BirdsEye North America
By Birds In The Hand, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
See more birds with BirdsEye North America!
"Best invention for birding since binoculars"... Kenn Kaufman, author of the famed Kaufman Field Guides to Birds of North America
"A landmark in birding"… John Fitzpatrick, Director, Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology
This is the New BirdsEye, and contains many valuable features not available in the original.
BirdsEye NA is a simple but powerful tool for birders:
• Get an instant list of birds reported recently nearby or at any of thousands of birding hotspots across the world!
• BAR CHARTS of seasonal abundance for each bird
• See a list of “needs” - species recently reported nearby that aren't on your life or year list
• Reports of rare and notable birds your area
• Automatically sync your life or year lists with eBird for the ABA area, world, country, state or even county!
• Import your year and life lists for any region from eBird
• Support for bird names in several languages
MEMBERSHIP: THANK YOU for supporting our ongoing efforts to create the most innovative bird apps for serious birders. Your purchase of this app helps pay for our ongoing efforts to create the most innovative and powerful birding apps in the world.
Our app sales are not enough to pay for developing, maintaining and improving an app like BirdsEye. We also rely on generous support from our users who choose to contribute to our ongoing efforts by purchasing a BirdsEye Membership. Here is how it works.
- You can become a member by going to Settings -> Membership and selecting a membership option. We offer two levels: $4.99/month and $9.99/month.
- The membership automatically renews monthly until you cancel it.
- After purchase, you cannot cancel the current month; your cancelation will start the next month.
- The first monthly payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at the time you confirm your purchase.
- Your iTunes account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of each monthly renewal period.
- You can cancel your subscription through your iTunes Account Settings by following these instructions: http://www.birdseyebirding.com/index.php/help/faqs#Cancel_Membership
- All features of the app are available to both members and non-members. At some point certain features may only be available to members.
We are committed to supporting the birding community and bird conservation through the eBird project. We think they’re worth it—now and for the future of birds and their habitats.
MORE ON BIRDSEYE:
BirdsEye uses your device's GPS to display all recent sightings near your current spot out to any distance you select from 1 to 50 miles (or km).
Looking for a specific bird? Search for birds by name (or code) to find out where it has been seen recently, and show you the exact location on a map.
BirdsEye NA provides essential distribution, behavior and habitat text from Kenn Kaufman to help you find the bird once you get to the right spot. Stunning and detailed photographs from many top birders, bird photographers and guides will help remind you of the field marks you're looking for.
If you use eBird, you can import your eBird year or life lists for the whole world, the ABA area, a country, a single State/Province or even your county! You can also manually enter your life list or edit the list imported from eBird. Your lists are automatically backed up online.
BirdsEye is optimized for display on your iPhone and your iPod Touch, and also works as an iPhone app on iPad.
What's New in Version 1.7
• Set your favorite birding locations so you can quickly see the birds being seen in that area
• Great for trip planning as you can keep tabs on sighitngs in distant locations
I'm still learning how to use this app. I delayed purchasing for a long time because it had so many negative reviews. Most of what folks complained about seems to have been resolved. It is a very handy tool when I'm traveling to target where I might be able to see the most new birds. I had been using BIRDTRAX on igoogle to basically do the same thing. This app keeps me from having to create webpages along vacation routes - so for me it is super convenient and time saving. I especially like how it extends to all of North America - so I can dream of trips to Hawaii, Mexico or even Panama. So far I haven't had any major issues or frustrations. I only gave it a four as it has some not so intuitive settings that make a big difference when you're search an area for new birds.
Love eBird and birds eye
I also echo the critiques in the review by Dandrodica below. However, this (and it's predecessor app) is a great tool for seeking out bird reports for a given hotspot or region. I like that it's now integrated into your eBird account if desired, and that you can read a person's checklist when browsing through notable bird sightings.
This app (and it's predecessor) have been instrumental in helping me transition from a beginning birder to a somewhat intermediates skilled birder. By having a list of nearby birds, I can narrow down IDs of birds with which I'm not familiar.
Also Ditto to Dendroica
That review was spot on to my experience. In fact, shortly after installing this version I actually went back and reinstalled Version 1.61 so I could actually easily look for birds in locations other than the one I was at. I have also had spotty results, with the app showing birds to be within a few miles of me, when in fact the hotspots being reported were several hundred miles away. If the developers will reincorporate the features that worked so nicely in version 1.61 with regards to setting location and hotspots this would be the killer bird finding app.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Jan 03, 2014
- Version: 1.7
- Size: 4.8 MB
- Languages: English, Spanish
- Seller: Birds in the Hand, LLC
- © Birds in the Hand, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- BirdsEye Membership$4.99
- BirdsEye Supporting Membership$9.99