Betterment is an online financial advisor built to help you reach your financial goals. Our cutting-edge technology helps keep fees low, provides ongoing, personalized financial guidance, and manages your money with sophisticated investment strategies.
Our mission: to help you make the most of your money so you can live better. For one low, transparent fee of 0.25% annually, you get personalized advice to help you reach your financial goals.
INVEST WITH BETTERMENT—HERE’S HOW:
1) We ask questions to help you figure out your investing goals (e.g., retirement, house down payment, dream vacation) and make recommendations to help you reach them.
2) We build you a personalized investment portfolio of low-cost ETFs and manage it with cutting-edge technology.
3) We provide ongoing advice through our platform. As your money grows, our guidance evolves to help you make smart decisions with your money.
MORE ABOUT INVESTING WITH BETTERMENT
Invest with Smart Saver, our savings account alternative
• We can analyze your expenses to help you find extra cash in your checking account.
• Next, you can move that money to Smart Saver, our low-risk investing account for your cash.
• If you need your cash, you can transfer it back to your checking account, with no early withdrawal fees or penalties.
• Or, let us move it for you. Our Two-Way Sweep feature pairs with our cash analysis to effortlessly move money between your checking and Smart Saver.
Get a better investing experience:
• We’ll help you choose your portfolio based on your financial goals or by your desired account type, including individual and joint taxable, traditional IRA, and Roth IRA.
• Deposit, withdraw, and track your investments with our intuitively designed investing app.
• Access our Customer Experience Team with questions—seven days a week.
• Your satisfaction is guaranteed—learn more: https://www.betterment.com/satisfaction-guarantee/
Utilize automated investing features:
• Auto-deposit helps you save better and helps remove the hassle from regular investing.
• Rebalancing, tax loss harvesting, and asset location help keep your taxes low.
• Portfolio tracking features let you see all your accounts in one place.
Your security is our top priority:
• Access your account with Fingerprint or a secure PIN.
• Brokerage services provided to clients of Betterment LLC by Betterment Securities, an SEC registered broker-dealer and member FINRA. Betterment Securities is a Member of SIPC, which protects securities customers of its members up to $500,000 (including $250,000 for claims for cash). Explanatory brochure available upon request or at www.sipc.org.
Have a question about your account? We’re happy to help—please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll look into it.
Betterment LLC is an SEC-registered investment adviser. Investing in securities involves risks, and there is always the potential of losing money when you invest in securities. Before investing, consider your investment objectives and Betterment's charges and expenses. Not an offer, solicitation of an offer, or advice to buy or sell securities in jurisdictions where Betterment is not registered. All images and return figures shown are for illustrative purposes only, and are not actual customer or model returns. Visit Betterment.com for more information.
We added back the date selector experience and made some additional improvements. Keep that feedback coming. We're listening!
Ratings and Reviews
Financial service additions
Hello, I think your platform is great and you’ve definitely created an interface that is easily usable to the average person. Although I think that for betterment to grow bigger it needs to be more open to other aspects of investment other then just an automated investment service. Such as banking services that include debit and credit cards and high interest savings accounts that don’t require you to pay a fee from your earning like the smart saver requires. Also, I know you have something like this in a way but having it expanded would be beneficial to clients that put all of there accounts on their betterment account. I’m talking about services like creating a financial picture that pulls everything together and tells you your total financial net worth and where you will be in the future between all of your accounts externally and through betterment would be beneficial to your clients. Just some thoughts, still love the app and your doing a great job regardless but these ideas would be a cool addition. Thank you
Betterment makes it easy to save for retirement or any other goal. The individual goals you can create are really nice to see how much you have saved towards each one instead of just having one large pot of money. The iOS app is super simple to use and makes depositing money or seeing performance easy.
I have not had an account long enough to really compare the returns to other investments. They recently added a much simpler view to see your annualized returns vs benchmarks on the website which should make comparisons easier moving forward.
With Betterment you are using their robo advisor so don’t expect to pick your own funds. I believe that Betterment leans a little heavier on foreign fund than other similar robo advisors. But that doesn’t really matter as you set your stock/bond percentage that matches your desired risk level and Betterment does the rest.
Betterment posts many helpful/interesting articles, but do take everything with a little grain of salt as many things are geared towards why they are right or how you can’t compare directly to other benchmarks.
All in all I have loved this investing/savings tool. I have seen good returns and low fees. The app and web interface are clean and easy to use. Recommend for anyone looking to start investing/saving. If you are a more hands on investor, Betterment might not be for you, and you might want to look else where.
Really like the company, app needs help
I am a huge fan of the company and how they operate. An automated ETF solution that allows me to get broad exposure and control my allocation to stocks and bonds if I feel comfortable is wonderful. However, as others have stated, the app is generally frustrating. They should take some lessons from Vanguard and try to incorporate some of their functionality and summaries such as: tables that lay out how much each account as made, principal infested for each account, cost basis, dividends received, etc... Then, on a performance tab, show a graph that breaks out principal and returns so people can see what they have actually made. Then have a table that shows investment returns vs income returns for each month. I love Vanguard’s app if you can’t tell and think they are phenomenal, but I like Betterment’s investment platform for consistent investing over time. Hopefully the app gets better and they focus on facts and functionality.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.