Berkanan is a Bluetooth-powered group messaging app. It gives people a way to communicate in situations with poor or no cellular connectivity. Alongside group messaging, Berkanan also allows private one-to-one encrypted messaging. The range for these messages is about 70 meters, but if there are people between you and your intended recipient with the app installed, Berkanan can send messages further by going through other users' devices.
• Nearby Messaging: Chat with people nearby. Send public and private messages.
• P2P: Messages travel from device to device.
• Offline: Works offline, only with Bluetooth. No need for Wi-Fi or cellular connectivity.
• Notifications: Works in the background. Get notified of nearby users and messages.
• No Account: Use it without the need to register for an account.
• Profile Editing: Add personality to your profile.
• Added dark and light mode appearances. We think you will love dark mode, so we made it default.
• Added wallpaper feature. Customize the background of Public (only on iPad) and Nearby.
• Added eye candy to profile edit button.
• Removed private message unread indicator in Nearby when private message notifications are disabled.
• Fixed a bug making the keyboard go nuts when Public is dragged down while editing the input on iPhone.
Do you love the app? Please leave a short review. We would love to hear your suggestions on how we could improve Berkanan for you!
Ratings and Reviews
Great App Good Feedback from Developer
What an awesome idea and beautifully designed app. My previous review left me a little confused with ongoing notifications but the developer responded quickly. I’ll definitely be using this app a lot with family members. Hopefully the software can be updated to enhance notifications so that once a private conversation has started you can receive ongoing notifications while blocking private messages after the first message.
Edit: Fast response from developer. The issue was corrected by enabling the correct settings per feedback. I don’t really need the premium features, but love the quick feedback and apso I chip in for it.
Hi! Thank you for your kind words! If you set App Settings > Notifications > Private Messages > On for Messaged Users then you will be notified only of private messages from your trusted contacts (users whom you already have a conversation with), and will not be bothered by strangers.
Edit: Thank you! Don't hesitate to contact us in the future with your ideas and thoughts!
Imagine if this was a pre-installed feature on every phone. You could theoretically send messages over long distances without the need for a cellular connection using all the other phones as relays. I see this as being very useful during natural disasters when cell service is down, for example.
You can't imagine what your review means to us. Thank you! Don't hesitate to contact us with your ideas and thoughts in the future.
Love it!! But could use some features
This messenger is amazing for people who work on cruise ships
I would love some features though:
A group chat, so even if they’re not in range, once they are they get the message!!! A group chat is so handy.
And a way to favorite someone. So they either come up at the top of the screen when they’re in range, or they have a star on them so you can find the people you talk to the most easily.
Also: I’ve purchased the app.... but it still won’t let me edit my profile. It just keeps making me buy it over and over again, says I already have it downloaded, and then still won’t let me edit my profile.
Hi Ariana! Thank you for your review and thoughtful feedback. Let me address some of your issues.
Auto retry for sending messages when users are in range is a great feature suggestion! We will definitely consider it for an upcoming update.
Regarding favoriting users: Just start chatting with someone privately and they get auto favorited, in the sense of they will be always visible in Nearby, even if they are not in range.
Regarding failing purchasing Profile Editing feature: Just go to App Settings by tapping the top right button in Nearby, then scroll down and select Restore Purchases, and wait a few secs for Done to appear. Then go back to your profile and Edit should work. If it prompts you again to purchase then it means you didn't successfully purchase it the last time. Don't worry, you won't get charged multiple times for it, it's a one-time purchase and Apple will notify you that you already purchased after you press Buy.
In-App PurchasesSee All
- IZE, Ltd.
- 39.2 MB
- Social Networking
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Arabic, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 IZE, Ltd.
- In-App Purchases
- Profile Editing $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.