Hundreds of pages of boating information on your iPhone,iPod Touch or iPad! The Boater’s Pocket Reference caters to all levels of boating expertise with a wide variety of content including 800 illustrations and photographs and a myriad of charts and graphs. Boater’s Pocket Reference is a popular and useful printed book and the app is even better.
Handy, Fact-Filled Boating Guide
Boater’s Pocket Reference offers handy, how-to-do-it information and reference facts, figures, formulas, graphs, and tables about boating.
Who needs this book?
New boaters: This app provides an extensive introduction to all aspects of boating.
Experienced boaters: A great reference and memory jogger.
Everyone who wants to make their boating safer and more enjoyable.
* Piloting and Navigation—including the use of charts, GPS, radar, and sonar.
* Communications—VHF, SSB, satellite.
* U.S. and Canadian Coast Guard boating regulations
* International, U.S., and Canadian Navigation Rules (Rules of the Road)
* Understanding aids to navigation
* Understanding weather—air movement, fronts, clouds, weather maps.
* Boat types, design, and construction as well as boating terminology
* The essentials of good seamanship—the basics of operating a boat.
* Marlinespike seamanship—lines and knots—including 50 different knots.
* Mechanical—engines and propellers.
* Electrical—circuits, DC and AC wiring, batteries, chargers, inverters, lightning.
* Boat trailering tips, techniques, maintenance, wiring.
* General reference tables—time zones, holidays, weight and volume of liquids, and more.
* Extensive unit conversion tables
* Boating resources—organizations, phone numbers, web sites, including Coast Guard and Power Squadron.
* Glossary of marine terminology.
* Over 100 boating-related calculators.
No boater can afford to be without this valuable and handy guide.
About the Author
Thomas McEwen is an avid boater and former mining engineer. Tom is also a member of the Boulder Valley Sail and Power Squadron in Colorado.
You might also be interested in our other boating apps:
- Navigation Rules
- Boating Calcs
- Ship Captain's Medical Guide
* Fixing bug that caused some update issues.
Ratings and Reviews
Outstanding reference guide!
I’ve had this little book for about 15 years now, and while it may have been updated to reflect current technology, the basics will pretty much always be there. I’ve done a fair bit of offshore sailing and (you may think this weird), I read various sections of the book regularly as a way to pass time. E.g, the section on clouds - I can never remember the names of the various clouds - we’ll, there they are!
I can’t speak highly enough or this reference. Thanks to the author!! I just bought this on-line version for my iPhone. There it is on the screen now. Also, if you’ve never seen or bought Grog’s knots - do so. Fabulously easy to fathom how to tie knots. Well done!
This has an incredible amount of information that any boater whether beginner or advanced. Definitely worth the cost of the app!
A valuable App for every boater!
This App is my go to for any question on boats from operations to conversion tables! Worth the money to buy.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.