Black's Law Dictionary, 10th Edition
By Thomson Reuters
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
For more than a century, Black’s Law Dictionary® has been the gold standard for the language of law. Today, it’s the most widely cited law book in the world. By Editor in Chief Bryan A. Garner, the 10th Edition is the most comprehensive law dictionary ever published. It contains more than 50,000 terms, including more than 16,000 new definitions.
• More than 50,000 terms, including 7,500 more terms than the 9th Edition
• More than twice as many sources quoted and cited than the 9th Edition
• Earliest usage dates in English-language contexts provided for nearly all terms – the only legal dictionary with this feature
• More than 1,000 definitions of law-related abbreviations and acronyms
• Trusted authority – every term has been reviewed for accuracy by nearly 300 attorneys from across the country
• Pronunciation guidance, including audio pronunciations for over 7,000 terms
• Thoroughly reviewed and edited Latin maxims, with 900 new maxims added
New in the 10th Edition
• “Did You Mean” search functionality
o spell checker functionality provides alternative suggestions for misspelled search terms
• Define in Black’s
o define words within definition text by selecting a word and tapping Define in Black’s
• Enhanced linking
o link to subentries and cross-references from a search result, within a definition, and between definitions
o link to Westlaw® content via the WestlawNext® iPad® app
• Word of the Day
o audio pronunciation available on all Word of the Day entries
o link to full definition from Word of the Day tab
o history slider on Word of the Day tab provides quick navigation to previous Word of the Day entries
o track viewed definitions and sort by date or alphabetical order
• Intuitive structure, formatted for easy reading and navigation
What's New in Version 1.2
- iOS 10 Compatibility
- General enhancements and bug fixes
Good Try, But...
So what you have here is simple enough- a digital version of the already indispensable Black's Law Dictionary. Functions with ease- searches are a snap, and often feature links to related or alternative terms. The pronunciation guide is exceptionally useful.
All said and done, you've got a near five star app that's missing a few features- unfortunately most of them are rather severe oversights for a professional, especially considering this app comes with a $55 price tag.
• The app possesses absolutely no ability to adjust brightness in app. In darker settings, this app is blindingly white. Most reading oriented apps (Kindle, Nook, iBooks) have long since included such a feature.
• Physical page numbers for definitions, while not necessary, would be extremely useful for citation.
• One piece of extremely crucial information that is omitted from the Black's Law Dictionary product line as a whole, but which could have easily been implemented here is which volume of Black's a given definition originates from.
• The app doesn't synch bookmarks and history across devices. Not the most pressing issue, but it would have been helpful.
• On a side note, the app icon is atrocious.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Oct 13, 2016
- Version: 1.2
- Size: 126 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Thomson Reuters
- © Thomson Reuters Legal
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.