Birdwatcher's Diary™ is the perfect field companion for birders in any part of the world! In seconds you can record the birds you see or hear with time and exact location automatically recorded, and add additional field notes. From the field you can upload your sightings, complete with a map showing the location of each sighting, to eBird, Facebook, Twitter, a birding listserv, Dropbox, or email it to yourself or others. Birdwatcher's Diary is designed to be useful for your "big day" efforts, Christmas Bird Counts, and for your everyday birding outings alike. Fast and easy to use yet packed with advanced features, Birdwatcher's Diary will enrich your birding experience.
SAMPLE USER COMMENTS:
"I use this awesome iPhone app nearly every day and upload my sightings to eBird." – Fred Crotte
"I find it basically effortless to use in the field and love it. It is also great to directly send a report to your local listserv from the app, which allows for your comments, list, and a link to the Google map. Very cool." – John A.
"BWD is the most powerful listing app I've used. The filtering capabilities seem especially well-suited to bird surveys and big days." – The Birders Library
"We did a Big Day –I used the app to keep track through 5 different locations –it worked great right through uploading to eBird. Love it!"– Lois S.
"BWD had been indispensable while scouting for our upcoming Birdathon. I'll use it during the event and then provide a map to our sponsors and donors to show them our route with each species' location seen. They love that!" – Laurie F.
"I find Birdwatcher’s Diary easy to use and frankly fun. You will enjoy using this app and seeing not only your lists, but also the sightings maps." – Nancy J.
The staff of SCS are longtime birders active in bird conservation advocacy. We support bird conservation, education and research organizations.
• One tap records a species with exact location & time. Further taps increase the count. Built-in calculator for large increments
• Intelliscroll™ switches from 1- to 2- and 3-letter alphabet tabs for superfast scrolling
• Conventional search by first name, last name, Latin name, or bird-banding code
• Upload your sightings to eBird directly from the app
• Can mark sightings as "heard only"
• Built-in, user-configurable phrase list – tap, don’t type, your notes
• Quickly switch between viewing all birds, sighted only, or not seen yet
• Save and recall daily sightings directly on the iOS device, as well as in the "cloud" with Dropbox™
• Create life lists or filter by criteria: country, state, county, location, date and more
• Import your existing eBird sightings
• View sightings map on the device, or upload the information and create your own custom Google Map to view from a desktop
• Preconfigured with U.S., U.K., and Mexican bird lists. Many country and 50 state lists available for easy download; others on request
• Lists include standard English and scientific names as well as local names (Spanish, French, etc.) as appropriate
• Easily create your own custom lists like target species for your birdathon, county CBC list, etc.
• By installing (or simply entering) new lists, software can be used for sightings of anything - butterflies, reptiles, mammals, etc.
• Built-in tool for updating checklists and archives of past sightings for renames, splits, and lumps
• Include your own bird photos!
• Full support for Bluetooth keyboards
View a video demo, screen shots, user manual, additional checklists available, and more at www.stevenscreek.com/birdwatchersdiary.htm
Updated for compatibility with changes to the eBird website; direct upload to eBird restored.
Ratings and Reviews
Useful in many ways.
have used Birdwatcher’s diary for several years in the USA, Mexico, and South America. It is a wonderful program that greatly enhances the enjoyment of birding. It is easy to use in the field and at home in collating data. It provides a useful format for historical records, whether for personal use or for uploading to eBird. The Stevens Creek Software team is highly responsive to inquiries and in providing app updates when necessary.
No Life List
Purchased this app so I could add more to Birding trip reports. Took awhile to get comfortable with it. Today I tried to Download my eBird life list. Followed all the steps set it to read from Dropbox after 4 hours. It finally stopped and guess what nothing added. Going to continue using eBird what a waste of money. Anyone know how to get a refund.
Best birding list out there
Updated review: I've been using this app for 3 years now, and I wouldn't even consider using another bird listing app. My paper notebook is entirely gone. Spot a bird, tap it on the list, enter the number, and you're done. Exact time and GPS coordinates are automatically recorded. It has a myriad of options to customize your experience and speed data entry. It also includes very rich query and reporting features, and (now) supports direct upload to eBird from within the app.
One word of warning, it does take a llittle bit of practice to do the initial setup and get the hang of the UI. Absolutely spend an hour to read the user guide on-line, watch the tutorials, and try it for a few trial runs to get the settings right and get the hang of it. If you don't do this, you'll delete the app in frustration the first time you try to use it. But once you're up and going you'll never go back.
One last note, customer support is very responsive (can't say the same for some competing apps). Problems or suggestions are promptly addressed - and that's worth a lot.
- Stevens Creek Software LLC
- 25.9 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2010-8 Stevens Creek Software
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.