Blink Shell: Mosh & SSH
By Carlos Cabanero
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
-Do Blink! Mosh and SSH did. Blink is the first professional, desktop-grade terminal for iOS that leverages the support of both. Thus, we can unequivocally guarantee stable connections, crazy-fast speeds, and full configurations. It can and should be your all-day-long tool. Check it out!
We had no choice. We had to build Blink or we were going to jump out the window in frustration over the tools we were using. We started by analyzing what the must-haves were and we ended up grounding Blink on these three concepts:
• Fast rendering: dmesg in your Unix server should be instantaneous. We can't wait even a second to render. We didn't need to reinvent the wheel to make this happen. We simply used Chromium's HTerm to ensure that rendering is perfect and fast, even with those special, tricky encodings.
• Always on: Mosh transcends SSH's variability. Mosh overcomes the unstable and intermittent connectivity that we all associate with mobile connections. You can check your Safari without fear of having to restart the SSH connection. You can flawlessly jump from home, to the train, and then the office thanks to Mosh. Blink is rock-solid connected all the way. Mosh is readily available and can be easily installed on your server. Go to https://mosh.mit.edu.
• Fully configurable: Blink embraces Bluetooth-coupled keyboards with gusto. But there's more, because we want more. Some like Caps as Esc on Vim, others Caps as Ctrl on Emacs. Blink champions them all. During your always-on sessions, you're in your zone.
• Custom Fonts and Themes: We know how important it is to have your terminal, your way. That's why we include a selection of fonts and themes, including Powerline variants. And if that isn't enough, you can create and add your own.
But, Blink is much more. Please read on.
• You should command your terminal, not navigate it. Blink will jump you right into a friendly shell and it'll be clear to you how to roll.
• The interface is straightforward. We dumped all menus and went full screen for your terminal. Use swipe to move between your open connections, slide down to close them, and even pinch to zoom!
• Configure your Blink connections by adding your own Hosts and RSA Encryption keys. Synchronise with iCloud. Everything will look familiar and you get to work, fast!
We've incorporated SplitView, for those necessary Google searches and chats with coworkers.
Blink is open source software. Participate in our community, and don’t forget to leave us your feedback and your feature(s) requests. Enjoy!
What's New in Version 9.014
- Fixed compatibility with iOS10
One more month, keeping you updated for more than a year!!! We have some interesting stuff this time:
- iPhone X support!
- Spotlight support! Connect directly to your server from wherever you are just by typing its name.
- Improved stability and terminal rendering in iOS11.
- Improved selection tuning.
- Shortcuts fixes.
- Closing a connecting mosh session shouldn't terminate the app.
- Ignore commands when app doesn't have focus. Should fix empty tabs!
We read your reviews and did our best to fix any issues too, but please remember to always open or contact our support so we can get more information when something isn't working.
Special thanks to AnjLab for their commits, and everyone who helped on GitHub for this release!
Full-Blown Emacs in iOS!
You know that warm fuzzy feeling you get when things work the way you like? Now I have the power my Mac and GNU/Linux terminals and Emacs in my iPhone /and/ iPad! Fast and responsive. Keep up the great work!