Hamaguchi Apps for Speech, Language & Auditory Development presents this groundbreaking app for the iPad designed for older elementary students and up, who would benefit from practice interpreting vocal intonation, facial expressions, perspective-taking, body language, and idiomatic or slang expressions. Using real photographs, voices and short mini-video clips of a variety of social situations and expressions, this app provides a dynamic way to help learn and practice interpreting the messages that are “between the lines” and simply can’t be replicated with worksheets and static flashcards. Scenes for the body language activity include a shopping mall, kitchen, restaurant, park, bedroom, school, gym, birthday party and more.
*THIS IS NOT A SOCIAL SKILLS MODELING APP. Some people say and do things that are rude, such as interrupt a conversation, say something that is insensitive, lie, etc. That is why we suggest adult coaching to supervise and provide input regarding situational language use.
Check our demo on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRy4QF1E1Y8
This is Level 1, which presents content that is an introduction to our Between the Lines app series. This app uses American expressions and body language.
There are three activities in this app, with 204 tasks total:
1. Listening: The user hears a voice speak a sentence, e.g., “Ewww!” A question is then asked, “Who said it?” The user is shown a series of photographs and touches the correct one.
2. Body Language: A very short video-clip is shown that depicts an interaction or situation. For example, a family is shown at a restaurant. A friend walks up and says, “Hey, did you hear the news about Mr. Becker?” (smiling) The camera closes in on this woman and the narrator says, “What is she thinking?” The user’s task is to look at the choices of responses and select the one that matches the facial expression/body language.
3. Expressions: A very short video-clip is shown that depicts an actor speaking a sentence that contains an idiomatic or slang expression, e.g., “She’s kind of nosy.’” The user is then asked, “What does that mean?” There is a separate setting (a new feature!) that allows the user to select several slang/crude phrases to be incorporated if desired such as, "pissed off", "feel like crap" etc. (The default does not include these phrases. They must be specifically selected.)
The game can be played by up to 75 users or as a group. The percentage correct is reported for each user’s performance on each of the three activities. Individual users can select their own settings; the group must have the same setting selections for the entire group.
Progress can be tracked, and displayed or not. Reward animations are provided at selected intervals for a welcome fun and break including Dunk Tank, Bull’s Eye (darts), and Knock ‘Em Down. These are not games of skill but a fun diversion.
A perfect app for speech therapy and for children with social communication difficulties!
*Please contact our tech support if you are experiencing any technical issues with our apps. We cannot respond to reviews and there are generally easy solutions to every issue. email@example.com
Designed by Patti Hamaguchi, M.A., CCC-SLP, a licensed and ASHA-certified speech-language pathologist. Check out our other apps at www.hamaguchiapps.com
iOS 11 optimization
Ratings and Reviews
Disappointed. Only the videos have audible sound. Listen and figure out who said it activities? Absolutely silent. Yes, my volume button is turned on on my iPad. Must be a secret way of turning on sound for the half dozen Hamaguchi apps I bought yesterday :(
Dear No Sound, There is a very simple solution for your dilemma. Please turn OFF the mute button. Yes, that's what it is! The sound on the videos is contained in mp4 files and is not controlled by the mute button, same with animations. The sound for narration and single voice files is. That is why you are suddenly having trouble with all of these. Please know Apple would never approve an app with sound that doesn't work. Please check and re-rate our app after you have turned on the mute button. Thanks!
Between the Lines Level 1 HD is a wonderful app created to assist students struggling with social cues and nuances. Through true-to-life photo slides and video clips, the developer provides a tool for teachers, parents, and/or support staff assist in the execution of social skills learning goals. Data can be recorded and through this, the adult can see in which area the child is struggling most. Body language, voice intonations, and figures of speech are all explored! There is even an option for more colloquial phrases, should the adult which to implement them. One minor complaint I have is found within game mode. The child has no control over the aiming of the item used to throw and whist this may remove frustration for some children, it causes great frustration for others. I would recommend a control feature to allow an "on or off" for this area based on the individual needs of the child. Despite this, I find the app well worth it's weight in gold and certainly give it a glowing recommendation!
Thank you for providing such a quality app which is excellent for both classroom and community use! LSAppleby
Must have app for social language skills!
This app is a must have for working with kids on social language skills! It includes 3 activities that use videos and recordings of voices that allow you to practice interpreting tone of voice, body language, facial expressions and making inferences. You can change the difficulty of the app by setting the number of answer options shown (2, 3 or 4 answers).
There's choice of 3 reward games that can be set to appear after a certain amount of answers (choose from 1-10 answers) or the reward games can be disabled. Data is recorded for each student per session. Results can printed or emailed. There are no ads or in app purchases.
- Hamaguchi Apps for Speech, Language & Auditory Development
- 225.3 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Copyright 2012 Hamaguchi Apps, a division of Hamaguchi & Associates Pediatric Speech-Language Pathologists, Inc. All Rights Reserved
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.