Blink Shell: Mosh & SSH Terminal
By Carlos Cabanero
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
-Do Blink! Mosh and SSH did. Blink is the first professional, desktop-grade terminal for iOS that leverages the support of both. Thus, we can unequivocally guarantee stable connections, crazy-fast speeds, and full configurations. It can and should be your all-day-long tool. Check it out!
We had no choice. We had to build Blink or we were going to jump out the window in frustration over the tools we were using. We started by analyzing what the must-haves were and we ended up grounding Blink on these three concepts:
• Fast rendering: dmesg in your Unix server should be instantaneous. We can't wait even a second to render. We didn't need to reinvent the wheel to make this happen. We simply used Chromium's HTerm to ensure that rendering is perfect and fast, even with those special, tricky encodings.
• Always on: Mosh transcends SSH's variability. Mosh overcomes the unstable and intermittent connectivity that we all associate with mobile connections. You can check your Safari without fear of having to restart the SSH connection. You can flawlessly jump from home, to the train, and then the office thanks to Mosh. Blink is rock-solid connected all the way. Mosh is readily available and can be easily installed on your server. Go to https://mosh.mit.edu.
• Fully configurable: Blink embraces Bluetooth-coupled keyboards with gusto. But there's more, because we want more. Some like Caps as Esc on Vim, others Caps as Ctrl on Emacs. Blink champions them all. During your always-on sessions, you're in your zone.
• Custom Fonts and Themes: We know how important it is to have your terminal, your way. That's why we include a selection of fonts and themes, including Powerline variants. And if that isn't enough, you can create and add your own.
But, Blink is much more. Please read on.
• You should command your terminal, not navigate it. Blink will jump you right into a friendly shell and it'll be clear to you how to roll.
• The interface is straightforward. We dumped all menus and went full screen for your terminal. Use swipe to move between your open connections, slide down to close them, and even pinch to zoom!
• Configure your Blink connections by adding your own Hosts and RSA Encryption keys. Synchronise with iCloud. Everything will look familiar and you get to work, fast!
We've incorporated SplitView, for those necessary Google searches and chats with coworkers.
Blink is open source software. Participate in our community, and don’t forget to leave us your feedback and your feature(s) requests. Enjoy!
What's New in Version 7.0
- Selection Granularity at the character level.
- Mapped Ctrl+/ to 0x1f (undo on Emacs).
- Set Autolock with a timer.
- Improved behavior of SmartKeys when in SplitView.
- Remember KB language selection between sessions.
- Fixed issue with terminal resizing not resetting after rotation or SplitView
- Fixed issue with restart due to WKWebView changing on non-main thread.
Key Transmission is not as Expected
EDIT: emacs undo now works! Thanks devs! Screen rotation issue also seems mostly fixed! Great ssh + mosh app. Recommended.
While it's great that the developer offers key-remapping some keys like Ctrl+/ (undo in emacs) do not work as intended. This prevents it from being the 'pro emacs' 20$ app toted by the devs. There are a few other key transmission issues as well (see GH-issues page). This, plus there are a ton of resizing issues where 1/4 - 1/2 of the screen is non-usable until a new session is started. Resizing should be a trivial problem to solve. Please resolve this!
Overpriced for a terminal program that cant resize properly and can't transmit vanilla key-bindings.
Fantastic mobile terminal
This app is the best mobile terminal. It requires focus the first time to discover the options and understand the concept, but once you understand how it works, it is great! And I love the ability to get Caps Lock mapped to Esc.
Mosh of course is magic, especially when combined with tmux. With those utilities setup on your Linux server, nothing beats Blink Shell.
Best terminal app for iPad
Seriously, this app is worth every penny. Having mosh from my iPad Pro connected to all of my servers without interruption when switching networks is awesome. The simplistic configuration utility, complete fullscreen focus on the terminal, and ESC key mapping make this terminal app a must purchase for system administrators on the go.