Betterment is an online financial advisor built for people who refuse to settle for average investing. People who demand better. People like you.
Our mission: to help you make the most of your money so you can live better.
1) We ask questions to help you figure out your investing goals (e.g., retirement, house down payment, dream vacation) and make recommendations to help you reach them.
2) We build you a personalized investment portfolio of low-cost ETFs and manage it with cutting-edge technology.
3) We provide ongoing advice through our platform that grows with your investments to help you make smart decisions with your money.
MORE ABOUT INVESTING WITH BETTERMENT
Invest your cash
• We can analyze your expenses to help you find extra cash in your checking account.
• Next, you can move that money to Smart Saver, our low-risk investing account for your cash.
• If you need your cash, you can transfer it back to checking account, with no early withdrawal fees or penalties.
• Or, let us move it for you. Our Two-Way Sweep feature pairs with our cash analysis to effortlessly move money between your checking and Smart Saver.
Get a better investing experience:
• Deposit, withdrawal, and track your investments in the palm of your hand.
• Access our Customer Experience Team with questions—seven days per week.
• Your satisfaction is guaranteed—learn more: https://www.betterment.com/satisfaction-guarantee/
• You get everything for one low, transparent fee of 0.25%.
Utilize automated investing features
• Auto-deposit helps you save better and remove the hassle from regular investing.
• Rebalancing, tax loss harvesting, and asset location help keep taxes low.
Your security is our top priority:
• Access your account with Fingerprint or a secure PIN.
• Member of SIPC, which protects securities customers of its members up to $500,000 (including $250,000 for claims for cash). Explanatory brochure available upon request or at www.sipc.org.
Have a question about your account? We’re happy to help—please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll look into it.
Betterment LLC is an SEC-registered investment adviser. Investing in securities involves risks, and there is always the potential of losing money when you invest in securities. Before investing, consider your investment objectives and Betterment's charges and expenses. Not an offer, solicitation of an offer, or advice to buy or sell securities in jurisdictions where Betterment is not registered. All images and return figures shown are for illustrative purposes only, and are not actual customer or model returns. Visit Betterment.com for more information.
Introducing Two-Way Sweep, our new feature that pairs with cash analysis to effortlessly move money between your checking account and Smart Saver.
Ratings and Reviews
Really like the company, app needs help
I am a huge fan of the company and how they operate. An automated ETF solution that allows me to get broad exposure and control my allocation to stocks and bonds if I feel comfortable is wonderful. However, as others have stated, the app is generally frustrating. They should take some lessons from Vanguard and try to incorporate some of their functionality and summaries such as: tables that lay out how much each account as made, principal infested for each account, cost basis, dividends received, etc... Then, on a performance tab, show a graph that breaks out principal and returns so people can see what they have actually made. Then have a table that shows investment returns vs income returns for each month. I love Vanguard’s app if you can’t tell and think they are phenomenal, but I like Betterment’s investment platform for consistent investing over time. Hopefully the app gets better and they focus on facts and functionality.
Great for New Investors or Those with Little Time
If I had the time, or the money, I would love to do all the trading myself. However, i simply don’t have the time.
With the extremely low account management fees and the simple portfolio selection process, I’ve been able to place small weekly sums of money into my betterment account and I haven’t had to worry about investing it myself. This has definitely made saving/planning much easier and convenient and I am excited about the future. I’d definitely recommend this to any young individual (high school or college especially) who wants to start saving for retirement but hasn’t yet because they don’t have the time. It took 20 minutes to set up and the application is extremely user friendly.
Great service for a great price
I'm an avid investor and I love the idea of having a robo-advisor in addition to my other accounts. I just hate how some features aren't as practical as they should be for a web/app based program. I can only link one bank account at a time for auto transfers?! That's crazy to me. I have like 4 different bank/brokerage accounts on rotation. Another thing is I can't see the account number for the bank account that I have linked. That's also annoying considering I have two accounts with that bank, so I always forget which account is linked because I have to change it every time I want to switch accounts. I'm thinking of moving all my money from my betterment account and just buying ETFs in my taxable brokerage account with someone else to save myself the hassle and inconvenience. :/
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.