Bitdefender Virus Scanner
By Bitdefender SRL
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Essential security for your Mac!
Bitdefender Virus Scanner finds Mac malware as well as Windows viruses with ease. Virus Scanner will detect any infected files that you downloaded or got in your inbox, so your Mac will be safe and you won’t pass anything bad to your friends’ computer.
Grant Bitdefender Virus Scanner access to the locations on your computer that you want to scan against malware. Choose ‘Deep System Scan’ or ‘Scan Critical Locations’ to scan. The award-winning Bitdefender engines will find that piece of malware. For free!
Make sure your Mac is free of infected files. Don't put your friends and family at risk by unknowingly passing along malware.
- Detects both OS X malware and Windows viruses;
- Before a scan, it updates to detect the latest malware;
- Searches for malware even in archives and inside various types of files such as pdf, pkg, zip, rar, etc.;
- Critical locations scan - rapidly scans system areas that are prone to infections.
- Award-winning Bitdefender antivirus engines;
- Quarantines dangerous files;
- Deep system scan for all the locations the user has granted access to;
- Drag-and-drop scan of files or folders;
- Option to exclude files and folders from scan (i.e. Time Machine backups, etc.)
- Easy-to-use interface.
- Due to sandboxing in the App Store, the app has access only to the locations that the user has explicitly granted access to. Grant access to the entire disk for increased protection;
- Disinfection limited by the privileges of the user running the app;
- Doesn’t scan programs stored in memory.
What's New in Version 3.6
Plus all the great fixes from the previous version:
* better memory management
* improvement: added the option to restore from quarantine in a new location if the original path is no longer available
* 64bit application support
* performance improvements
An Awful Tedious Process of Updating - But Great Customer Support
Once I updated to the newest version of the operating system for my macbook, Bitdefender quietly disappeared. I noticed that it was gone a week or two later and contacted tech support. The software even disappears if you pay to renew. Downloading the new version is truly miserable as your password for the main website won’t work for the download site. Just complete mysery dealing with the clunky awful update process.
Update the customer support people talked me through the process and it all went well eventually.
The software works well on the whole.
Worked like a charm!
Used this in conjunction with googling how to remove the harder ones…and I was able to remove every last malware/adware without destroying my computer! I recommend this for any and everyone as this app does exactly what it says…it works so great that it even checked for malware/adware on my external hard drive and in my mac email and deleted them. Great app!!!! Thanks...
The app works well and there were no major hassles.
Its user interface conforms to Apple standard UI. So, this gave a more polished user experience.
I ran a deep scan. Bitdefender did find some windows viruses in some old email attachments on my computer. I deleted them and rebooted. Ran the check again after deleting old attachments and no problems detected. The program did a variety of actions to quarenteen questionable files found and provided easy access to the location of suspect files in the finder.
Appears to work. The program downloaded the latest virus definitions without a problem.
Giving app 5 stars. Not a pumper.