By Mary Kay Podlecki
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
"How much fabric will I need to make these quilt blocks?" "What would they look like in a quilt layout?" BlockFab will help you answer these questions for some traditional blocks in a variety of well-known quilt layouts. Choose from a small library of grid-based blocks, or from a library of patches frequently used by quilters. Then choose the number and size of blocks or patches. BlockFab will determine the amount of fabric you need to buy, and will give you some hints on cutting the blocks or patches from strips, based on the cutting assumptions used for calculating the fabric needed. Both English and metric units of measure are supported.
Not ready to make those blocks, but just want to dream and plan? You can play around with the blocks in sample layouts while varying colorways, layout styles, number of blocks, and pairing of blocks. With just a flick, tap, pinch, or twist, you can view thousands of possible variations. Simply follow the blue arrows.
BlockFab is not a quilt design app. However, it will let you quickly see the results of various design, color, and layout possibilities. And if you already have a pattern you like but you want to customize it by changing the size or number of blocks or by adding a pieced border, BlockFab will calculate the fabric required.
- Choose a block from a library of about 50 traditional, grid-based quilt blocks.
- Tap the blue arrow next to the block to view some sample quilt layouts using the chosen block.
- Instead of blocks, you can work with individual patch shapes. This is useful if you are making pieced borders, or if the block you are interested in is not in the block library.
- Use pickers to choose the number of blocks and the finished size of the blocks. You can enter the size in either inches or centimeters.
- BlockFab determines the fabric needed for each color in the chosen block, as well as for each piece in the block.
- See strip cutting guidelines for the blocks and patches you have chosen, for either right- or left-handed users.
- Choose a colorway for viewing the blocks, and vary the transparency for softer or bolder effects.
- Set fabric characteristics including usable width, shrinkage, and straightening allowance.
- Email a copy of the yardage needs so you will have a record of the fabric for this set of blocks.
- When you leave the application, your latest block and fabric choices will be saved, and this information will appear the next time you use the application. Thus you can customize BlockFab to use your own preferred fabric and quilting methods.
Photo Tip: You can save screenshots at any time. Press and hold the "Home" button followed by pressing the "Sleep/Wake button" once. When the screen flashes and a camera shutter sound plays, release the "Home" button. Locate the screenshot in your iPhone's camera roll or iPod's saved photos and send the image through email.
Pinch Tips: When using a pinch on a quilt layout, a small pinch in or out will change the scale by one block, whereas a large pinch will scale the quilt all the way up or down. A quick pinch works best. Pinches also work best in the diagonal direction, so that if you set down or lift up one finger before the other, it isn't mistaken for a flick. If you have long nails, try pinching with the sides of your fingers.
Flick Tip: A flick should be quick, with the single finger landing and taking off quickly, but traveling far enough in the horizontal or vertical direction to be an unmistakable flick. Flicking gestures must be done quickly to distinguish them from taps or dragging gestures.
BlockFab Terrific Free App for Quilters
I've been waiting for Mary Kay's new app, and it doesn't disappoint! For us quilters who like to see what a quilt will look like before investing the money and time to put it together, or for inspiration, or just for fun, this free app is a winner. You can choose the colorway and the block, and let the app show you how it would look with combinations of colors, various layouts, and even combined with another block.
It also gives fabric requirements, based on the number of blocks and the size of the block you choose, and provides instructions for cutting and piecing the block.
Attention to detail is clear, and I plan to spend many more hours playing with the app.
And all this for free??!
I created a quilt using this app and I must say it is amazing! I haven't designed many quilts in my own as I'm not much of a math person. I would recommend that if you are making different blocks to create a quilt make sample blocks first as some of the block sizes were a little off. It wasn't hard to tweak the measurements to get the right size though. :) Kudos to the developers for such an excellent and free tool for quilters!
Get it! I have this app, and I also paid $20 for the Quilter'sAppP. This one is FREE and yet it is infinitely more useful than the expensive one. You absolutely cannot go wrong here. Specify block size & # of blocks per project, calculate yardage, try some very basic sashing and layout options and even different colors. I got all kinds of ideas from this little gem.
- Category: Lifestyle
- Released: Jun 03, 2010
- Version: 1.0
- Size: 0.9 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Mary Kay Podlecki
- © 2010 Mary Kay Podlecki
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.1.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.