By NatureSound Studio
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
BirdTunes provides bird enthusiasts with rapid, uncluttered access to a comprehensive collection of North American bird songs and calls.
The BirdTunes sound collection offers:
• Encyclopedic coverage, including over 2400 tracks for 674 species—over 10 hours of high fidelity sound.
• Emphasis on the sound repertoire of each species—including not just the primary song or call for many species, but also lesser-known songs and calls.
• Recordings drawn from the collections of prominent field recordists including Lang Elliott, Kevin Colver, Martyn Stewart, Bob McGuire, Ted Mack, and Wil Hershberger.
The BirdTunes application also offers:
• An attractive waveform display that shows progress as the current track plays.
• Four playback modes, including modes for playing or repeating either a single track or all of the tracks for a species.
• A gorgeous photo of each species, from the collections of well-known bird photographers including Brian Small, Lang Elliott, Mike Danzenbaker, and Marie Read.
• A search facility that lets you rapidly find a species by any part or parts of its name.
• A customizable list of favorite species for quick access.
• A list of the twenty most recently accessed species.
If you use BirdTunes in the field, please do so responsibly. We recommend the American Birding Association’s Code of Ethics (http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html), particularly section 1(b), for guidance.
BirdTunes was created by Harold Mills and Lang Elliott.
What's New in Version 1.1.0
• An improved user interface that takes advantage of the taller screens of more recent iPhone and iPod touch models.
• Multitasking support that allows you to more quickly switch between BirdTunes and other apps.
• Sharper waveform images that portray sounds in more detail.
• More flexible searches. Separate words of the search string now match portions of species names in any order, rather than in sequence. It is no longer necessary to include apostrophes in search strings, and you can type spaces instead of dashes.
• Scientific name searches. Prefixing a search string with "s " (that is, the "s" character followed by a space) searches by scientific name rather than common name.
• Spoken searches (iOS 6 and up only). When connected to the internet, you can now specify search strings by speaking! Just tap the microphone button on the keyboard to begin.
The BEST bird sounds
BirdTunes is the best and most complete bird sounds app. Period. It's a must have for all birders.
There are several other app bird guides which promote themselves as having bird sounds and calls but none come close to BirdTunes' complete selection of recordings of bird calls, noises, and songs for each bird species. BirdTunes' clarity and quality of the recordings is also unmatched. They'll quickly get the bird's attention and make it appear if not attract the bird right to you.
I had to contact the author about something and they replied very quickly and went above and beyond to help me with my issue, greatly exceeding all my expectations. I'd give them 6 stars if iTunes would let me!
The best produced app I have bought
I have wasted so much money on apps which have been almost immediately consigned to the virtual “attic”. I do not know why I have never thought to look for the existence of an app covering this subject and came across it quite by chance. The quality of both the interface and, more importantly, the sound quality is way beyond my expectation. If the work which has gone into developing the app wasn’t impressive enough, the collation of such a comprehensive collection of bird song is extraordinary. No question that it is the best $10 I have ever spent on my phone.
If you are looking for a simple, elegant, comprehensive North American bird song library, then look no further, this is it! Quick and easy to use at home or in the field. Search or browse alphabetically or taxonomically. Set songs to repeat. This app was designed by the great bird recordist, Lang Elliot, for birders. It really shows. Highly recommended.
Only drawback to me is that the app must be open to play the songs. With the regular music app, you can click off your phone to save battery and playback continues. With this app, playback stops, using up
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Nov 24, 2012
- Version: 1.1.0
- Size: 313 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Lang Elliott
- © 2010-2012 Lang Elliott
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.