Birch is the #1 finance app that simplifies credit card rewards and keeps track of your spending.
The average shopper can earn up to $700 worth of rewards each year, just by using a reward earning credit card and paying off the balance each month. Birch analyzes your spending and shows you which cards in your wallet to use on every purchase.
New to credit cards?
Birch recommends the best cards for your spending habits so you can start earning rewards.
Already have multiple cards?
Stop trying to memorize all the different ways to earn and redeem rewards and let Birch show you how to optimize the cards in your wallet.
Using Birch is easy—here's how it works:
- Securely sync your credit and debit accounts by simply logging in with your bank's username and password.
- Tell Birch what rewards you like. From flights to hotels to cash back, Birch automatically weeds out cards that don't match your preferences and only recommends cards that fit with your personal spending habits.
- See the real value of rewards. Birch tracks millions of data points and shows points and miles as a dollar value.
- Figure out how you can spend better. Birch looks at your past spending to see when you missed out on rewards by using the wrong cards in your wallet. (The average Birch user earns an additional $200 a year in rewards!)
- Always know what card to use. Birch recommends the best card in your wallet to earn rewards at places nearby along with an up to date list of your active bonus categories.
- See where your money is going and spend smarter. Birch tracks spending across all of your accounts to show you spending trends and actionable insights. (You'll never guess how much you spend a month on burritos...)
- See how your monthly payments stack up. Birch also automatically tracks over 700 monthly subscriptions. From the WSJ to Netflix, you'll never forget about a monthly payment.
Fixes a crashing issue that was affecting FaceID users
Ratings and Reviews
I can see how this might be useful, but so far it hasn’t really been useful for me because the categories do not accurately reflect my purchases. For example, the app categorized my rent payment as “home improvement” (gee I wish I could spend $940 a month on home improvement) and then told me I was missing out on cash returns. Except for the fact that I specifically transfer my rent directly from my bank account to avoid the $15 fee for using a credit or debit card, which is probably more than any potential cash back I might earn and which I’m pretty sure I really wouldn’t since it’s not home improvement or anything reward eligible. This happens for other transactions too; many are too vague to be sure I could actually have earned rewards. I realize it would be asking a lot to expect the app to take this sort of thing into account, I’m just expressing why it’s not that useful for me, and as a suggestion, maybe have an option to exclude certain categories/transactions from your score?
Developer Response ,
A couple of quick things:
1 - You can definitely change the category for purchases. We're reliant on what the banks send us back and so sometimes the categorization gets goofed up in the process
2 - If you sign in to your account on web you can choose to not include certain purchases in reward calculations, like this rent payment, for example. We're adding the option on the iOS app soon.
Please send us a chat in app if you have any issues!
Getting Better Everyday
First off this team is great to work with and provides the customer service of a high end car dealership on a daily basis even though they are not charging for the app. While the app as a few shortcomings right now there seems to be a new update every week making the tool more powerful and useful. At the end of the day this is a game changer for credit card rewards and gives visibility to money left on the table which can change your behavior in a manner to benefit your financial future. 1-2% cash back may not seem like a big deal but over a 30 year period it can add up to retirement a year earlier so be sure to use this program to help you get there.
Fantastic idea, needs a LOT of work
After 3+ months of use, I’m changing my review. This app has lots of potential, but right now it is pretty much useless for me. There are so many errors in tracking spending and determining which card should be used in each category.
I have 5 credit cards and I thought this app would be helpful for tracking cashback/points and making sure I used the right cards for the right things. When I had only 3 cards it seemed to be okay. But now I’ve realized it has tons of categories wrong. It even counts my payments to my credit card as spending on top of the money I’ve already spent with those cards. And sometimes it’ll say I used my debit card for that transaction which makes no sense.
Several times the app will put common restaurants or grocery stores in RANDOM categories that make no sense. And then it tells me I missed out on rewards for not using a different card. I would honestly be okay with this if I could manually change the rewards category of the transaction but there’s no way to do so. I can select a different category, but that doesn’t reflect my spending or update future purchases.
I really used to like this app before I noticed all the issues. PLEASE UPDATE.
Developer Response ,
We're really sorry for the negative experience you've had with the app in the last few months. The last thing we want to do is be miscalculating and miscategorizing purchases and making wrong recommendations.
Would you mind sending us a chat in-app? We'd love to get some more details on the issues you're having and work to resolve them. We don't want any of these happening to you or any of our other users as well.
- Birch Finance, LLC
- 106.8 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2017 Birch Finance, LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.