Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
BlindSquare makes you sense what's around you. The only thing you need to do is listen.
BlindSquare is a new solution that combines the latest technology to help the blind with their daily lives. It has been developed in collaboration with blind people and carefully field tested. You need either an iPhone or an iPad to get started. It also supports some additional accessories to enhance the experience.
How does it work?
BlindSquare uses GPS and the compass to locate you. It then gathers information about the surrounding environment from FourSquare. BlindSquare has some unique algorithms to decide what information is the most relevant and then speaks it to you with high quality speech synthesis.
“What's the most popular café within 200 meters radius? Where is the post office or the library?”
Using BlindSquare as a GPS solution:
When you start the app, it will start telling you the interesting places and street crossings around you. By changing the radius, you can limit the area you are interested in. You can also search by search term or by category. You can select an interesting place from the search results and perform the following tasks:
1) Get contact info (address, phone number)
2) Open twitter feed or restaurant menu (if provided)
3) Make a phone call
4) Start tracking the place (BlindSquare will assist you by repeating the distance and the clock face direction)
5) Start your favourite navigator for turn-by-turn instructions (TomTom, Navigon or Apple Maps)
BlindSquare is aware of when you travel by car, bus or train and starts to report interesting places in front of you (for example, the next stops) and street crossings when you are passing them.
You can also save your own private places to iCloud so they will be found with your every device.
Using BlindSquare as a FourSquare client:
If you like to play FourSquare, you can do the following with BlindSquare:
1) Get a list of nearby FourSquare venues
2) When you are in a place, you can check in by shaking your device
3) Do a check in with commenting and twitter/facebook sharing
4) Correct the location of the place
BlindSquare supports the following languages: English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Dutch, Finnish, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Czech, Russian, Estonian, Polish, Arabic and Hungarian. VoiceOver usage is supported but it also includes higher quality additional speech synthesis by Acapela Text-To-Speech from Acapela Group.
Instructions in English: http://help.blindsquare.com and http://blindsquare.com/faq
Please note: This app retrieves data in real time from Foursquare and Open Street Map. Use of a flat rate data plan is highly recommended.
Having only been released in May 2012, BlindSquare has already received several prizes and awards:
- GSMA: Global Mobile Awards 2013, Best Mobile Health Product or Service
- Apps4Finland 2012
- OpenCities App Challenge 2012
- The Finnish Information Processing Association: Best Product 2012
Please note: To use BlindSquare, your iCloud account has to be active so BlindSquare can access it to save your settings and places
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
What's New in Version 1.63
- BugFix: Version 1.62 crashed with certain US street names
- Foursquare check-in announcement issue fixed
- You can now use Fleksy to add places to your My Places list and to write check-in comments and Foursquare tips.
- You can now select one of three intersection announcement distances in the BlindSquare settings. If the default medium setting of this option doesn't work for you, try using the Long setting if streets in your area are wide, or the Short setting if streets are very narrow.
- When you perform a check-in, BlindSquare will now automatically read a tip for the place you have checked in to if one is available.
- You can now listen to all of the sounds BlindSquare uses to notify you of events. Go to Other, Settings, BlindSquare Sounds to listen to them and to select or deselect them.
- A new sound has been added to indicate when BlindSquare is retrieving information.
- Automatic language detection of Thai, Russian, Chinese, Japanese and Korean. If you use the iOS voices and not the Acapela voices for BlindSquare announcements, BlindSquare will detect place names and street names in these languages and speak them using the correct voice for the detected language.
- New language: Romanian
Wonderful GPS App
This is propably the best GPS app for the blind I have seen. I can't tell you how many times this app in conjuncion with Google Maps has gotten me out of tough situations with bus and cab drivers not knowing where they are going to my apartment what not. This app did much better then the piece of crap tomtom gps they were ising ahahah. Thank you so much and keep up the good work.
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: Feb 14, 2014
- Version: 1.63
- Size: 52.0 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bokmål, Norwegian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
- Seller: MIPsoft
- © MIPsoft
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.