By Stevens Creek Software
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Birdwatcher's Diary™ is the perfect field companion for birders in any part of the world! In seconds you can record the birds you see or hear with time and exact location automatically recorded, and add additional field notes. From the field you can upload your sightings, complete with a map showing the location of each sighting, to eBird, Facebook, Twitter, a birding listserv, Dropbox, or email it to yourself or others. Birdwatcher's Diary is designed to be useful for your "big day" efforts, Christmas Bird Counts, and for your everyday birding outings alike. Fast and easy to use yet packed with advanced features, Birdwatcher's Diary will enrich your birding experience.
SAMPLE USER COMMENTS:
"I use this awesome iPhone app nearly every day and upload my sightings to eBird." – Fred Crotte
"I find it basically effortless to use in the field and love it. It is also great to directly send a report to your local listserv from the app, which allows for your comments, list, and a link to the Google map. Very cool." – John A.
"BWD is the most powerful listing app I've used. The filtering capabilities seem especially well-suited to bird surveys and big days." – The Birders Library
"We did a Big Day –I used the app to keep track through 5 different locations –it worked great right through uploading to eBird. Love it!"– Lois S.
"BWD had been indispensable while scouting for our upcoming Birdathon. I'll use it during the event and then provide a map to our sponsors and donors to show them our route with each species' location seen. They love that!" – Laurie F.
"I find Birdwatcher’s Diary easy to use and frankly fun. You will enjoy using this app and seeing not only your lists, but also the sightings maps." – Nancy J.
The staff of SCS are longtime birders active in bird conservation advocacy. We donate 50% of the proceeds to bird conservation, education and research organizations. Since its introduction in June, 2010, we have donated thousands of dollars to worthy groups helping to preserve and improve wildlife habitat.
• One tap records a species with exact location & time. Further taps increase the count. Built-in calculator for large increments
• Intelliscroll™ switches from 1- to 2- and 3-letter alphabet tabs for superfast scrolling
• Conventional search by first name, last name, Latin name, or bird-banding code
• Upload your sightings to eBird directly from the app
• Can mark sightings as "heard only"
• Built-in, user-configurable phrase list – tap, don’t type, your notes
• Quickly switch between viewing all birds, sighted only, or not seen yet
• Save and recall daily sightings directly on the iOS device, as well as in the "cloud" with Dropbox™
• Create life lists or filter by criteria: country, state, county, location, date and more
• Import your existing eBird sightings
• View sightings map on the device, or upload the information and create your own custom Google Map to view from a desktop
• Preconfigured with U.S., U.K., and Mexican bird lists. Many country and 50 state lists available for easy download; others on request
• Lists include standard English and scientific names as well as local names (Spanish, French, etc.) as appropriate
• Easily create your own custom lists like target species for your birdathon, county CBC list, etc.
• By installing (or simply entering) new lists, software can be used for sightings of anything - butterflies, reptiles, mammals, etc.
• Built-in tool for updating checklists and archives of past sightings for renames, splits, and lumps
• Include your own bird photos!
• Full support for Bluetooth keyboards
View a video demo, screen shots, user manual, additional checklists available, and more at www.stevenscreek.com/birdwatchersdiary.htm
What's New in Version 7.1
o Direct upload of sightings to eBird is functioning again, following some changes on the eBird site which temporarily disabled this functionality
o Posting of sightings to Facebook is now functioning again.
The Best Bird Listing Program for iOS!
I own several bird listing software Apps for iOS, but Birdwatcher's Diary remains my top choice (I don't even bother with the other programs any more). I rely on it for recording observations nearly every day, and submitting them to eBird.
I really like the fact that Birdwatcher's Diary grabs very exact Lat/Long coordinates for each species sighting (I'm using a Bluetooth GPS linked to my iPod). This is probably my favorite feature; after a birding trip, it's great to be able to instantly bring up a map of the area showing exactly where I've seen each bird!
I also like the ability to easily switch Master Checklists for out-of-state trips, and the ability to customize my Checklists to include eBird "Spuhs" (i.e. "Empidonax sp.", etc.).
The Birdwatcher's Diary interface allows for quick entry and works great. Because the program is so flexible and complex, it takes a bit more study to fully master than some of the other Apps out there. However, nothing else can match it's feature set, which makes the effort well worthwhile. Plus, the support from Stevens Creek is top notch - they've consistently improved the eBird upload interface (which is vital to me) and other features of the program.
After nearly three years of daily use, Birdwatcher's Diary continues to be the most utilized App on my iPod. I can't image going birding without it!
- Category: Lifestyle
- Updated: Aug 18, 2015
- Version: 7.1
- Size: 4.1 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Stevens Creek Software LLC
- © 2010-5 Stevens Creek Software
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.