Between the Lines Level 1 Lite
By Hamaguchi Apps for Speech, Language & Auditory Development
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Hamaguchi Apps for Speech, Language & Auditory Development presents a groundbreaking iPHONE app designed for elementary students and older, who would benefit from practice interpreting vocal intonation, facial expressions, perspective-taking, body language, and idiomatic or slang expressions. Using real photographs, voices and short mini-video clips of a variety of social situations and expressions, this app provides a dynamic way to help learn and practice interpreting messages that are “between the lines” and simply can’t be replicated with worksheets and static flashcards. Check out a demo of this app on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7uV5kMSjko&feature=plcp
This is Level 1 Lite, which presents content that is a perfect introduction to our Between the Lines app series. This lite app provides 12 samples of each of the three activities for a total of 36 tasks and is for a single user only.
This app uses American expressions and body language.
*THIS IS NOT A SOCIAL SKILLS MODELING APP. Some people say and do things that are rude, such as interrupt a conversation, say something that is insensitive, lie, etc. There is a phrase on the Lite version that some may find offensive in the slang activity: "that movie sucks". These are in a separate setting.
There are three activities in this app:
1. Listening: The user hears a voice speak a sentence, e.g., “Ewww!” A question is then asked, “Who said it?” The user is shown a series of photographs. Depending upon the settings selected, there can be 2, 3 or 4 choices shown. The user touches the correct facial expression that matches the voice.
2. Body Language: A very short video-clip is shown that depicts an interaction or situation. For example, a family is shown at a restaurant. A friend walks up and says, “Hey, did you hear the news about Mr. Becker?” (smiling) The camera closes in on this woman and the narrator says, “What is she thinking?” The user’s task is to look at the choices of responses and select the one that matches the facial expression/body language.
3. Expressions: A very short video-clip is shown that depicts an actor speaking a sentence that contains an idiomatic or slang expression, e.g., “She’s kind of nosy.’” The user is then asked, “What does that mean?”
The lite version is for a single user only. The percentage correct is reported for each user’s performance on each of the three activities. The user can select his/her own individual settings. Settings include: Selection of the activities, order of the activities (or random), praise phrases and correct sound effect bell on/off; answer choices (group of 2, 3 or 4), how to display choices (automatically or manually) and whether to move forward automatically or by touching an arrow. Progress can be tracked, and displayed or not displayed.
Reward animations are provided at selected intervals for a welcome fun and break. The lite version includes one game, Dunk Tank.
Developed by licensed and ASHA-certified speech-language pathologist and author, Patti Hamaguchi, M.A., CCC-SLP. To find out more about this app and our other upcoming projects, visit our website: www.hamaguchiapps.com
What's New in Version 1.2
Updates for iOS7 and Parental gate.
- Category: Education
- Updated: Nov 04, 2013
- Version: 1.2
- Size: 193 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Hamaguchi Apps for Speech, Language & Auditory Development
- © Copyright 2013 Hamaguchi Apps, a division of Hamaguchi & Associates Pediatric Speech-Language Pathologists, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.