By Tom Lauwers
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
The BirdBlox app allows you to program your Hummingbird Duo via a Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) connection! The app was inspired by the Snap! and Scratch programming environments. In addition to common Scratch-type blocks for creating programs, BirdBlox adds blocks to control your Hummingbird's LEDs and motors, record and playback sounds, and to read from Hummingbird and tablet-based sensors (such as accelerometers or compasses).
With BirdBlox and Hummingbird, you can create projects such as:
* A robot car that drives based on how you tilt your tablet
* A dog that barks when you are near
* A music box that plays different pre-recorded songs from your tablet
* A project that uses multiple Hummingbird kits
The only limit is your imagination!
* You must purchase a Bluetooth adapter for your Hummingbird Duo, available at store.birdbraintechnologies.com/product-p/hb_ble.htm
* Make sure to load the Bluetooth-ready firmware onto your Hummingbird. Follow the instructions at our BirdBlox tutorial to do so: www.hummingbirdkit.com/learning/birdblox
* This app only works with iOS 9 and later.
* BLE was not present on the original iPad or iPad 2. iPad 3 and later, as well as all iPad Mini, Air, and Pro, will work.
If you would like to see additional features, please let us know!
What's New in Version 1.2
Major update with many new features!
* Integration with cloud services to save programs to the cloud
* Auto saving of programs - never lose your work
* Sound recording and playback
* UI improvements: zooming, panning, and entering data
* Standardized naming scheme for Hummingbirds
* Ability to connect and program multiple Hummingbirds