’t include a Typewriter mode. All the other major writing apps include Typewrite mode. I contacted the developer and was informed that they will “consider” it in the future. That’s doesn’t give me much confidence. I’ll keep the free version in case they decide to update this app. But currently I do not see this app as useable.
Update: I’m realizing that this app is really for note taking. It’s an alternative to Evernote. I don’t think the developers intend that this be a dedicated writing app. I’ve been comparing Bear to Ulysses and iA Writer, but Bear serves a different purpose than the dedicated writing apps like Ulysses.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Sep 27, 2017
- Version: 1.3.1
- Size: 10.1 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Shiny Frog di Matteo Rattotti e C. S.N.C.
- © 2016 Shiny Frog di Matteo Rattotti e C. S.N.C.
Compatibility: OS X 10.10 or later, 64-bit processor
Top In-App Purchases
- Bear Pro$1.49
- Bear Pro$14.99