Hamaguchi Apps for Speech, Language & Auditory Development presents a groundbreaking iPad app designed for upper elementary students and older, who would benefit from practice interpreting vocal intonation, facial expressions, perspective-taking, body language, and idiomatic or slang expressions. Using real photographs, voices and short mini-video clips of a variety of social situations and expressions, this app provides a dynamic way to help learn and practice interpreting messages that are “between the lines” and simply can’t be replicated with worksheets and static flashcards.
Check out our demo video on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRy4QF1E1Y8
This is Level 1 Lite, which presents content that is a perfect introduction to our Between the Lines app series. This lite app provides 12 samples of each of the three activities for a total of 36 tasks and is for a single user only. (The full version provides 204 total tasks)
This app uses American expressions and body language.
There are three activities in this app:
1. Listening: The user hears a voice speak a sentence, e.g., “Ewww!” A question is then asked, “Who said it?” The user is shown a series of photographs. Depending upon the settings selected, there can be 2, 3 or 4 choices shown. The user touches the correct facial expression that matches the voice.
2. Body Language: A very short video-clip is shown that depicts an interaction or situation. For example, a family is shown at a restaurant. A friend walks up and says, “Hey, did you hear the news about Mr. Becker?” (smiling) The camera closes in on this woman and the narrator says, “What is she thinking?” The user’s task is to look at the choices of responses and select the one that matches the facial expression/body language.
3. Expressions: A very short video-clip is shown that depicts an actor speaking a sentence that contains an idiomatic or slang expression, e.g., “She’s kind of nosy.’” The user is then asked, “What does that mean?” Slang expressions that might be considered offensive ("that movie sucks") are included in a separate setting within the Activities tab. This is a new feature! They are not included in the default setting unless specifically selected.
The lite version is for a single user only. The percentage correct is reported for each user’s performance on each of the three activities. The user can select his/her own individual settings. Settings include: Selection of the activities, order of the activities (or random), praise phrases and correct sound effect bell on/off; answer choices (group of 2, 3 or 4), how to display choices (automatically or manually) and whether to move forward automatically or by touching an arrow. Progress can be tracked, and displayed or not displayed.
Reward animations are provided at selected intervals for a welcome fun and break. This is not a game of skill, but a fun diversion. The lite version includes one game, Dunk Tank. **IT CAN BE TURNED OFF within the settings.
*Please contact our tech support if you are experiencing any technical issues with our apps. We will always help you troubleshoot it and get back to you generally within one business day. We cannot respond to reviews and there are generally easy solutions to every issue. email@example.com
Developed by licensed and ASHA-certified speech-language pathologist and author, Patti Hamaguchi, M.A., CCC-SLP. To find out more about this app and our other upcoming projects, visit our website: www.hamaguchiapps.com
iOS 11 optimization
Ratings and Reviews
Between the Lines Level 1 Lite HD
Between the Lines Level 1 Lite HD is designed to help increase and build awareness of body language,vocal intonation and facial expressions. The lite version will allow a guest user and addition of one more player. This app will track data on the players as they choose the correct or incorrect response to given situations. Using facial cues in pictures or statements to explain the situation the student is scored on listening skills, or body language recognition . The setting button allow one to tailor the activities, choose the encouragement, number of answer choices, the reward and how often and how to track progress. This is a nice app with great pictures/ and short video clips and a voice that is easy to listen to. The lite version is great if you only have one player and provides quite a few senarios. Upgrading to full will allow for up to 75 users and 204 tasks total. This is an excellent app for Speech Therapists to use.
I have a child with HF-ASD. I imagine,like me, you are choosing this app to teach pragmatics. The lessons are set up wonderfully. The child can work at his own pace and can repeat the videos or audio as needed. Also nice is the gentle prompt of an incorrect answer with an x in the choice-nothing more. What I didn't like about the app and the reason I will not use it with my son has to do with the reward game. In this game, the user taps a button to throw a ball at a dunk tank to dunk a cartoon man into the tank. Where the ball hits is random (ie the users cannot control it), there're are more misses than hits, and when the user misses the man makes negative poor sportsmanship type comments such as "ha ha", "you missed" in a teasing tone. The kids who have trouble with pragmatics should be provided a positive role model as THIS is what we are trying to teach! Perhaps if the developers change this cartoon man's attitude, I will use the app with my son but there is no way I am going to teach him that poor sportsmanship is a reward!
Used to be great
I loved using this app for therapy but recently the videos stopped playing. Everything else works but the videos are stuck paused on the first image (so the choices won't display), rendering the app useless. This is so disappointing because there are so few affordable apps that target structured pragmatic goals this well. I used to complain that the acting in the videos was pretty cheesy but now I really want them back!
- Hamaguchi Apps for Speech, Language & Auditory Development
- 203.7 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Copyright 2013 Hamaguchi Apps, a division of Hamaguchi & Associates Pediatric Speech-Language Pathologists, Inc. All Rights Reserved
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.