By Ole Begemann
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Blue Planet shows you wonderful satellite imagery of the Earth as your desktop background. The map changes live as the sun travels across the sky, illuminating different parts of the world and leaving others in the shadow of the night.
• Choose from four gorgeous maps.
• Let Blue Planet track the current time or simulate the course of the seasons manually.
• Save screenshots of the current view of the map.
• Place the Blue Planet Icon in the Dock or in the menu bar.
• Use Apple's Core Location technology to show your current location on the map.
• Center the map on your location or have it follow the sun's course across the sky.
• Launch Blue Planet automatically when you start your Mac (optional).
What's New in Version 1.2.1
Fixed an issue with determining your location
There are some annoyances but nothing that warrants anything else than a five star rating. It’s a great app. As another reviewer said, it would be nice if the wallpaper would also change (just to a static image of the map selected would be fine) so that when we go to the launcher, the background image is roughly the same as the wallpaper. Otherwise, it’d be nice to be able to put your own map backgrounds to be used. A simple image and the app itself would use the standard night lights for cities.
Again, great app. Glad you all gave this one away!
Good, but could be better
It works as expected which is great, but it could be improved a lot. I would like it if the app would set the actual desktop wallpaper. Whenever I go in to switch between spaces in mission control it shows my main wallpaper and not this. I’d also like to be able to have the image span across multiple monitors.
I love this app. I’ve been looking for something to do this for years!
I’d love a few extra options to play with (e.g. cloud cover, ability to set latitude / longitude, political maps, different projections), but what is here is very well executed. Thank you.