By Feral Interactive Ltd
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
BioShock – one of the greatest games of all time is now on the Mac!
Before you buy, expand this description to check the system requirements below.
Welcome to Rapture. A city where opportunity awaits those brave enough to grasp it. A city where the artist need not fear the censor. Where the scientist is not bound by petty morality. Where the great are not held back by the weak.
Set in an alternate 1960, BioShock places you in the middle of an underwater utopia gone badly wrong. With a provocative and intelligent storyline, this is a game that is alternately beautiful, thrilling, funny, frightening and always involving. An experience that makes you think while you play.
Download and try the BioShock demo from our downloads area: downloads.feralinteractive.com
• Award-winning – BioShock has won numerous game of the year awards and features in Metacritic’s top 10 highest rated games of all time.
• Genre blender – Combines a clever mix of genres: First-person shooter with elements of role-playing and stealth.
• Superb visual style – An art deco world with advanced visual effects combine to create a creepy, immersive environment in which players can lose themselves.
• Sophisticated concept and story line – BioShock incorporates ideas about science and politics, raising profound questions about human nature, the role of government in society, and the morality of harming individuals for the greater good.
• Replayability – No two gamers will play BioShock the same way. Players are encouraged to explore all the nooks and crannies of Rapture.
• Exquisite sound design – Outstanding voice acting helps drive the narrative. Music from the 1940s and 1950s echoes through Rapture’s abandoned hallways.
Important information regarding BioShock:
• Please note that we cannot reply to comments or questions left in Mac App Store reviews. If you require assistance, please contact our support team at firstname.lastname@example.org
• BioShock does not support Intel GMA series graphics cards.
• In order to run the game with satisfactory performance, your Mac must meet these minimum system requirements: 1.4GHz CPU / 1.5GB RAM / 8GB Free Space / 128MB Graphics Card (not Intel GMA).
• This game is not currently supported on volumes formatted as Mac OS Extended (Case Sensitive).
• Full system requirements are available on the BioShock mini-site at feralinteractive.com/bioshock.
© 2002-2009 Take-Two Interactive Software and its subsidiaries. Developed by 2K Boston and 2K Australia. BioShock, 2K Games, the 2K logo, 2K Boston, the 2K Boston logo, 2K Australia, the 2K Australia logo and Take-Two Interactive Software are all trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. in the USA and/or foreign countries. All other marks and trademarks are the property of their respective owners. All rights reserved. Unreal® is a registered trademark of Epic Games, Inc. Unreal® Engine, Copyright 1998-2009, Epic Games, Inc. All rights reserved. Havok.com™ Middle-ware Physics System ©1999-2009 Telekinesys Research, Ltd. All rights reserved. See www.havok.com for more details. Mac and the Mac logo are trademarks of Apple Computer Inc. registered in the U.S. and other countries. Feral and the Feral logo are trademarks of Feral Interactive Ltd.
What's New in Version 1.1.1
• Improves stability.
• Adds support for additional game controllers.
• Fixes a number of minor issues.
Violent but thoughtful
I enjoyed this game mosty for its sense of humor, which might be an odd thing to say given the violence and innumerable deaths on the way to its completion. You might need to have read a few books by Ayn Rand to get the joke, but the story is a compelling one, rich in details, and original in scope. For me the downside was that the intellectual challenge is not great -- no tough puzzles to solve, really -- just lots of freaks to kill, to the point of tedium. The spider splicer is a good challenge once or twice, but when you find youself facing the 100th it's ho-hum. The controls mostly work on the keyboard but the final boss sequence, the escort sequence, and one other sequence have such rapidly shifting cameras that it's hard to find your way. It's probably easier for people used to first person shooters (not my favorite format, but I liked the premise of this game so I bought it), but I would have preferred a game with a bit more emphasis on tough puzzles and less on simply spraying everything with bullets. I also feel this would have aligned better with the game's literary sensibilities and rich story.
Great Overall Game
Game runs pretty well on my late 2010 MBP- 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, and NVIDIA GeForce 320m. There is some slowdown when there are 3 or more splicers in the vicinity, but I'm on the low end of the specs for video card so it's not too surprising. If you've never played BioShock before, I highly reccommend this game. First playthrough I would give it a solid 9/10. However, I find the replayability to be low as I really took my time with the game- searching through all of the levels for all weapon upgrades, tonics, plasmids, safes, etc. I find the game becomes tedious on the second playthrough- all the Plasmids and unique abilities in the world can't compensate for the formulaic "Arrive at level, go find certain items, defeat all the Big Daddies, go to next level, repeat." On the subsequent playthroughs, the game really just feels like a mediocre FPS treasure hunt with a shiny coating. I know that seems pretty negative, but I do recommend buying the game at the current price as the first playthrough is well worth it.
Worth every penny
Before I got this game I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I've never played a Bioshock game before (until I purchased it on here obviously), but after hearing many positive reviews and the reviews that are already on this page I decided to take a risk and buy it. I remember thinking that $20 is a little pricy compared to what I usually get on here, but after playing the first 10 minutes of this game I was hooked. The gameplay, the soundtrack, the environments and the atmosphere of the game is just incredible (there is sometimes lag when the graphics are too high but the game never freezed at all). If you're only just thinking about buying this game then take my advice: get it. This game is easily one of the best games that I have ever played.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Apr 19, 2012
- Version: 1.1.1
- Size: 7.25 GB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish
- Seller: Feral Interactive Ltd
- © 2002-2009 Take-Two Interactive Software and its subsidiaries. Developed by 2K Boston and 2K Australia. Feral and the Feral logo are trademarks of Feral Interactive Ltd.
Compatibility: OS X 10.6.4 or later