Bitdefender Virus Scanner
By Bitdefender SRL
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Essential security for your Mac!
Bitdefender Virus Scanner finds Mac malware as well as Windows viruses with ease. Virus Scanner will detect any infected files that you downloaded or got in your inbox, so your Mac will be safe and you won’t pass anything bad to your friends’ computer.
Grant Bitdefender Virus Scanner access to the locations on your computer that you want to scan against malware. Choose ‘Deep System Scan’ or ‘Scan Critical Locations’ to scan. The award-winning Bitdefender engines will find that piece of malware. For free!
Make sure your Mac is free of infected files. Don't put your friends and family at risk by unknowingly passing along malware.
- Detects both OS X malware and Windows viruses;
- Before a scan, it updates to detect the latest malware;
- Searches for malware even in archives and inside various types of files such as pdf, pkg, zip, rar, etc.;
- Critical locations scan - rapidly scans system areas that are prone to infections.
- Award-winning Bitdefender antivirus engines;
- Quarantines dangerous files;
- Deep system scan for all the locations the user has granted access to;
- Drag-and-drop scan of files or folders;
- Option to exclude files and folders from scan (i.e. Time Machine backups, etc.)
- Easy-to-use interface.
- Due to sandboxing in the App Store, the app has access only to the locations that the user has explicitly granted access to. Grant access to the entire disk for increased protection;
- Disinfection limited by the privileges of the user running the app;
- Doesn’t scan programs stored in memory.
What's New in Version 3.5
Plus all the great fixes from the previous version:
* better memory management
* improvement: restore from quarantine in a new location if the original path is no longer available
* 64bit application support
* performance improvements
Not sure how I feel about this app.
Pros - This app will detect viruses, trojans and adware. It will delete a number of them, what it cannot delete it will try to place in quarantine. Downloaded free from the app store.
Cons - It isn’t able to delete all the bad stuff, nor even able to quarantine all of what’s left over. It affects how you can obtain information on the web, it pops up a window telling you that it’s dedecting adware, and you have to quit and relaunch your browser - in some instances there are places you no longer can access, such as wikipedia. It does a great job of suppressing pop-up ads, except it's own, which constantly pops up. It does not have itself, built in, an ability to delete adware. It tells you to download a free app for that, however that app, once downloaded tells you that there is no adware on your computer - but it does let you know about other products you may purchase. What really burns me it that it constantly is telling me that my PC is running slow because there may be malware or adware on it - but I have an iMac, not a PC.
Summary - This app will work, it seems to be powerful, but it’s a real pain in the you know where to deal with.
I use it and check malware every few days. I never go to websites I am not familar with, and hover over websites links even if I know the name to make sure it is the real website, not a phony. This is probably why i have never had a malware found on my computer in two years, but knowing bitdefender is one of the top 3 on the market today, i find it an excellent safe guard on my macbook pro. apple will tell you macs are safe without any antivirus protection, but i feel much safer having a secondary program even with the bias statement from apple. I recommend it to everyone. i don’t use the paid version only the free, so I must manually check it every few days myself, but that is sufficient for my needs on an apple product. On a windows product I would purchase a full version, but my isp gives out a free version of a different product to customers, else i would use the full bitdefender paid version. Excellent rating 5 stars for an apple product. Can’t rate it on windows though, sorry.
it worked for me
ive had a issue for a long time now, i couldnt click on anything on the internet without getting a pop up or a new window opening, taking me to a “ buy this” page. i downloaded bit defender, ran a scan, and it said i had a virus. while running the scan bitdefender has a button to download bitdefenders virus removal tool for free. i was a little annoyed by this at first, not sure why you wouldnt include the removal with the scanner, but either way my computer works just fine now. and the remvoal tool took longer to downlaod than it did to remvoe the Vsearch virus, took all of 2 min to download :) all in all it did the job no more pop ups so i have no reason to complain, i’d have no problem recomending this to someone